Author Topic: We Are Playing Celtics Championship Basketball Finally.  (Read 9605 times)

Re: We Are Playing Celtics Championship Basketball Finally.
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 10:21:02 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
the difference between Denver and the Celtics is that you have Kevin Garnett/Paul Pierce...and Terry to take the big shots.

Denver plays solid team basketball, but in the playoffs you need that guy who can make the winning play, hit the dagger.

Pierce/KG can still give you that..and Terry as well

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 10:33:20 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
They have won 4 games. One against one of the worst teams in the league, one against one of the bottom 6 or 7 teams in the league, one against the Clippers without Chris Paul (who lost the next night at the Wizards) and one against Miami. I would say put the championship trophy on a plane to Boston immediately.

The Wizards aren't so bad now that Wall is back.  They just beat the Knicks.  But I guess the Knicks probably aren't a championship contender either.

And every time someone brings up that this guy or that guy isn't playing, or this was one game not a series I want to puke.  In the playoffs Garnett won't come out every five minutes so Collins can come in and when Pierce was coming back into the game tonight against the Raptors in the second quarter with 7 minutes to go, Pierce had played 8 minutes. 

Every time KG gets on a roll and starts knocking down shots he has to come out on his five minute plan.  The Celtics have done this for the sole reason of saving Garnett and Pierce for the playoffs.  So I expect we might be a bit better in the playoffs than we are now.

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 10:39:07 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
They have won 4 games. One against one of the worst teams in the league, one against one of the bottom 6 or 7 teams in the league, one against the Clippers without Chris Paul (who lost the next night at the Wizards) and one against Miami. I would say put the championship trophy on a plane to Boston immediately.

The Wizards aren't so bad now that Wall is back.  They just beat the Knicks.  But I guess the Knicks probably aren't a championship contender either.

And every time someone brings up that this guy or that guy isn't playing, or this was one game not a series I want to puke.  In the playoffs Garnett won't come out every five minutes so Collins can come in and when Pierce was coming back into the game tonight against the Raptors in the second quarter with 7 minutes to go, Pierce had played 8 minutes. 

Every time KG gets on a roll and starts knocking down shots he has to come out on his five minute plan.  The Celtics have done this for the sole reason of saving Garnett and Pierce for the playoffs.  So I expect we might be a bit better in the playoffs than we are now.

NBA Playoffs:NBA regular season :: Potatoes:The number "12"
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2013, 10:40:59 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
No, they are not.

The have won 4 straight with is good.

But they are not on the level of championship basketball.

Make that 5 straight...

Also what - beating bad teams is a bad thing?  Isn't that what we are supposed to do?

We have had champtionship calbre teams in the past who couldn't beat a bad team to save their lives, becauset hey only played against good teams.   This attitude seems to have been led by the might Rondo, who mysteriously dissapeared just as we started beating teams we are supposed to beat.

Funny that.

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2013, 10:42:22 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
No, they are not.

Make that 5 straight...

Also what - beating bad teams is a bad thing?  Isn't that what we are supposed to do?

We have had champtionship calbre teams in the past who couldn't beat a bad team to save their lives, becauset hey only played against good teams.   This attitude seems to have been led by the might Rondo, who mysteriously dissapeared just as we started beating teams we are supposed to beat.

Funny that.

Yep... it's all on Rondo now! It's always easiest to blame the guy who isn't there.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2013, 10:44:52 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210

NBA Playoffs:NBA regular season :: Potatoes:The number "12"

Apparently every team gets better in the playoffs but us.  Sucks to be the Celtics I guess.

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2013, 10:52:23 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
P.s.

Haven't we just strung together two 5+ game win streaks in a row, separated by a 3 game losing streak?

IIRC we won 6 straight, lost 3 straight, and now won 5 straight.

If that memory of mine serves me correctly that's 11 out of the last 14 games we've won, and many of those 11 have been against strong playoff teams.

To be honest it's not just the figures in the W column either.  We've been playing significantly better over the last month and our defense is back to champtionship calibre defense, where it needs to be.

We It's been years since we've been a strong offensive team, and yet we've always been considered a champtionship contender.  Many may not take us seriously, but there are certain teams out there (like Miami) who have gone to war with us many times over the years, and they will treat us like a contender any time they play us.  If we did finish up as a 7th or 8th seed, a lot of 1st / 2nd seeds are not going to want to play us in that position.  They know we've defied the odds before - don't underestimate championship experience.   

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2013, 10:58:02 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
No, they are not.

Make that 5 straight...

Funny that.

Yep... it's all on Rondo now! It's always easiest to blame the guy who isn't there.

Are you even going to TRY to deny that Rondo plays significantly worse (and with less effort) in non-televised regular season games against weak competition?

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2013, 11:01:36 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
No, they are not.

Make that 5 straight...

Funny that.

Are you even going to TRY to deny that Rondo plays significantly worse (and with less effort) in non-televised regular season games against weak competition?

Didn't say that. I believe, you can not just say that Rondo is the leader of this syndrome. It's all of the Celtics. They're vets!
Rondo essentially grew up under Pierce so if anyone, blame him!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2013, 12:27:41 AM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
P.s.

Haven't we just strung together two 5+ game win streaks in a row, separated by a 3 game losing streak?

IIRC we won 6 straight, lost 3 straight, and now won 5 straight.

If that memory of mine serves me correctly that's 11 out of the last 14 games we've won, and many of those 11 have been against strong playoff teams.

To be honest it's not just the figures in the W column either.  We've been playing significantly better over the last month and our defense is back to champtionship calibre defense, where it needs to be.

It was a six games losing streak, not three.

FWIW, our win/loss record since December 27th:

4 game losing streak (lost vs. 3 playoff teams)
6 game win streak (won vs. 4 playoff teams)
6 game losing streak (lost vs. 3 playoff teams)
5 game win streak (won vs. 2 playoff teams)

While I agree that the defense has significantly improved over the last month or so, they're still a very inconsistent team.

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2013, 10:20:58 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
They are definitely playing "Championship" style basketball. They are good enough to win a championship.  While all other teams feature their superstars, the C's play team ball, just like the 60's and 70's. The C's and the Spurs will change how teams are build from now on. Team Ball. Celtics Basketball.

And no it's not Rondo's fault they were losing, it's Doc's fault for not making them play "Team Championship" style basketball. Next year they will be even better with Rondo playing "Celtics Basketball"

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2013, 10:55:46 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
No, they are not.

Make that 5 straight...

Funny that.

It should be pretty clear that the team as a whole is playing with more effort and focus now than they were earlier in the season. Not only could people like you not tell that they were coasting but you blamed the overall team play on Rondo coasting.

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2013, 10:56:19 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Love the   new Celtics playing PURE team ball

yea......I know the Nuggets are play n awesome ball.........and they very well may beat the C's.....

but  I' m finally enjoying THIS version of the Celtics play CORRECT team play.

no more standing around , ball movement,

turn overs down!   ball movement up......team energy up ......confidence up......smiles on every bodies faces......

please don't return to "stall ball". of Rondo

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2013, 10:58:45 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
What Kobe said...

"It's typical Celtics basketball," Bryant said. "They all just put their hard hats on and they go out and go hard and figure things out. It always just seems like whenever their backs are against the wall, you know that's when you really see the best from them. Then they perform and step up and play well, just like they did last year. They made that playoff run, that's just what this team does. They kind of rope-a-dope you a little bit."

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2013, 11:00:37 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
A win against the Nugs would legitimately show that we are contenders. Can we do that?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]