Author Topic: Felger's First Good Celtics Point  (Read 11544 times)

Felger's First Good Celtics Point
« on: February 06, 2013, 07:32:11 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Last night I was listening to 98.5 and Felger had what I thought might be his first good celtics analysis/point. (The good point is in bold below)

It all started with the KG "I bleed green, I die green" quote.  Here is how the conversation went down.

Felger: "He means it, thats not BS, KG is Loyal to a fault he didnt want to leave minnesota of all places, and they had nothing going for them."

Tony: "He also said he wont leave unless Pierce is traded too, you know what this tells me?  Beyond all other things, Pierce and KG connect on a way that Ray never did with either of them and a way that Rondo probably never will."

Felger: "Look at what the celtics did, they offered 3 years and no trade protection to both Ray and KG, in a league that doesnt offer trade protection.  The Owners hate the look of that building when the team is headed for the lottery and nobody cares, they like being on TNT in May and have no idea of going back into the lottery.

Danny may even get a team to buy into a trade for both Pierce and Garnet but if he does he needs to get ownership to sign off on it.  I don't think they will, this team is going to expect danny to weave his magic and rebuild from the middle again rather than go back to the bottom and wait for the ping pong balls."
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Re: Felger's First Good Celtics Point
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 07:34:19 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Falso!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 07:39:08 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
that is a good point - I don't think the owners want to do the lottery route again - they've tasted success and gotten accustomed to it
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 08:15:40 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think it's going to be hard to:

1. Avoid the lottery;

2. Not trade off any of our stars; and

3. Build a contender.

I do agree, though, that Wyc seems to be attached to his stars. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 08:33:55 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
I think right now, Danny has only two alternatives, and believe he's leaning toward #2.

1) by the 21st, blow the team sky high, and I've no clue as to what explosive used and where it would be placed(it's also my preference!)

2) he is going to yield to the clamoring of the fans(and probably ownership, too)to ride out this year, and very likely next year too(out of necessity), and then most probably watch KG and PP both retire.  It will leave the Celtics with no PP, no KG, no young potential building blocks acquired thru trading them, and no additional draft picks acquired thru trading them, and a boatload of cap space that will be almost useless in place that has NEVER attracted top FA's, and certainly won't when seeing a team with the potential to be one of the worst in the league!
Danny, at some point next season, will announce he's stepping down as GM and moving on! At season's end Doc will follow, and the next wasteland in Celtic history will begin!

Now, I love PP and KG, and I look forward to seeing their numbers hanging from the rafters one day, but #2 above is not a price I would be willing to pay for it!  Apparently, most fans here are!!

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 08:39:47 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I think it's going to be hard to:

1. Avoid the lottery;

2. Not trade off any of our stars; and

3. Build a contender.

I do agree, though, that Wyc seems to be attached to his stars.

I get the feeling, or I'm fooling myself into thinking this way - that Wyc thinks like a lot of us: Would rather enjoy watching Garnett and Pierce play out their careers in Boston then trade them away for B-C list prospects. Even if it means understanding that they won't realistically contend.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 08:56:17 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
"The Owners hate the look of that building when the team is headed for the lottery and nobody cares"

I can't agree with that assessment. Casueway street fans are pretty consistent in their passion.  The Celts and Bruins have experienced very recent years of turmoil and a strong fan base has always been there. 

I think that's one of the reassuring points for management regarding the Celtics' current situation.  Wyc knows that, if he chooses to, he can ride out the Peirce/KG years & fall back into rebuild mode while still maintaining a high level of support from the fans.

But as Jeff said, i think that taste of success is going to make swallowing that pill pretty difficult.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think right now, Danny has only two alternatives, and believe he's leaning toward #2.

1) by the 21st, blow the team sky high, and I've no clue as to what explosive used and where it would be placed(it's also my preference!)

