Author Topic: As a fan, are championships the only thing that matter?  (Read 19744 times)

Re: As a fan, are championships the only thing that matter?
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2013, 07:03:01 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Absolutely not.

The pleasure I find in the Celtics is watching Celtic basketball - ball movement, transition basketball, attacking the rim, tough defense.

All the things this team hasn't done until the last couple of weeks, which have been the best basketball I've seen from the Celtics since 08.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2013, 08:35:51 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Out of curiosity how many of you would ever wear a Dan Marino jersey?  Do you think Miami fans wear them or wear Bron jerseys?  Out of curiosity how many of you have a Bledsoe jersey and a Brady jersey and purposely opt for the Bledsoe jersey more than half the time?

Anyone here have any AFC championship commemoration rings? Or anything?

There are some things more important that championships, but not many.

People say there are some things more important to them than championships, but at the end of the day it doesn't really happen that much.  That's why there are way way way more Lakers fans than Clippers fans. One team aspired to rings and the other didn't. This is why there are way more Yankees fans than Mets fans. It's why there are more Giants than Jets fans.  It's why nationally the most popular NFL teams are Dallas and Green Bay. Not Detroit.

How many people wear junior varsity jackets even if they had a really good time on JV and won a lot and JV and had a bad time on varsity and didn't win much on varsity?  Brady is the varsity jacket. Bledsoe is the JV jacket.

I wonder how many New England fans would rather wear a Moss jersey or a Troy Brown or Deion Branch one.

I wonder how many Celts fans would rather wear a Sheed jersey than a Powe or Perkins.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 08:45:51 AM by eja117 »

« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2013, 09:05:45 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i feel sorry for fans who think championships are the only thing that matters.  a lot of disappointment for them! it is completely unrealistic to win it all every year

« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2013, 09:27:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
i feel sorry for fans who think championships are the only thing that matters.  a lot of disappointment for them! it is completely unrealistic to win it all every year
of course it is, but I don't think anyone expects it, but what I do expect is that the team I am rooting for is either in championship contender or has the ability to get there with much of the current roster at some point in the near future. Being a fan of the team like the Clippers had to suck until the last year or so. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2013, 09:30:21 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I wonder how many Celts fans would rather wear a Sheed jersey than a Powe or Perkins.

The reason a lot of fans appreciate Powe or Perk over Sheed has nothing to do with championships won.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2013, 09:56:21 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
In my world winning isn't everything it's the only thing. ;)

« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2013, 10:00:11 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
As a fan, I expect a championship at the beginning of every year. Sometimes I know it won't happen, but I still expect it.

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I'd much rather watch this group the rest of the year and they lose every single game fighting the way they are than overhaul the roster and get #18 just a little sooner.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2013, 10:13:36 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
Titles are the only thing that matter to me when I feel my team is a legit contender. If they're in a rebuilding phase and the team gets bounced from the playoffs, but shows sings they're moving in the right direction, I can live with that.  But I absolutely don't want them to be stuck in a state of good-but-not-good-enough.

I'm for being loyal to a long time star that gave all he had for the team if he can still contribute to a contending team in a meaningful way. The player doesn't need to be go-to guy, but still have enough to put the team over with some help from a supporting cast.

I certainly would not keep him around for old times sake. If it means we are handicapping our team's chances to become relevant again, then he needs to go.

Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2013, 01:23:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

The reason a lot of fans appreciate Powe or Perk over Sheed has nothing to do with championships won.
Well who do you think fans in Detroit prefer?  Why do you think that is? What is the difference there?

« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2013, 01:43:18 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Well who do you think fans in Detroit prefer?  Why do you think that is? What is the difference there?

Powe and Perk were never Pistons?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2013, 01:57:16 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Powe and Perk were never Pistons?
Well do you ever hear Pistons fans going around saying anything like "Gee. I wish we had had Powe or Perk instead of Sheed"?  Or anyone for that matter? Seeing as respect for champions has nothing do with appreciation.

« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2013, 01:58:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I have to admit I'm a little curious how many fans here wouldn't go back in time to trade Bird for Jordan.  I'd do it in a heartbeat.

« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2013, 03:27:31 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Titles are the only thing that matter to me when I feel my team is a legit contender. If they're in a rebuilding phase and the team gets bounced from the playoffs, but shows sings they're moving in the right direction, I can live with that. But I absolutely don't want them to be stuck in a state of good-but-not-good-enough.

I'm for being loyal to a long time star that gave all he had for the team if he can still contribute to a contending team in a meaningful way. The player doesn't need to be go-to guy, but still have enough to put the team over with some help from a supporting cast.

I certainly would not keep him around for old times sake. If it means we are handicapping our team's chances to become relevant again, then he needs to go.

Very well said and i think this is where we're at now.

« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2013, 04:24:44 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Titles are the only thing that matter to me when I feel my team is a legit contender. If they're in a rebuilding phase and the team gets bounced from the playoffs, but shows sings they're moving in the right direction, I can live with that.  But I absolutely don't want them to be stuck in a state of good-but-not-good-enough.

But sometimes you have to tread water for a while until the right move comes along to vault you into title contention.  You don't automatically tear a team apart just because it's not a championship contender.  When Ainge arrived and blew up Boston's roster, it was the start of a long term process to accumulate assets.  The main reason he hasn't blow up this roster is because no one's offered him enough assets to justify it.

Mike