Author Topic: Stern Expects NBA To Begin HGH Blood Testing By Next Season  (Read 4054 times)

Stern Expects NBA To Begin HGH Blood Testing By Next Season
« on: February 06, 2013, 05:20:08 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225984/Stern-Expects-NBA-To-Begin-HGH-Blood-Testing-By-Next-Season

David Stern expects the NBA to adopt blood testing for HGH by the start of the 13-14 season.

“We watch what’s going on in baseball, we watch the negotiations that are going in with football, and it is my expectation that by next season [we] will be doing blood testing for HGH,” Stern told WCCO radio in Minnesota. “Our players have been terrific. They lead this in some ways, saying, ‘ We do not want to have anything less than the best.’ That’s been the way it’s been since 1983.”

Stern said Wednesday that testing hadn’t been implemented to this point because “there hasn’t been a favored testing protocol yet” and stated that he didn’t believe the NBA has a serious problem with HGH, which is on the league’s list of banned substances.

“If I say I don’t have a concern, everyone says I’m a Pollyanna,” Stern said. “I don’t have any reason to know one way or another. My guess is and my hope is that it’s not widely used in the NBA.”

Time to sell your stock in Dwight Howard.  <Insert LeBron Joke Here>

Re: Stern Expects NBA To Begin HGH Blood Testing By Next Season
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 05:35:44 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Yeah, LeBron and Howard are the first two names that come to mind

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 05:36:46 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I think that growth in his jaw that Lebron had removed several years ago that was due to increased HGH may have scared him straight.  Maybe not.

Smitty77

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
http://nba.si.com/2013/02/06/david-stern-hgh-testing-blood-nba-mlb-nfl/

Thank the lord. I thought the NBA would already be across this. One of the big teams in australian football is going through a massive scandal with this at the moment, so this sort of stuff is grabbing my attention a bit more these days.

Lebron I'm looking at you buddy. With your ridiculous physique, soft tissue cramps, and miraculous recovery from injuries.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I really couldn't care less about a player using HGH or not.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Disagree.

PEDs are a problem, not only at the pro level of many sports, but in college sports and in high school.

To condone in any way shape or form PEDs for professional sports, be it by a laissez-faire policy, a wink-wink, or outright collusion by informing athletes surreptitiously when they are going to be tested, tells high school kids it's OK.

PED use at high schools is a growing problem, only to be made worse by looking the other way. The temptation is great for high school kids to use PEDs to compete to get scholarships and pursue dreams to be a pro.

Not cool.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Disagree.

PEDs are a problem, not only at the pro level of many sports, but in college sports and in high school.

To condone in any way shape or form PEDs for professional sports, be it by a laissez-faire policy, a wink-wink, or outright collusion by informing athletes surreptitiously when they are going to be tested, tells high school kids it's OK.

PED use at high schools is a growing problem, only to be made worse by looking the other way. The temptation is great for high school kids to use PEDs to compete to get scholarships and pursue dreams to be a pro.

Not cool.

Be that as it may, I really couldn't care less about a person using HGH or not.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
kinda late to the party Stern.  And I highly doubt he's going after Bron

Offline contramundum

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 36

Disagree.

Not cool.

I hear that.  I want to see guys with 42" Verticals.  I don't want players missing loads of games due to injuries.  I want to see 110mph fastballs, 4.2 second 40yd dash, all that crap.  I don't care if Lance was on the juice, disqualify all the dopers and the winner of those cycle races was probably in 30th place.  Swoll up muscles, amazing feats.  I want to see that.  If these guys, who make millions of dollars, desire to use PED's to gain a competitive edge, then I'm not gonna stop em, I'm just going to enjoy the games. 

Is it fair?  I don't know - are they going to start banning whole fat milk because its high in protein and is an excellent mass builder?  Is it an unfair advantage to eat clean and healthy?  Where does it end?  Deer antler spray?  Come on son...

As for the pressure on the high school athletes - is that any different than any other drug problem?  I knew a girl in high school that took diet pills to stay focused and energetic.  She was our saludictorian.  Oh well, she might be a doctor now for all I know, she also might have health problems.  I'm sure there was teacher, peer and parent pressure involved too.

I guess this kind of stuff happens regardless.  If it isn't HGH, there will be something else to replace it.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
testosterone perhaps would be the next one they use.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
awesome. but to eja's point, the tests need to be administered in a "fair" way (ie: let's not let the referees decide who gets tested or not). Best would be a third party that decides who to test and when at random.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
David Stern says hi, Lebron.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
Think they need to test the refs for weed and alcohol first.... ;)
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Disagree.

Not cool.

I hear that.  I want to see guys with 42" Verticals.  I don't want players missing loads of games due to injuries.  I want to see 110mph fastballs, 4.2 second 40yd dash, all that crap.  I don't care if Lance was on the juice, disqualify all the dopers and the winner of those cycle races was probably in 30th place.  Swoll up muscles, amazing feats.  I want to see that.  If these guys, who make millions of dollars, desire to use PED's to gain a competitive edge, then I'm not gonna stop em, I'm just going to enjoy the games. 

Is it fair?  I don't know - are they going to start banning whole fat milk because its high in protein and is an excellent mass builder?  Is it an unfair advantage to eat clean and healthy?  Where does it end?  Deer antler spray?  Come on son...

As for the pressure on the high school athletes - is that any different than any other drug problem?  I knew a girl in high school that took diet pills to stay focused and energetic.  She was our saludictorian.  Oh well, she might be a doctor now for all I know, she also might have health problems.  I'm sure there was teacher, peer and parent pressure involved too.

I guess this kind of stuff happens regardless.  If it isn't HGH, there will be something else to replace it.

That's all well and good but what happens if the celtics players don't want to take them and other teams in the east are? Happy to lose games and playoff series' because the other team is bigger, stronger, and faster than yours?

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 12:21:01 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
What are the health hazards of HGH?  If it's relatively safe, it doesn't bother me.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson