Author Topic: Rondo can adapt  (Read 6918 times)

Rondo can adapt
« on: February 06, 2013, 09:55:55 AM »

Offline kgfor3

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
With our current win streak Rondo has taking a lot of criticism for the way the offense ran with him in the game. Personally I think this criticism is unfair and in large part has more to do with Doc than Rondo. Rondo just doing what Doc asks of him.

If we continue to have success with this dumb downed offense, I believe when Rondo comes back he can adapt to the new style and make us all the better.

Now lets keep winning.

Re: Rondo can adapt
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 10:01:10 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Honestly I think a lot of how well the team is doing now is the injury to Rondo has woken some players up earlier.

Without Rondo, players suddenly feel the need to step up their game.  Stop cruising waiting for some later date to get serious. 

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 10:05:26 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Honestly I think a lot of how well the team is doing now is the injury to Rondo has woken some players up earlier.

Without Rondo, players suddenly feel the need to step up their game.  Stop cruising waiting for some later date to get serious.

Yup that's extremely clear to me...fun and cute time for the rondo haters though. The teams captain has directly said they're playing for rondo

Only problem is they should've been before his injury to.

Doc will need to adapt for rondo to.

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 10:08:39 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

agree and disagree
players are more free, have more trust and are ALLOWED to do more.

I keep hearing them say they're FORCED to do more now. I think the only thing they're forced to do now is to rebound. it's not like we didn't know jet, jeff, lb, lee couldn't score in the double digits. they just were rarely given the proper opp

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 10:11:59 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm still worried that our improved "play" is mostly schedule related. We're about to find out with a much tougher stretch especially on the road.

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 10:12:01 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Rondo doesn't need to adapt.

He just plays his game like always. It's the other guys that haven't been playing up to par until now.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 10:25:52 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I really don't see the correlation between Rondo being out, and suddenly players "playing hard" because of his absence.

I'm really having trouble finding a player that is playing harder than previously just because Rondo is out.

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 10:30:29 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I really don't see the correlation between Rondo being out, and suddenly players "playing hard" because of his absence.

I'm really having trouble finding a player that is playing harder than previously just because Rondo is out.

The Celtics' players were on cruise control for the most part up to that point.  They did a similar thing last year. 

It took sparks to get them going.  We saw one when AB first came back. 

We are seeing one now with Rondo going out. 

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 10:31:58 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

The Celtics' players were on cruise control for the most part up to that point.  They did a similar thing last year. 

That's just random generalization, more specifics please. Who exactly is playing harder now? And how does it link to Rondo being out?

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 10:33:32 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I'm still worried that our improved "play" is mostly schedule related. We're about to find out with a much tougher stretch especially on the road.

Beyond it just being schedule related, it could just be something that we can't sustain.

Our last streak we had great competition but then fell apart.

I'm hoping the defense is consistent and that's the most important thing.  If we can force turnovers like we are that will lead to scoring.

A good thing to prove that we should temper expectations a bit is how we blew our lead against the Clippers.  Sure we held on to win but it wasn't that much different than the Hawks game.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 10:43:09 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 10:35:26 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
With our current win streak Rondo has taking a lot of criticism for the way the offense ran with him in the game. Personally I think this criticism is unfair and in large part has more to do with Doc than Rondo. Rondo just doing what Doc asks of him.

If we continue to have success with this dumb downed offense, I believe when Rondo comes back he can adapt to the new style and make us all the better.

Now lets keep winning.

I think a lot of the criticism has come from people who are talking about how much more successful our offense has been even though it hasn't really been more successful, or talk about how much Rondo slows the game down even though we tend to play at a slower pace without him.

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 10:38:45 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Now lets keep winning.

I think a lot of the criticism has come from people who are talking about how much more successful our offense has been even though it hasn't really been more successful, or talk about how much Rondo slows the game down even though we tend to play at a slower pace without him.

Look at Pierce.

He has shot better.

His rebounding has shot up. 

KG.  Shooting is up.  Rebounding is up.

Now this is a small sample size, but it looks like they are not cruising any more.  More consistency in effort.

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 10:44:21 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

That's just random generalization, more specifics please. Who exactly is playing harder now? And how does it link to Rondo being out?

For starters someone posted an interview with Terry (to show that the players liked playing without Rondo) in which he talked about how the wings were going to run harder in transition because (paraphrasing) they'd need those points to try and make up for Rondo's absence. I think Lee and Terry have been playing harder (or more focused) but that might be as much from more consistent minutes than anything else.

I'd also say that PP is playing with quite a bit more energy, it seems like a week or two ago he was struggling to get his shots over the front rim. He could have had some nagging injury though.

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 10:47:42 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Now lets keep winning.

Look at Pierce.

He has shot better.

His rebounding has shot up. 

KG.  Shooting is up.  Rebounding is up.

Now this is a small sample size, but it looks like they are not cruising any more.  More consistency in effort.

It's true that players might be shooting better but then our last 3 games have been against two of the worst defenses in the league and a Clippers team that got blown out by the Raps right before they played us and lost to the Wizards right after they played us.

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 10:59:10 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Rondo doesn't need to adapt.

He just plays his game like always. It's the other guys that haven't been playing up to par until now.

My thoughts exactly.  But leave it to Rondo haters to keep pounding on the point about how Rondo made the team worse when he was on the floor.

The guy single handedly wheeled us into wins in most games and has always being the one that seemed to care on most games this season (even last).  When he create good looks for guys (who are obviously waiting around in the first place), they still brick most of it. 

Now that we have a four game winning streak and a schedule that favored us the most, all of a sudden Rondo being out is the reason. 

All of a sudden, people seem to forget we had a six game winning streak WITH Rondo when everyone was playing like they're suppose to be playing

All they did is step up to the plate and stop being in a cruise mode.  I will let these fans keep believing it though.  Reality hasn't hit yet...

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 11:05:10 AM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell