Author Topic: Rondo can adapt  (Read 6900 times)

Re: Rondo can adapt
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 11:03:35 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The guy single handedly wheeled us into wins in most games and has always being the one that seemed to care on most games this season (even last).  When he creates good looks for guys (who are obviously waiting around in the first place), they still brick most of it.
Overstatement of the year (also, you probably meant 'willed'?).

Also, maybe guys wouldn't be standing around if Rondo wasn't dribbling for half of the shot clock at the top of the key.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 11:06:30 AM »

Offline kgfor3

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
The guy single handedly wheeled us into wins in most games and has always being the one that seemed to care on most games this season (even last).  When he creates good looks for guys (who are obviously waiting around in the first place), they still brick most of it.

Also, maybe guys wouldn't be standing around if Rondo wasn't dribbling for half of the shot clock at the top of the key.

Actually I think he meant wielded.

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 11:07:42 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

No, he didn't.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 11:08:30 AM »

Offline kgfor3

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11

No, he didn't.

Yes, he did.

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 11:10:45 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

No, he didn't.

Yes, he did.

No, no, no!

Rondo actually rolled his teammates to wins. 

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 11:21:09 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

No, he didn't.

Yes, he did.

No, no, no!

No, no, no!

He welded them. So that they can stand still. While he dribbles.

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 11:26:03 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

No, he didn't.

Yes, he did.

No, no, no!

No, no, no!

He welded them. So that they can stand still. While he dribbles.

He welded them into a large wheel so he can roll them?

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 11:27:33 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The difference that Rondo needs to adapt to is moving the ball quickly in order to create lanes to get open shots.

Before he got injured a lot of the time he just stood there waiting for someone to get open for a high percentage shot. Then if it wasn't there he would take a jumper. Next year they will want him to move the offense but if he doesn't see an opening he needs to either 1. attack or 2. move the ball.

I wouldn't say players are playing harder just that they know, they have freedom to attack on every possession rather than being bogged down by running the play until Rondo gets an easy assist.

I'm a huge Rondo fan but too often he would decide that he isn't going to attack the bucket in a game. This leads to a lot of him waiting at the elbow for something to develop so he can get an assist. Next year him moving the ball immediately when he doesn't feel like attacking will pay large dividends.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 11:45:03 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
He welded them into a large wheel so he can roll them?
Ding-ding-ding, we have a winner.

Thanks for playing... y'all.

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 11:47:14 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rondo doesn't need to adapt.

He just plays his game like always. It's the other guys that haven't been playing up to par until now.

Yes, this is the point that people are seeing. Rondo's detractors are smugly claiming that the Celts, with their increase effort and improved ball movement, have been able to maintain our spot in the mid-20s on offense. The bigger picture is that when the other players move around (and hit their shots) when Rondo's playing and running the offense we're a top 10 offensive team.

Imagine if KG had been injured early last year when we were 20th or so on defense. It's possible that, with the team rounding into shape and Bradley and Steamer playing more that we could have still been a bottom 10 defense without KG. I wonder how many claims there would have been that they had proof that we don't need KG on defense anymore.

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 11:49:15 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I wrote a bunch on this - with a couple of screen shots of how the offense is running now on my blog http://planetfun.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/understanding-the-celtics-without-9/.

My ultimate conclusion - The Celtics aren't better without Rondo by any means, but they're running much better offensive sets now. Before the offense was very Rondo centric, I think partially to hide his deficiencies as a shooter. Now we're running an offense that truly utilizes Kevin Garnett as the offensive weapon he is.

And there's no doubt in my mind that Rondo could adapt to these.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 11:54:23 AM by StartOrien »

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 12:00:59 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I wrote a bunch on this - with a couple of screen shots of how the offense is running now on my blog http://planetfun.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/understanding-the-celtics-without-9/.

My ultimate conclusion - The Celtics aren't better without Rondo by any means, but they're running much better offensive sets now. Before the offense was very Rondo centric, I think partially to hide his deficiencies as a shooter. Now we're running an offense that truly utilizes Kevin Garnett as the offensive weapon he is.

I'm guessing you didn't get any of the challenged jumpers that just beat the shot clock in your analysis.

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 12:07:55 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

I'm guessing you didn't get any of the challenged jumpers that just beat the shot clock in your analysis.

Not sure if you're referring to challenged jumpers with or without Rondo, but - per usual - I appreciate your tone and overall demeanor, BBallTim! Keep shining! Keep smiling!

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 12:12:37 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It's all good as long as we are winning.   We have only played two good teams without Rondo and minimal road trips (where our age is exposed, right now the schedule has been beneficial to us).

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 12:16:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm still worried that our improved "play" is mostly schedule related. We're about to find out with a much tougher stretch especially on the road.

This is how I feel, too.

I do think there's something to the team's improved offensive balance since Rondo has gone out, but I think that speaks more to the trouble that the newer role players on the team have had adjusting to the system we ran with Rondo.  It doesn't mean Rondo inherently is bad for the team or that we're better in the long run without him.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain