Author Topic: SVG: Rondo is not a Franchise Player  (Read 3680 times)

SVG: Rondo is not a Franchise Player
« on: February 07, 2013, 11:36:20 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I have honestly been back and forth on whether Rondo can be the go to guy on a title team so many times I have lost count.

Stan Van Gundy makes an interesting point.

"To me that's not a negative. I didn't say it as a negative. I think some people took it that way. I just don't see John Wall as a franchise player because - a lot like Rajon Rondo; I don't see him as a franchise player even though he's an All-Star - he's not a good enough shooter yet and he's not a reliable go-to scorer.

He's basically saying that if you can't count on a guy to be able to score at the end of games then is not a "Franchise" guy.

"In the NBA, your franchise guy has got to be a guy you can put the ball in his hands late in the game and he can get you a basket. I don't see that from John Wall at this point in his career. Maybe it will develop, but I don't see it."

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/van-gundy-clarifies-his-critique-wall

Not really sure I agree completely but I see his point. Basically if the Celtics want to contend then they have to have a go to scorer at the end of the games. That's what he is saying. A Paul Pierce.

That doesn't have to be Kevin Durant. A James Harden would work.

Ultimately I believe that Van Gundy is right about the scorer. It comes down to whether you think Rondo can evolve into being a player you can count on at the end of games to get you a basket. I think it's possible and he has shown signs but he isn't there yet.

That being said there are a lot of scorers in this league. I think if the Celtics can get this scorer along side Rondo then we are one or two pieces away from consistent contention after KG and Paul leave. I also think we have more then enough assets to get those couple pieces. It will be getting that crunch time scorer that will be key.

Any thoughts on available scorers out there? Rudy Gay was... Danny Granger has shown he can fill it up. If only we could have landed Harden instead of green in the Perk trade...

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Re: SVG: Rondo is not a Franchise Player
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 11:40:01 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Sounds like SVG doesn't think Dwight Howard was a franchise player.

You can't put the ball in Dwight's hands and expect him to carry you either.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 11:49:16 AM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
It's funny that I initially saw bits and pieces of this article that only referenced John wall not being a franchise player, and I was thinking you could just replace wall's name with Rondo and its still true.  Then I see that van gundy made the same analogy.  Actually, I think walls skill set allows him to potentially be a franchise player moreso than Rondo' s skill set

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 11:49:51 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Name sounds familiar...Who does he coach for again?

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 11:51:35 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Sounds like SVG doesn't think Dwight Howard was a franchise player.

You can't put the ball in Dwight's hands and expect him to carry you either.

Thought the same thing. I think it's obvious he's not. Now with the back injury and the fact he still has sciatica I don't think he ever will be.

I really hope the Lakers make him their 5 year MAX guy.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 11:55:17 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Most franchise players are definitely good to great at scoring but you don't necessarily have to be one to be a franchise player.

Bill Russell?

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 12:02:21 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Has there even been a point guard who was a franchise guy?

I mean I wouldnt consider Stockton, Nash, or Kidd to be franchise guys and they're living legends at the pg spot.

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 12:04:25 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think that SVG is right for the most part about his take on what it takes to be a franchise player. What you want is certain qualities, and then add to that, be a go to player. I think that's more or less right, though there are probably exceptions to that rule that have to do with big men.

Whether Rondo is a franchise player or not is a slightly different discussion.

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 12:08:59 PM »

Offline michael32951

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 0
I guess SVG doesn't count assists for franchise players, at the end of close games Rondo will either take it to the hoop and either pass it to an open man if double teamed or make a layup.

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 12:12:07 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Has there even been a point guard who was a franchise guy?

I mean I wouldnt consider Stockton, Nash, or Kidd to be franchise guys and they're living legends at the pg spot.

Oscar and Magic.

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 12:14:46 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
 SVG thinking rondo is not a franchise player proves nothing but SVG doesnt think rondo is a franchise player....lots of people think that

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 12:18:21 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
A franchise player is a star player you can build a team around.

I think you can certainly build a team around Rondo, but not in the same way you can with a franchise player.

If Rondo can learn to make the outside jumper with higher consistency, and so far this season he has made that jump in my opinion, Rondo will be deadly in the same mold as a CP3, Deron Williams and Kyrie Irving.

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 12:20:36 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
To clarify, this is what SVG said about Wall, which I presume applies to Rondo, as well:

"I don't think he can be your best player, certainly not clearly your best player. You need one guy better than him or a couple of guys at his talent level for them to win.

So, Van Gundy seems to believe that you can win without that franchise player.  I think a reasonable course for the Celtics would be to avoid major moves that don't bring back a player as good as Rondo until they assess how he will play post-injury to see if he can be one of a group of roughly equal players to build around as a group.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 12:21:22 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
SVG restating the obvious - at least to everyone outside Boston.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 12:24:09 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
This is old news. Csbloggers may not agree, but NBA GMs do, which is why Ainge hasn't been able to find a good deal for him despite trying wicked haaaahhdddd.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)