Author Topic: Felger's First Good Celtics Point  (Read 11562 times)

Re: Felger's First Good Celtics Point
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2013, 12:55:59 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Did anyone else hear what Jackie Mac said last night about Wyc's thoughts on trading Rondo?  I thought it was interesting, even though I'm not sure what to make of it.

I'm wondering of this is worthy of a thead of it's own.
I missed this. Share the essence, please?
Over (Wyc's) dead body.
Interesting.

In terms of potential incoming value vs. value to the team, I think Rondo is the most tradeable player on the roster (this is to say, he has very high value to our team, but can also bring very high value in return).

This!

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2013, 12:57:29 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
How did this become a thread about Rondo's triple doubles?  What does that have to do with the OP?
Not sure, but I do agree with your sentiment about Felger. He's the local equivalent of Skip Bayless. I tend to ignore him.

For the record, and since no one else has said it, I very much enjoy Michael Felger.  I think he's the best radio personality we've had in a long time - since I can remember really.

I'm honestly waiting for him to go national.  Love or hate the guy, he's very well informed (basketball not so much), forms legitimate opinions, and isn't afraid to stick with them and debate.

He's what a media personality should be in my book.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2013, 12:59:43 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
How did this become a thread about Rondo's triple doubles?  What does that have to do with the OP?
Not sure, but I do agree with your sentiment about Felger. He's the local equivalent of Skip Bayless. I tend to ignore him.

For the record, and since no one else has said it, I very much enjoy Michael Felger.  I think he's the best radio personality we've had in a long time - since I can remember really.

I'm honestly waiting for him to go national.  Love or hate the guy, he's very well informed (basketball not so much), forms legitimate opinions, and isn't afraid to stick with them and debate.

He did call the pats being better after trading Moss.  I'll never forget that
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2013, 01:00:56 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300

Haha yup, He's also stuck with the Tebow-as-a-legitimate-NFL-quarterback arguement for a while, so even when he's wrong at least he sticks to his guns haha.

He's also the lone Boston media personality (that I know of) that picked Baltimore to beat the Pats.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2013, 01:03:46 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Legitimate opinions?  Wow, I guess we have completely different ideas as to what constitues "legitimate".

I hate Felger, the guy is a hack.  And definitely has no clue about basketball.

Obviously you're not alone in your feelings on "what sports radio should be", based simply on ratings. I just personally disagree.

« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2013, 01:53:13 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
I think right now, Danny has only two alternatives, and believe he's leaning toward #2.

1) by the 21st, blow the team sky high, and I've no clue as to what explosive used and where it would be placed(it's also my preference!)

2) he is going to yield to the clamoring of the fans(and probably ownership, too)to ride out this year, and very likely next year too(out of necessity), and then most probably watch KG and PP both retire.  It will leave the Celtics with no PP, no KG, no young potential building blocks acquired thru trading them, and no additional draft picks acquired thru trading them, and a boatload of cap space that will be almost useless in place that has NEVER attracted top FA's, and certainly won't when seeing a team with the potential to be one of the worst in the league!
Danny, at some point next season, will announce he's stepping down as GM and moving on! At season's end Doc will follow, and the next wasteland in Celtic history will begin!

Now, I love PP and KG, and I look forward to seeing their numbers hanging from the rafters one day, but #2 above is not a price I would be willing to pay for it!  Apparently, most fans here are!!

I'm willing to take my chances with #2, but I don't necessarily see the same outcome as you do.  We already have some potential building blocks.  The primary one, of course, is Rajon Rondo.  Bradley, Sully, and even Melo all have the potential to be good players.  Even Green, Lee, and Bass have the potential to either be pieces to the next generation or pieces to be used to build it.

It'll take a combination of smart signings, smart trades, and smart draft choices to stay in the hunt.  And, it will surely take a little luck, but I'm not buying the theory that inevitable doom and gloom will befall the Celtics if we don't trade Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett today.

Lets say we don't do any trades, now, and largely stay with what we have.
Not next year but the year after, we probably/possibly enter the season with Rondo(or replacement), Bradley, Sullinger, Green, Melo, Terry(or replacement), Barbosa(or replacement), Wilcox(or replacement), Bass (or replacement) 2013 rookie, 2014 rookie. Remember we will have mle's to use(right?) and some cap room. The only way we end up in the lottery in my mind is if nearly every free agent and draft pick is botched, and if no current guys get any better.

« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2013, 02:10:46 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think right now, Danny has only two alternatives, and believe he's leaning toward #2.

1) by the 21st, blow the team sky high, and I've no clue as to what explosive used and where it would be placed(it's also my preference!)

2) he is going to yield to the clamoring of the fans(and probably ownership, too)to ride out this year, and very likely next year too(out of necessity), and then most probably watch KG and PP both retire.  It will leave the Celtics with no PP, no KG, no young potential building blocks acquired thru trading them, and no additional draft picks acquired thru trading them, and a boatload of cap space that will be almost useless in place that has NEVER attracted top FA's, and certainly won't when seeing a team with the potential to be one of the worst in the league!
Danny, at some point next season, will announce he's stepping down as GM and moving on! At season's end Doc will follow, and the next wasteland in Celtic history will begin!

Now, I love PP and KG, and I look forward to seeing their numbers hanging from the rafters one day, but #2 above is not a price I would be willing to pay for it!  Apparently, most fans here are!!