2) he is going to yield to the clamoring of the fans(and probably ownership, too)to ride out this year, and very likely next year too(out of necessity), and then most probably watch KG and PP both retire.  It will leave the Celtics with no PP, no KG, no young potential building blocks acquired thru trading them, and no additional draft picks acquired thru trading them, and a boatload of cap space that will be almost useless in place that has NEVER attracted top FA's, and certainly won't when seeing a team with the potential to be one of the worst in the league!
Danny, at some point next season, will announce he's stepping down as GM and moving on! At season's end Doc will follow, and the next wasteland in Celtic history will begin!

Now, I love PP and KG, and I look forward to seeing their numbers hanging from the rafters one day, but #2 above is not a price I would be willing to pay for it!  Apparently, most fans here are!!

I'm willing to take my chances with #2, but I don't necessarily see the same outcome as you do.  We already have some potential building blocks.  The primary one, of course, is Rajon Rondo.  Bradley, Sully, and even Melo all have the potential to be good players.  Even Green, Lee, and Bass have the potential to either be pieces to the next generation or pieces to be used to build it.

It'll take a combination of smart signings, smart trades, and smart draft choices to stay in the hunt.  And, it will surely take a little luck, but I'm not buying the theory that inevitable doom and gloom will befall the Celtics if we don't trade Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett today. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 09:02:35 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
and a boatload of cap space that will be almost useless in place that has NEVER attracted top FA's

Cap space can be useful in other ways, such as accepting toxic contracts in trades for the price of a likely lottery pick.  You're more likely to get a good draft pick with a chance to get a star that way than by trading Pierce and Garnett.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 09:05:10 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
and a boatload of cap space that will be almost useless in place that has NEVER attracted top FA's

Cap space can be useful in other ways, such as accepting toxic contracts in trades for the price of a likely lottery pick.  You're more likely to get a good draft pick with a chance to get a star that way than by trading Pierce and Garnett.

Very good point
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 09:08:12 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Very good point

Yeah, that's how Cleveland landed Kyrie Irving.  (How monumentally stupid of the Clippers not to insist on #1 protection on that pick.)  OKC also obtained the draft pick they used on Serge Ibaka by taking on excess salary.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 09:09:47 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
As with any sports radio guy, he goes a bit overboard, but I think the overall point is sound.  I think ownership does not want to bottom out.  Honestly, I think Danny would prefer not to bottom out either. 

I also think both Danny and the owners are open to options though.  I just don't think tanking for the lottery is very high on that list. 

They are willing to trade KG and Pierce, but only if they are going to be getting great value for them, and they can see a short-term plan to turn that value into on court production.  If not, then they will play the waiting game, and continue trying to build value around those guys.

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Not buying what Tony said about Ray not having a connection those 2 did...I find that actually absurd...revisionist history is cool though...best friends some times go their separate ways and in this case Ray was every bit the friend in the group as the rest, and at first was even closer to rondo then the rest....he wasn't loyal to a fault because neither were the Celtics with him..kg and pierce aren't in love here on another plateau and need to be together.

As far as felger....mmmmmeh his Celtics opinions still stuck....solid in the other major sports though

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 09:42:12 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

Yeah, that's how Cleveland landed Kyrie Irving.  (How monumentally stupid of the Clippers not to insist on #1 protection on that pick.)  OKC also obtained the draft pick they used on Serge Ibaka by taking on excess salary.

Looked at singularly, not attaching protection to that pick was a mistake.  Looking at the whole picture, things worked out very well for the Clippers.  Jettisoning BD helped them re-structure their roster and be in a position to acquire the best PG in the game.

Maybe the Cavs don't do that deal if the pick had top 3 protection on it.     

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 09:42:37 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55

Very good point

True to say, but why would you wait to get picks, and take on bad contracts, when apparently we're already being offered players like Bledsoe,DJordan,Barnes,Ezelie,KLeonard,TSplitter(though none of these absolutely confirmed), and or picks, with expiring contracts RIGHT NOW, when you have a team that most would concede has virtually no chance at winning a title---just so you can see KG and PP retire in green??
We could start rebuilding NOW, with young players with execellent potential to ADD to RR,AB,Sully, and maybe Melo and be off to a good start TODAY, not two or three years from now!