Author Topic: As a fan, are championships the only thing that matter?  (Read 19763 times)

Re: As a fan, are championships the only thing that matter?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 07:00:01 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I think I'd rather watch KG lose Game 7 than watch Ron Artest hoist the championship trophy while wearing Celtic green.

This is just silly......you'd rather watch your team lose in heartbreaking fashion than win a championship with artest on our team? Really silly line of thinking there.

Call me silly, then. I think I would.

I don't root for the laundry. I root for the players, especially the ones that instill me with pride. I'd hate it if Ron Artest were traded to the Celtics. Would absolutely hate it.
why? Artest isn't a rapist, murderer, etc.  he is a guy with very real mental issues, that has done a lot of good for the mental health community.  He is also the ultimate competitor.

I don't view him in that way. I think he's a dirty player.

Since you brought up the "r" word, I'd feel the same way if Kobe Bryant were traded to Boston.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 07:05:14 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I think I'd rather watch KG lose Game 7 than watch Ron Artest hoist the championship trophy while wearing Celtic green.

This is just silly......you'd rather watch your team lose in heartbreaking fashion than win a championship with artest on our team? Really silly line of thinking there.

I don't root for the laundry. I root for the players, especially the ones that instill me with pride. I'd hate it if Ron Artest were traded to the Celtics. Would absolutely hate it.

You have it backwards. So if you don't like the players on the team you're no longer a celtics fan? I root for whoever wears that celtic jersey. I root for players but nobody is more important than the team. Nobody is more important than the boston celtics.

I've never experienced the existential dilemma of seeing a player I absolutely hated playing for my favorite team.

But yes, if I felt the roster of the Boston Celtics no longer represented anything redeeming, honorable, or otherwise good, I wouldn't root for them.

Would you root for the Celtics if they somehow were a collection of PED-using thugs who engaged in criminal behavior during the offseason?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 07:10:10 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

You have it backwards. So if you don't like the players on the team you're no longer a celtics fan? I root for whoever wears that celtic jersey. I root for players but nobody is more important than the team. Nobody is more important than the boston celtics.

I've never experienced the existential dilemma of seeing a player I absolutely hated playing for my favorite team.

But yes, if I felt the roster of the Boston Celtics no longer represented anything redeeming, honorable, or otherwise good, I wouldn't root for them.

Would you root for the Celtics if they somehow were a collection of PED-using thugs who engaged in criminal behavior during the offseason?

There's always a player or two on the team i don't like or could do without. That being said no matter what I will always root for the celtics to win.

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 07:11:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I basically feel the same way you do.  If I hated the players on the team, I wouldn't watch the team until those players were gone.  There are very few players I feel that way about -- Kobe being #1 -- but I see nothing wrong with wanting to enjoy rooting for your team, and respecting the guys on it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2013, 07:23:06 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
Fantastic post Roy!

I became a Celtics fan because of KG so that's like 6 years and i guess many of you are long time Celtics fans. I love KG and i'm happy that he won a title but i rather see KG play out his contract in green than look for a title in Clippers or some else, also i never doubt in him and his loyalty.

Having said this you may think that i'm sentimental and i would rather see KG and PP struggle than rebuild but you are wrong. Until KG is on this team, i don't care how old he is, this team will be in the mix. KG's value is underrated, i've seen many posts when some people on celticsblog don't realize how important KG is. Beyond stats KG's value is to big but still i agree with DA if a good offer is on the table take it but we are in no hurry for a rebuild because KG is here healty and we will go deep in the playoff and KG will give 200%.

Many Celtics fans are tired of this team that they watch for 6 years and look for something new, some guys like players like Gerald Green who can jump and dunk and be attractive but being attractive and being winner is diffrent. If teams offer lottery picks for KG or PP okey rebuild 2 lottery picks is great but a rebuild with Bledsoe,Butler? please, i would rather watch KG play with heart every night than watch attractive team with a lot of dunks but without a soul and identity. So if i can suggest playout this season with this team, maybe some minor trade for a big and see what happens, than in the summer DA should seat with KG and PP before 01.07 and see what they say.

