Author Topic: ESPN's 5-on-5: What's the best Kevin Garnett trade the Celtics can make?  (Read 17634 times)

Re: ESPN's 5-on-5: What's the best Kevin Garnett trade the Celtics can make?
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2013, 09:43:52 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 373

Lots of fans feel that way.  To me, though, "hope for improvement" reminds me of these days:

Ya, but just after those days were the young Al Jefferson, Rondo, Perk, Delonte and Tony Allen days.  And, even while we got to enjoy those young talents, there was that exciting hope of landing Durant (or Oden, I know, I know) during that period.  Call me crazy, but that period didn't bum me out at all.

« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2013, 09:45:36 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Lots of fans feel that way.  To me, though, "hope for improvement" reminds me of these days:

Ya, but just after those days were the young Al Jefferson, Rondo, Perk, Delonte and Tony Allen days.  And, even while we got to enjoy those young talents, there was that exciting hope of landing Durant (or Oden, I know, I know) during that period.  Call me crazy, but that period didn't bum me out at all.

The "what ifs" were great at the time. 

The product on the floor was not. 

« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2013, 10:16:30 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Because we'll have to get young and suck eventually.

I'm not convinced that the Celtics have to go through a "young and suck" phase between the current and the next championship windows.

The only way I could see that being the case is if Rondo turns into a superstar (i.e. legitimate top 4-5 MVP candidate) when he gets back from his injury.

We aren't building a contender post-Pierce/KG without a superstar, and we aren't getting one in free agency.  So it's Rondo, tank for the lottery, or acquire various young assets over the course of a few years and make some trades. 

Personally, I view the latter of the three options as the most likely one.  But it means we have to get young and suck for a few years (at least).

I'm thinking it's going to be a combination of one and three. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2013, 12:24:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I'm not convinced that the Celtics have to go through a "young and suck" phase between the current and the next championship windows.

The only way I could see that being the case is if Rondo turns into a superstar (i.e. legitimate top 4-5 MVP candidate) when he gets back from his injury.

We aren't building a contender post-Pierce/KG without a superstar, and we aren't getting one in free agency.  So it's Rondo, tank for the lottery, or acquire various young assets over the course of a few years and make some trades. 

Personally, I view the latter of the three options as the most likely one.  But it means we have to get young and suck for a few years (at least).

That's fine, but it still requires us to get bad enough to be a borderline lottery team for a few seasons.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2013, 02:12:28 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

That's fine, but it still requires us to get bad enough to be a borderline lottery team for a few seasons.

Could you explain why that's the case?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2013, 02:45:57 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Could you explain why that's the case?

It's the most probable, given the current information. Right now it looks like Danny is going to trust his drafting record, and build assets around Rondo, with the team maturing around him, or trading for the pieces. Right now our long term pieces are Sully, Bradley, and spare parts. Possibly Green elevates himself to piece or asset, but his contract is pretty heavy bidness at the moment.

Lee and Bass are spare parts for a contender, nut unlikely building parts for a franchise on the mend, unless they're part of a package of the future assets we have, including our draft picks.

So to me the path is one of two ways; trade our current assets for future assets (Pierce/Garnett being the more prominent, including Lee, Bass and Green), trade our future assets for current assets, or stand pat.

If we're standing pat, you let Pierce and Garnett play, and hold on to the future assets (notably the 2014 puck and beyond) , and pray we draft well.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner