Author Topic: Felger's First Good Celtics Point  (Read 11554 times)

Re: Felger's First Good Celtics Point
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 10:48:48 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I think it's going to be hard to:

1. Avoid the lottery;

2. Not trade off any of our stars; and

3. Build a contender.

I do agree, though, that Wyc seems to be attached to his stars.

Wyc should be
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 10:54:36 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I also liked what Maz said yesterday. He said that he first noticed Rondo "stealing" rebounds away from the bigs in order to jack up his numbers during the 2009 playoffs. I actually have noticed him taking a bunch of them away Bass this season. He went on to add that the importance of that is it slows down your potential fastbreak as instead of running out to receive the outlet pass, he's instead down low padding his numbers.

Yes, we were absolute rebounding monsters in the 2009 playoffs without KG. Perk held his own, but that Baby/Scal/Moore combo was Rodman-like. Too funny.

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 10:55:20 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I actually have noticed him taking a bunch of them away Bass this season.

I'd rather have Rondo "stealing" a rebound from Bass rather than a player on an opposing team doing it, which probably happens more often then we like.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2013, 11:00:19 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I'd rather have Rondo "stealing" a rebound from Bass rather than a player on an opposing team doing it, which probably happens more often then we like.
That's not the way it typically pans out though. These are mostly uncontested rebounds where the opposition is pulling back, and Rondo has time to step in towards the paint and gobble it up.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2013, 11:00:32 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Seriously.

Do we think Bass is some great rebounder?

How's his rebounding been since Rondo has been out? 4, 4, 7, 8

Also, how come Sully doesn't have this problem?

I do think there may be something to be said about him slowing down the break, but I also think people are overblowing us being more of a fast break team with Rondo out anyways.

That's not the way it typically pans out though. These are mostly uncontested rebounds where the opposition is pulling back, and Rondo has time to step in towards the paint and gobble it up.

If this even was the case, if Rondo can easily walk in and grab most of say 10 rebounds he gets in a triple double game that some of you guys are saying he is padding, you think that means we have good rebounders under the hoop? 

Someone has to grab the ball.  If our bigs are letting players just go grab the ball then they just aren't good rebounders really.  Again, Sullinger doesn't have this issue.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2013, 11:06:25 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Seriously.

I do think there may be something to be said about him slowing down the break, but I also think people are overblowing us being more of a fast break team with Rondo out anyways.

If this even was the case, if Rondo can easily walk in and grab most of say 10 rebounds he gets in a triple double game that some of you guys are saying he is padding, you think that means we have good rebounders under the hoop? 

Someone has to grab the ball.  If our bigs are letting players just go grab the ball then they just aren't good rebounders really.  Again, Sullinger doesn't have this issue.
This is not about Bass, Sullinger, or anyone else. It's about Rondo and how he clearly goes out of his way to pad his stats when he's approaching a triple double.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2013, 11:10:53 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Seriously.

This is not about Bass, Sullinger, or anyone else. It's about Rondo and how he clearly goes out of his way to pad his stats when he's approaching a triple double.

But in fact it is about all of our bigs.

If they aren't going to go get rebounds, someone has to.  Otherwise the opposing team will.

I agree that at times Rondo can pad stats, it's clear to see when he avoids a layup for a tough assist or like Faf said, when he's trying to get that last rebounding for a triple double, but lets not act as if Rondo's rebounding is "stealing" from our bigs.  Our bigs are just not good rebounders. 

Rondo is a great rebounder for a guard.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2013, 11:12:19 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
"The Owners hate the look of that building when the team is headed for the lottery and nobody cares"

I can't agree with that assessment. Casueway street fans are pretty consistent in their passion.  The Celts and Bruins have experienced very recent years of turmoil and a strong fan base has always been there. 

I think that's one of the reassuring points for management regarding the Celtics' current situation.  Wyc knows that, if he chooses to, he can ride out the Peirce/KG years & fall back into rebuild mode while still maintaining a high level of support from the fans.

But as Jeff said, i think that taste of success is going to make swallowing that pill pretty difficult.

2000-02 I only attended a few games and they were playoff games and the garden was hopping.  I was also like 18 years old so maybe I was just that amped up.

2005-07 the Garden was very weak.  I attended a couple games a year and there were always empty seats.  It was one of those places where you went to the game to see the opponent's star players [Lebron] almost as much as you went to see the celtics.  I would sit in complete frustration as CP3 completely locked down whoever we threw in there at pg and it seemed that nobody around me cared at all.

2008+ the Garden has been hopping again to unbelievable levels.

In terms of attendance:

2003:  17,293 per game
2004:  16,201 per game
2005:  16,001 per game
2006:  16,899 per game
2007:  16,843 per game
2008:  18,624 per game 

The Celtics have been at full capacity every year since except for 2010, when they still averaged over 18,000 fans per game.

