Author Topic: We Are Playing Celtics Championship Basketball Finally.  (Read 9598 times)

Re: We Are Playing Celtics Championship Basketball Finally.
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2013, 11:03:30 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
The speed, hustle, and chemistry of the bench "big 3" as I now call them... Green, Terry, and Barbosa has really sparked this team. Pierce thriving as a point forward for the first unit and a suffocating 1 2 punch of AB and Lee on the defensive end together with that unit messes opposing offenses badly.

I miss Rondo and Sully... but this is the best the team has looked all year.

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2013, 11:14:34 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
6 straight now.....

But the magic and kings are terrible
And the clippers didnt have chris paul
And the raptors well they are still trying to gel after the trade
And the lakers are just terrible, the celtics should have been them by at least 40 like a real championship team would have

oh yeah, there was the heat, but hey they just played really hard that game

If the celtics want to prove to me they are a championship level team, they need to go out and beat some teams that are not on their schedule.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2013, 11:20:46 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
They are definitely playing "Championship" style basketball. They are good enough to win a championship.  While all other teams feature their superstars, the C's play team ball, just like the 60's and 70's. The C's and the Spurs will change how teams are build from now on. Team Ball. Celtics Basketball.

And no it's not Rondo's fault they were losing, it's Doc's fault for not making them play "Team Championship" style basketball. Next year they will be even better with Rondo playing "Celtics Basketball"

Rondo can't shoot a semi-contested jumpshot and doesn't move much without the ball. In other words, he is utterly useless on the court if he doesn't dominate the ball. If Rondo is playing, Doc has no choice but to let him pound the rock until someone gets open.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2013, 11:25:15 AM »

Offline GreenNote

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11
I think what we are failing to realize is that in 08 we were very unpredictable because the league had not seen the team yet and there was a breath of fresh air. I feel like something similar is going on currently and it is going to be exciting.

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2013, 11:31:26 AM »

Offline RedSpades

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4

Still a great team and we were beating them really well in the first half, but unfortunately, the C's took their foot off the pedal in the second half and almost lost to them.

They are still incredibly feisty with Gay being added to their team. They are tougher than what their record shows, that's for sure. And we played away. We still won and showed that the bench can perform during clutch moments while losing by double digits.

And the lakers are just terrible, the celtics should have been them by at least 40 like a real championship team would have

Uh dude, we were beating them by 32 at one point... and the whole fourth quarter was played by scrubs, which knocked the final score down. The Lakers did win 5 of their last 6 games, but yeah, without Gasol, they aren't as good, but at least give the C's some props here...

Okay... so you just don't want to give them credit for that?

If the celtics want to prove to me they are a championship level team, they need to go out and beat some teams that are not on their schedule.

What... they need to go out and beat some teams that are not on their schedule? What are you talking about...

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2013, 11:37:03 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

What... they need to go out and beat some teams that are not on their schedule? What are you talking about...

Think he's being tongue-in-cheek, making fun of people who discount the wins. 

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2013, 11:39:43 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I really don't buy the Rondo thing as being a huge key - remember, we won 6 in a row a few weeks back, and blew a few very winnable games during the losing streak.

But one thing I have noticed lately is players are looking 2 and 3 passes ahead, rotating the ball quickly and crisply until the defense can't keep up.  The 08 and 09 teams did that, but the Rondo-led team this year hadn't.  Can't discount the value of ball movement both in getting shots and keeping guys mentally involved.

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2013, 11:40:58 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Again, winning is great. 

The team is playing really well.

I don't see the championship contender out there. 

I see a team that can beat anyone on a single night, but I don't see a team that will beat the top teams (and their might be only 4 of them in the league) in a 7 game series. 

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2013, 11:47:15 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
They are definitely playing "Championship" style basketball. They are good enough to win a championship.  While all other teams feature their superstars, the C's play team ball, just like the 60's and 70's. The C's and the Spurs will change how teams are build from now on. Team Ball. Celtics Basketball.

And no it's not Rondo's fault they were losing, it's Doc's fault for not making them play "Team Championship" style basketball. Next year they will be even better with Rondo playing "Celtics Basketball"

Rondo can't shoot a semi-contested jumpshot and doesn't move much without the ball. In other words, he is utterly useless on the court if he doesn't dominate the ball. If Rondo is playing, Doc has no choice but to let him pound the rock until someone gets open.

It's not true at all that Rondo doesn't move much without the ball and I'm curious about what evidence you have that Rondo shoots semi-contested jump shots worse than other players.

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2013, 12:08:02 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
6 straight now.....

The six wins have been against terrible teams, the Lakers who are the biggest mess in the league, the Clippers without Paul, who then lost the next night to the Wizards, and the Heat. If they can continue to play this way against the Nuggets, the Bulls, on the west coast trip, and against a much tougher schedule after the all star break, they may have something here. That said, I will enjoy this as long as it continues.

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2013, 12:10:05 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

It's not true at all that Rondo doesn't move much without the ball and I'm curious about what evidence you have that Rondo shoots semi-contested jump shots worse than other players.

There is no evidence, of course. It just fits the narrative that this team is better without Rondo. Which is foolish. How come the bench guys all of a sudden are playing better? Why weren't they playing this well before when Rondo wasn't on the floor. A lot of the crap play before Rondo's injury is on these guys.

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2013, 01:03:44 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
6 straight now.....

The six wins have been against terrible teams, the Lakers who are the biggest mess in the league, the Clippers without Paul, who then lost the next night to the Wizards, and the Heat. If they can continue to play this way against the Nuggets, the Bulls, on the west coast trip, and against a much tougher schedule after the all star break, they may have something here. That said, I will enjoy this as long as it continues.
Miami Heat?

And if the lakers are the biggest mess in the league... but just won 3 straight road games prior to last night... then how would you describe the 3 teams that LA just beat in their own buildings?  The BIGGEST UGLIEST MOST DISGUSTING 3 MESSES TO EVER HAVE MESSED?  While LA is a mess indeed, they still have a ton of talent on that team.  A win over that team is still not an easy task.  Just ask Brooklyn.

Think he's being tongue-in-cheek, making fun of people who discount the wins. 
Thanks fwf.  Sorry for the confusion redspades, hoped everyone would catch that!
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2013, 01:08:59 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
6 straight now.....

If the celtics want to prove to me they are a championship level team, they need to go out and knock a couple of teams out of the playoffs and look pretty competitive in the ECF if they don't win it.

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2013, 01:11:26 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
I HATE the "we beat bad teams" so this win streak doesn't mean anything argument... its the NBA. They're all pros! Any team can be any team on a given night. Putting together 6 straight wins is tough in this league... I don't care who they're playing the Celts are playing very well right now and im not going to take anything away from them because they haven't beat 6 "good teams."

They can only play whose on their schedule

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2013, 01:14:34 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

They can only play whose on their schedule
Exactly, which is why the team needs to keep playing well and winning.

We've played 10 mostly bad games in our losing streaks (3 weren't so bad but the rest blech) and 12 good games in our two winning streaks (some clearly better than others).

The team needs to keep winning and playing well, that's it. If you're frustrated that people are skeptical due to scheduling strength both home/away and opponent, remember our previous awful road trip and other losing streaks.

This team is barely out of the 8th seed, they haven't shown anyone anything yet.