Author Topic: We Are Playing Celtics Championship Basketball Finally.  (Read 9610 times)

Re: We Are Playing Celtics Championship Basketball Finally.
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 02:34:01 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Wasn't Cowens an MVP?

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 02:48:44 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
While the wheels certainly could come off this train, I'm mildly upbeat about the Celts and like the team we have today.

If we finish 8th, I love that we get a guaranteed chance to battle the Heat. I want that battle. I think we match up better this year.

That said, one game at a time.

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 03:28:40 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
First of all, the celtics beat Miami without Rondo.  To disregard that game as beating a quality opponent is being ridiculous.  Second, regarding the rest of their opponents since Rondo's been out, the celtics can only beat the teams on their schedule.  To use that argument of weak opponents as backing for stating blatantly and confidently that the celtics are not championship caliber without Rondo I think is being narrow-minded.

"Waiting to reserve judgment" like Chris said or saying you "need to see more before I'm fully convinced" are appropriate things to say.  But I think that criticizing a team for the quality of teams on its schedule since Rondo has been out is wrong.

I think the celtics have a chance at the championship.  I like the basketball I'm seeing out of them.  I thought we were championship caliber before Rondo got hurt (although werent playing like it at the time) and I think that while his loss was huge, I've seen so far and am envisioning a continuation of other player stepping up and filling in that gap (while not completely, still a large part of it). 
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 03:30:12 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
They have won 4 games. One against one of the worst teams in the league, one against one of the bottom 6 or 7 teams in the league, one against the Clippers without Chris Paul (who lost the next night at the Wizards) and one against Miami. I would say put the championship trophy on a plane to Boston immediately.

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 03:31:28 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
They have won 4 games. One against one of the worst teams in the league, one against one of the bottom 6 or 7 teams in the league, one against the Clippers without Chris Paul (who lost the next night at the Wizards) and one against Miami. I would say put the championship trophy on a plane to Boston immediately.
TP.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 03:32:24 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Getting ahead of ourselves... A little too early
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 05:25:03 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
First of all, the celtics beat Miami without Rondo.  To disregard that game as beating a quality opponent is being ridiculous.  Second, regarding the rest of their opponents since Rondo's been out, the celtics can only beat the teams on their schedule.  To use that argument of weak opponents as backing for stating blatantly and confidently that the celtics are not championship caliber without Rondo I think is being narrow-minded.

"Waiting to reserve judgment" like Chris said or saying you "need to see more before I'm fully convinced" are appropriate things to say.  But I think that criticizing a team for the quality of teams on its schedule since Rondo has been out is wrong.

I think the celtics have a chance at the championship.  I like the basketball I'm seeing out of them.  I thought we were championship caliber before Rondo got hurt (although werent playing like it at the time) and I think that while his loss was huge, I've seen so far and am envisioning a continuation of other player stepping up and filling in that gap (while not completely, still a large part of it).

Dude, its 4 games. Even if we won all of those games by 20 i still wouldn't say we are a championship team. I still don't think we have nearly enough to beat miami or the bulls in the playoffs. Its one thing to beat miami once. Its another thing to beat miami 4 times in a playoff series.

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 05:40:14 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I will wait to reserve judgement, because so far, I haven't seen championship basketball, I have seen a team that is clicking, and outworking other teams, and that has won a handful of games in a row against bad basketball teams, a great team that was sleepwalking, and a great team that is actually a bad team, because they were missing their superstar.

Now don't get me wrong, the play, and the chemistry has been encouraging.  But its a long way from championship basketball.  They would have to pick their game up another 2-3 levels to compete in the playoffs, and I think this team might be playing pretty close to their top level right now.

This guy, this guy, he knows.

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 05:48:28 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
The C's have been fun to watch over the last 4 games.  That is the only conclusion I would draw at this point.

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 07:20:51 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
The C's have been fun to watch over the last 4 games.  That is the only conclusion I would draw at this point.

This. Playing the games on their schedule and beating mostly bad teams. They have been fun to watch, and the schedule has been kind to them. Even the Lakers, coming in tomorrow night, are badly crippled. We won't even recognize them except for Kobe and World Fraud.

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 09:56:46 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
The OP is correct. 5 in a row. They are playing Championship Style Basketball. Ball movement and solid D. Will whip the Lakers Ass manana.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 10:03:25 PM by Pucaccia »

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 10:05:45 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
The OP is correct. 5 in a row. They are playing Championship Style Basketball. Ball movement and solid D. Will whip the Lakers Ass manana.

And denver won like 7 or 8 in a row recently didn't they? They aren't a championship team either.

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 10:08:02 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

This. Playing the games on their schedule and beating mostly bad teams. They have been fun to watch, and the schedule has been kind to them. Even the Lakers, coming in tomorrow night, are badly crippled. We won't even recognize them except for Kobe and World Fraud.

You mean Metta World War?

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 10:08:45 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

And denver won like 7 or 8 in a row recently didn't they? They aren't a championship team either.

Then you don't know the Nuggets.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 10:12:13 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551

Then you don't know the Nuggets.

please elaborate........................

LET'S GO CELTICS!