Author Topic: Question About Cap Space, What DA could be thinking?  (Read 1171 times)

Question About Cap Space, What DA could be thinking?
« on: February 08, 2013, 11:58:13 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If the Celtics were able to deal KG and Paul for expiring contracts by the trade deadline OR this offseason, would that then give them enough cap space to go after two max free agents this summer? (Dwight and Josh Smith, think DH/Smith/Rondo trio)

Thanks.

Re: Question About Cap Space, What DA could be thinking?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 12:01:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There wouldn't be quite enough to go after even one max free agent.  If the Celtics dumped another of their long-term contracts, though, they could get there.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 12:01:38 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
If the Celtics were able to deal KG and Paul for expiring contracts by the trade deadline OR this offseason, would that then give them enough cap space to go after two max free agents this summer? (Dwight and Josh Smith, think DH/Smith/Rondo trio)

Thanks.

Doesn't matter since they won't.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 12:03:42 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
That will put the Celtics next year around 43 million.  Almost 15 million under the cap.

They would need to clear more space to sign two max deals.  (though Smith is not worth the max deal)

Problem is, without Pierce or KG and Rondo being injured, why are top players going to want to come to Boston?

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 12:05:59 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
There wouldn't be quite enough to go after even one max free agent.  If the Celtics dumped another of their long-term contracts, though, they could get there.

Ah, thanks Roy. This cap space stuff confuses the daylights out of me (lol!)

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 12:08:58 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Thanks.

Doesn't matter since they won't.

You're probably right. I was just wondering

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 12:11:19 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Ah, thanks Roy. This cap space stuff confuses the daylights out of me (lol!)
Look at it this way.  There is the cap and there is the luxery tax threshhold.  At this point, we are well over the cap.  We'd need to deal a number of contracts just to get to the point where we'd have zero cap space (cuzz right now we have negative space).

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 12:15:26 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The cap will probably rise a little bit, in my opinion, but not by enough for two max players -- you'd have to have almost all your roster expire for that to work out.  Fitting one max in, especially someone coming off a rookie deal who's a restricted free agent, on the other hand, would be possible if Pierce and KG's contracts were jettisoned.

Still, I don't think Danny's interested in trading Pierce and KG merely for cap space next year.  A mixture of young players and expirings, which would create roster flexibility, might be interesting to him, but he signed too many players to 3-4 year deals in the $5-9 million range last offseason to be counting on being able to unload enough of them.