Author Topic: Pick 2 Draft 2013: Interest Thread  (Read 61823 times)

Re: Pick 2 Draft 2013: Interest Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2013, 03:16:41 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
So, how will we keep track of teams' salaries/cap room?  I'm fine with doing it for myself but with 30ish owners I'm guessing some will not pay close attention.
I think people will just track it for themselves.

Maybe put the salaries next to players on team roster page and total team salary alongside the roster. Each team owner can do that when posting updated team roster on that thread.

I love the salaries idea.

But why not we all just get one hard cap instead of using real teams' budgets? Just a suggestion.

It's just a recognition that certain teams have built-in advantages.  Not only do the Lakers have Dwight Howard and Jodie Meeks, but they can spend $30 million more than anybody else.

If the idea of the Pick 2 draft is to start with the foundation of a real team and see where you end up, then it makes sense to use that team's actual situation.  We'd never do something like this in the CB Draft, on the other hand, as that starts from scratch.

I was so-so on this idea at first, but I'm warming up to it.  I'm looking forward to see how many of the wealthy team owners go willy-nilly on salaries and wind up putting together a bloated, overpaid, incohesive team.  Kinda like today's Lakers and last decade's Knicks.

I don't think that will happen to anyone.

I think what we will see is those teams will just be able to have more expensive role players on their roster. When other teams are looking for guys on minor perhaps even minimum contracts, the Lakers will be able to take guys like Bass at $7 million or Maxiell or $5 million with 9th-12th picks.

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2013, 03:17:57 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So, how will we keep track of teams' salaries/cap room?  I'm fine with doing it for myself but with 30ish owners I'm guessing some will not pay close attention.

Maybe put the salaries next to players on team roster page and total team salary alongside the roster. Each team owner can do that when posting updated team roster on that thread.

But why not we all just get one hard cap instead of using real teams' budgets? Just a suggestion.

It's just a recognition that certain teams have built-in advantages.  Not only do the Lakers have Dwight Howard and Jodie Meeks, but they can spend $30 million more than anybody else.

If the idea of the Pick 2 draft is to start with the foundation of a real team and see where you end up, then it makes sense to use that team's actual situation.  We'd never do something like this in the CB Draft, on the other hand, as that starts from scratch.

I was so-so on this idea at first, but I'm warming up to it.  I'm looking forward to see how many of the wealthy team owners go willy-nilly on salaries and wind up putting together a bloated, overpaid, incohesive team.  Kinda like today's Lakers and last decade's Knicks.

Yeah, hopefully it's as interesting as I'm hoping.  I wanted to add a deeper layer this year.  It's an experiment, and if it doesn't work, we'll adjust and/or scrap the whole salary idea next year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2013, 03:19:25 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I think what we will see is those teams will just be able to have more expensive role players on their roster. When other teams are looking for guys on minor perhaps even minimum contracts, the Lakers will be able to take guys like Bass at $7 million or Maxiell or $5 million with 9th-12th picks.

See, I think that's how you or I or several other people would play it.  But in practice I think at least one owner will get budget-drunk and make some poor decisions because of it.

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2013, 03:24:05 PM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
I'm interested in participating again!
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2013, 04:08:24 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

See, I think that's how you or I or several other people would play it.  But in practice I think at least one owner will get budget-drunk and make some poor decisions because of it.

I am thinking a few teams are going to go over budget when adding their role players and end up looking for salary dump type trades in that second week to try and get below the salary cut-off.

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2013, 04:34:10 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
Bumpppppppppppppppppppp
How many people do we have?

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2013, 04:45:09 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I'm getting excited to start this shizzle

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2013, 04:45:44 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
...half expected that to come out saying s*****e

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2013, 06:52:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Since salaries come.into place, what about future draft picks? Also, do trades have to conform to the CBA? Do they matter?

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2013, 06:53:25 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Since salaries come.into place, what about future draft picks? Also, do trades have to conform to the CBA? Do they matter?

I don't know what you mean about future picks. 

As for trades, the only financial rule is that a trade can't put you over budget.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2013, 07:26:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I don't know what you mean about future picks. 

As for trades, the only financial rule is that a trade can't put you over budget.
I mean, future picks. If we have to conform to a salary cap, shouldnt we also be able to help our ability to bargain by buying a bad contract for a future pick. Seems have a lot of ccap space makes it easier for you to buy future picks which might make your own self analysis of the job u have done easier or more fun.

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2013, 07:34:19 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Well, I've never done a draft here, so this seems like a good way to test out whether I'd like it or not.  As long as it isn't this weekend (big ice fishing derby), I'm in.

Who knows, this could be fun.

« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2013, 07:46:29 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
Get ready to be amazed by my team as it might be good but realistically it will be bad :(

« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2013, 07:49:43 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Lucky and I are teaming up again. The best combo since Jason Priestly invented The Priestly.

« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2013, 08:33:25 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
Lucky and I are teaming up again. The best combo since Jason Priestly invented The Priestly.

We neeed to keep this thread alive!!