Rondo is unique and great player but is he a franchise player? not sure. After KG the only thing i'm worried is losing this team identity, heart and soul. That is the thing that separates good teams and contenders. Rebuild is dangerous path, Celtics fans know that really good. Even if we take good young players we don't know if they will be just good or some of them will be a leader, will replace KG. If DA just collects pieces of good young players that mean he will trade all those for a proven leader. Most importing part of a rebuild is finding that player that leader who will be the soul and heart of the team and unless we have that kind of player and we don't ,than we are going to suck. My point is enjoy every ride with KG and this team because you never know when the next time you will expirience this, the truth is if KG is gone i don't know when we will be contenders next. In 2,5,7 years?

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2013, 07:25:20 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
The few players i can't stand in this league have alot to do with the jerseys they are wearing. I can't stand lebron but if he was on the celtics helping us win id love him. There's not enough players in the league that i hate that would drive me to turn on my celtics if they were on our team........

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2013, 07:31:41 PM »

Offline mustang

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
Yes, and this is a Celtics-specific thing.  As an organization, championships are the only thing that matters to the Boston Celtics, who don't hang divisional or conference titles from the rafters.

It's Red and Russell's legacy, and I'm happy to honor it.

That said, I don't see a deal involving KG and (probably) Pierce that gets the organization closer to a title - would rather keep them around to guide the next generation of Celtics.

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2013, 07:35:44 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
For me? No - Championships are not all that matter.

They are nice, of course...and they give us fans bragging rights.

But just as an example - that memorable 2009-10 season...Rajon Rondo raising his game to another level vs LeBron and CLE...Ray Ray's 32 point game vs the Lakers in LA - Game 2 09-10 Finals...this play from Rondo vs the Magic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32MjBkENi3M

The final result wasn't what we wanted...seeing KG limping on one leg..seeing Perk go down...seeing Sheed battle valiantly...all in that series vs LA.

But boy the memories are sweet!

For me, championships are NOT all that matter.

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2013, 07:36:06 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I'll just throw this little fact out there that puts this into some perspective.  Since 1980 only 9 organizations have won the NBA championship and we have 4 of them.  So I think a lot of fans out there have to be happy with not winning it all.  We have nothing to complain about.

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2013, 07:40:07 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I pretty much value teams that I enjoy rooting for.

Hard working teams that get the most out their talent and potential....

Championships are really tough to win. Everything has to almost all fall into place and they have to fall into place at the right time.

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2013, 07:46:25 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
The team is just who we associate ourselves with and who we follow for a passion!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2013, 07:57:17 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
No, they're not.  The bad thing about championships is you're never sure you're getting one until shortly before you do, and then the season's over and it's on to the next one. 

It's the journey, not the destination.  Banners are the finish line but how we get there, how we watch players develop and mesh and excel, is the important thing.  Plus, basketball is the greatest game on Earth imo, and the C's usually play it pretty well. 

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2013, 07:57:56 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
For the most part I think so, but that is a very tough question to answer. I guess I ultimately am unless the player does a Hometown discount.

I think for certain organizations this is true. And thus it will be of its fans.

Patriots are definitely that way. In a way I beliece they are the most cold blooded team in sports and that isn't bad. I mean it along of the lines of there is no sentimental attachments with them.

They wouldn't hesitate to Tom Brady if someone offered them the RG3 trade package. Kraft already said he wants to keep Brady arounds as long as possible "as long as he is productive". Guys like Seymour, etc. have been moved for packages that NE thought would help them win more titles in the future.

The Dallas Cowboys are like this. So are the Lakers and Yankees. LA shipped out Shaq after he really was the prime guy to revitalize the organization. Gasol and Odom were as good as gone one year after helping them win two titles. Fisher was dumped in Houston.

Some teams are more sentimental then others. Spurs for example are. Dallas with Dirk is.

I'm not really sure where Boston is in that regard. I tend to think the Celtics would be somewhere in between where the Patriots are and where the Spurs are.

roflmbo at cowboys remark.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2013, 08:02:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Kevin Garnett is probably the dirtiest player in basketball and says some of the most reprehensible things on the court.  He isn't very likeable and never has been.  yet I root for him like I would any Celtic.

As a fan you root for the front of the jersey not the name on the back.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2013, 08:02:54 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
No, they're not.  The bad thing about championships is you're never sure you're getting one until shortly before you do, and then the season's over and it's on to the next one. 

It's the journey, not the destination.  Banners are the finish line but how we get there, how we watch players develop and mesh and excel, is the important thing.  Plus, basketball is the greatest game on Earth imo, and the C's usually play it pretty well.

What good is the journey if you don't reach the destination? Sounds like a waste of time to me.