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

Is that kind of like the red sox sell out streak?

I remember getting those $10 tix on game nights and then having my pick of where to sit when I got in.

I'm guessing that it's season ticket holders skipping games or unable to sell them, because on a Tuesday night against someone like the Jazz I remember the balcony being pretty wide open.

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2013, 11:17:57 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Seriously.

But in fact it is about all of our bigs.

If they aren't going to go get rebounds, someone has to.  Otherwise the opposing team will.

I agree that at times Rondo can pad stats, it's clear to see when he avoids a layup for a tough assist or like Faf said, when he's trying to get that last rebounding for a triple double, but lets not act as if Rondo's rebounding is "stealing" from our bigs.  Our bigs are just not good rebounders. 

Rondo is a great rebounder for a guard.

I think I'm starting to get the pattern with Rondo.  Every time he makes a great pass, he's simply trying to pad his assist stats.  Every time he beats everybody else on the floor for a loose ball, he's simply trying to pad his rebound stats.  Every time he makes a good read and steps in the passing lane to pick off a pass, he's simply trying to pad his steals stats.  The only time he's not being an egotistical player is when he shoots the ball.

Honestly, this is getting ridiculous. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2013, 11:38:24 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Seriously.

There are also games where Rondo's fairly close to a triple double in the 3rd quarter and doesn't get another rebound the entire night. He doesn't spend those games hanging around under the basket. Are you claiming that Rondo only wants to pad his stats during certain games?

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2013, 11:44:06 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
There are also games where Rondo's fairly close to a triple double in the 3rd quarter and doesn't get another rebound the entire night. He doesn't spend those games hanging around under the basket. Are you claiming that Rondo only wants to pad his stats during certain games?
That's another topic for discussion, too -- most of his triple-doubles are on national TV. Make of this what you will.

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2013, 11:55:26 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
The stupid part to me of their convo yesterday was pointing to the last 4 games and saying the C's play harder and better without Rondo and conveniently leaving out the past 4 or so years where we have been extremely successful.

And then Tony remembering some specific game from like 4 years ago to somehow back his point.

At least wait and see how this plays out before making stupid claims. Im sure they wouldn't be talking about how much they miss Rondo if they had lost 4 more in a row.

As for Rondo's rebounding etc., its disappointing because if he did all the correct things he would be the best pg and top 5 player in the game. But he doesn't so we are stuck with a top 5 pg top 15 player on a very reasonable salary. You just hope that he keeps maturing like a Pierce. My god people hated Pierce for a while

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2013, 11:56:49 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
That's another topic for discussion, too -- most of his triple-doubles are on national TV. Make of this what you will.

I knew what was going on when it was said. At the time Rondo had a large percentage of his triple doubles in the playoffs, and all playoff games are on national tv. Check out the career playoff triple double leaders, they have 10% to 20% of their triple doubles during the playoffs. For Rondo that number is probably 40% or more.

I know there are a ton of people here who heard that stat  and decided that it meant that if Rondo was playing the Hawks twice in a week he'd figure out which one was on TNT and not comcast so he'd know which game to try harder in. They should try and learn more about the players they root for.

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2013, 11:59:11 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The stupid part to me of their convo yesterday was pointing to the last 4 games and saying the C's play harder and better without Rondo and conveniently leaving out the past 4 or so years where we have been extremely successful.

And then Tony remembering some specific game from like 4 years ago to somehow back his point.

At least wait and see how this plays out before making stupid claims. Im sure they wouldn't be talking about how much they miss Rondo if they had lost 4 more in a row.

As for Rondo's rebounding etc., its disappointing because if he did all the correct things he would be the best pg and top 5 player in the game. But he doesn't so we are stuck with a top 5 pg top 15 player on a very reasonable salary. You just hope that he keeps maturing like a Pierce. My god people hated Pierce for a while

I am not saying the team was on cruise control because of Rondo.  That's because the leaders are older vets who do not have the regular season drive anymore.

The loss of Rondo, who's play helped make up for some of the cruising, has forced these players to stop cruising. 

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I knew what was going on when it was said. At the time Rondo had a large percentage of his triple doubles in the playoffs, and all playoff games are on national tv. Check out the career playoff triple double leaders, they have 10% to 20% of their triple doubles during the playoffs. For Rondo that number is probably 40% or more.

I know there are a ton of people here who heard that stat  and decided that it meant that if Rondo was playing the Hawks twice in a week he'd figure out which one was on TNT and not comcast so he'd know which game to try harder in. They should try and learn more about the players they root for.

You know that it was Sean Grande who first brought this up, right? Grande has called every game Rondo has played in his professional career. This isn't Chris Broussard, Skip Bayless, or some other talking head spewing out nonsense.