I'm willing to take my chances with #2, but I don't necessarily see the same outcome as you do.  We already have some potential building blocks.  The primary one, of course, is Rajon Rondo.  Bradley, Sully, and even Melo all have the potential to be good players.  Even Green, Lee, and Bass have the potential to either be pieces to the next generation or pieces to be used to build it.

It'll take a combination of smart signings, smart trades, and smart draft choices to stay in the hunt.  And, it will surely take a little luck, but I'm not buying the theory that inevitable doom and gloom will befall the Celtics if we don't trade Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett today.

Lets say we don't do any trades, now, and largely stay with what we have.
Not next year but the year after, we probably/possibly enter the season with Rondo(or replacement), Bradley, Sullinger, Green, Melo, Terry(or replacement), Barbosa(or replacement), Wilcox(or replacement), Bass (or replacement) 2013 rookie, 2014 rookie. Remember we will have mle's to use(right?) and some cap room. The only way we end up in the lottery in my mind is if nearly every free agent and draft pick is botched, and if no current guys get any better.

Eh, if they don't add any other impact players or Sully and Bradley don't become stars, that is a very mediocre to bad team. 

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2013, 02:24:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Eh, if they don't add any other impact players or Sully and Bradley don't become stars, that is a very mediocre to bad team.
I don't think it's reasonable to expect at this point that Bradley or Sullinger will become stars.

Bradley will probably have a career similar to Courtney Lee's. Sullinger may end up being Zach Randolph, but may also end up being Emeka Okafor.

I don't think we're holding on to the next Gary Payton or Karl Malone here.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2013, 02:33:39 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
and a boatload of cap space that will be almost useless in place that has NEVER attracted top FA's

Cap space can be useful in other ways, such as accepting toxic contracts in trades for the price of a likely lottery pick.  You're more likely to get a good draft pick with a chance to get a star that way than by trading Pierce and Garnett.

Very good point

Yeah, that's how Cleveland landed Kyrie Irving.  (How monumentally stupid of the Clippers not to insist on #1 protection on that pick.)  OKC also obtained the draft pick they used on Serge Ibaka by taking on excess salary.

True to say, but why would you wait to get picks, and take on bad contracts, when apparently we're already being offered players like Bledsoe,DJordan,Barnes,Ezelie,KLeonard,TSplitter(though none of these absolutely confirmed), and or picks, with expiring contracts RIGHT NOW, when you have a team that most would concede has virtually no chance at winning a title---just so you can see KG and PP retire in green??
We could start rebuilding NOW, with young players with execellent potential to ADD to RR,AB,Sully, and maybe Melo and be off to a good start TODAY, not two or three years from now!

Because all those players you mentioned are good players but not difference makers

If we could be guaranteed players like those with mid to midlate first round picks, you'd pass?????????
In the draft from this year? Yes, I'd pass.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2013, 02:40:41 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Haha yup, He's also stuck with the Tebow-as-a-legitimate-NFL-quarterback arguement for a while, so even when he's wrong at least he sticks to his guns haha.

He's also the lone Boston media personality (that I know of) that picked Baltimore to beat the Pats.

He always covers his butt though.

If Tebow starts for 10 or more games in the next few years he will go above 500 (who knows if he gets that chance)

If the Pats made it to AFC championship after trading Moss for Branch its a success otherwise a failure (even tho he admitted it wasn't a success since they didn't make it that year but still patted himself on the butt)

Even with the Baltimore pick this year I don't even.think he ever flat out said Baltimore will beat the Pats but kept tip toeing around saying they always play is well etc.

I enjoy him to and even tho he hates basketball he always gives credit to KG and Pierce for being winners. But if you listen to his predictions there are always these stupid stipulations to cover his butt.  Id like to see him make a prediction about the C's going further without Rondo or at least winning a round since they are apparently better without him

« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2013, 03:18:31 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
I don't believe in rebuilding. Maybe that's just me.
But look at the Spurs, they've been contenders for the last 10 years, with aging stars, they're still ahead of the western conference. It's not about rebuilding, its using what you got, and using it to its full potential.

« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2013, 03:29:22 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
But look at the Spurs, they've been contenders for the last 10 years, with aging stars, they're still ahead of the western conference. It's not about rebuilding, its using what you got, and using it to its full potential.
Well, not every team has the luxury of having both Tim Duncan and David Robinson.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2013, 03:38:58 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Well, not every team has the luxury of having both Tim Duncan and David Robinson.

They were still contending after Robinson, and After PRIME Tim Duncan, heck, they're on top of the ladder right now, with a STACKED western conference.

« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2013, 03:39:38 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I endorse the Spurs plan of a one-year rebuild by sucking due to everyone being injured and adding a #1 overall pick to a team with playoff-caliber talent.  The Chicago Bulls did this in 2007-2008, though they have yet to win a title.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2013, 04:03:34 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
that is a good point - I don't think the owners want to do the lottery route again - they've tasted success and gotten accustomed to it
Frankly, I think *most* fans feel the same way. A few are excited about the idea of tanking for picks, but most of us have seen that and don't want any part of it if it can be avoided.

Realistically, I think the C's are going end up having to have one or two down years, though. Unless Danny can make a truly *magical* deal, or somehow lure a superstar free agent to Boston it'll have to be the old "asset acquisition, development, turn in a trade" routine again. Last time Pierce was the core piece Allen and KG could come join, is it Rondo this time? Is he going to be enough of a lure?

Or is Rondo going to be the Antoine Walker in this scenario? He was the player who has too tight a hold on the team and needed to go so it could move forward...in DA's opinion anyway. If so, then *who* is the proto-Pierce? Is he even on the team yet?