Author Topic: Building your team to beat another team  (Read 1961 times)

Building your team to beat another team
« on: February 06, 2013, 03:36:21 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Your thoughts?

I remember people thinking we built this year's team just to match up with Miami (thus copying their style at first) but it was failing.

Is it good to play like other teams to beat them? For example, Spurs build their team to match up against the Thunder since they expect to face them in the playoffs? Or is it better to  play your own style, with your own strengths?

Is the playoffs everything?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Re: Building your team to beat another team
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 04:07:48 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think you build the core of your team first (without regard for competitors yet) and then choose your role players to best play against the top teams within your own conference (with little reference to opposing conference).

Like when San Antonio switched from plodders like Rasho Nesterovic and Nazr Mohammed to more mobile big men like Fabricio Oberto to better matchup defensively against Dirk Nowitzki's Mavs and Steve Nash's Suns.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 08:58:44 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I think you build the core of your team first (without regard for competitors yet) and then choose your role players to best play against the top teams within your own conference (with little reference to opposing conference).

Like when San Antonio switched from plodders like Rasho Nesterovic and Nazr Mohammed to more mobile big men like Fabricio Oberto to better matchup defensively against Dirk Nowitzki's Mavs and Steve Nash's Suns.

Or us getting runners and not bigs to beat the Heat
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 09:31:05 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Building from scratch? I'm going inside/out. Trying to get top notch bigs & go from there.

Otherwise, I probably go Who's route. Establish your core first regardless of position, then build around it accordingly. Not really building for your conference opponents until you get into role players.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 09:33:28 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Building from scratch? I'm going inside/out. Trying to get top notch bigs & go from there.

Otherwise, I probably go Who's route. Establish your core first regardless of position, then build around it accordingly. Not really building for your conference opponents until you get into role players.
Yeah I think that's the way to go too, you can't really dictate what "type" high level talent is available to you most of the time.

Sometimes its Blake Griffin, Anthony Davis, KG, LeBron, etc. Other times its Rose, Brandon Roy, Kyrie, CP3, Deron, etc...

Certainly size is important when looking at overall ceiling.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 09:39:18 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think if you build your team specifically to beat another team you will end up losing because inevitably you just spend too much money targeting lesser versions of the team you are trying to beat. Just build the best team you can, and make small specific tweaks from there.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 10:07:16 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
It all depends on your current situation and where your teams at. Definitely within your conference its a good idea tho.

I thought it was real stupid when we loaded up with Shaq and JO to match up with LA's size if in fact that's why we did it.

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 10:11:55 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
If Cs plan to meet HEAT at the final of Est, they have to escape form 8th position. In order to beat HEAT Cs have to get a big center, and to push Green and Bass to be much efficent in defence. If Raptors waive Pietrus, I will sign him ASAP

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 10:45:53 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Gotta try and get your franchise 1a and 1b guys first. Then you build around those players with role players that fit their game and the system you are trying to run with them.