Author Topic: KG: I bleed green. I'll die green.  (Read 8328 times)

Re: KG: I bleed green. I'll die green.
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2013, 04:25:19 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I love the quote from KG.  I don't think he's definitively saying he won't accept a trade, though.

Asked if he was open to a trade, Garnett said, "I won’t comment on things that haven’t happened."

Now, maybe KG has told Danny point blank "don't trade me, because I won't accept a deal".  However, from the quote above, it sounds like if the team tries to deal him, he'll at least listen to the possibilities.

If he said he wouldn't accept a trade flat out whether he had discussed it with Danny or not would be pretty uncharacteristic of KG. He isn't a fan of the media and doesn't exactly feed the beast.

Saying I bleed green and ill die green is fairly definitive tho imo.

doesn't ray still say the same thing even though he plays for Miami now? :P

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2013, 04:27:07 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I love the quote from KG.  I don't think he's definitively saying he won't accept a trade, though.

Asked if he was open to a trade, Garnett said, "I won’t comment on things that haven’t happened."

Now, maybe KG has told Danny point blank "don't trade me, because I won't accept a deal".  However, from the quote above, it sounds like if the team tries to deal him, he'll at least listen to the possibilities.

If he said he wouldn't accept a trade flat out whether he had discussed it with Danny or not would be pretty uncharacteristic of KG. He isn't a fan of the media and doesn't exactly feed the beast.

Dirk!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2013, 04:28:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Ray Bourque probably said he bled gold and black, too.  And, he probably meant it, meaning that he felt a great deal of loyalty to the franchise.  However, when the team came to him asking if he'd like to be moved to a contender late in his career, he gladly accepted.

I don't think there's anything definitive here.  To me, that interview suggested that a trade isn't likely, but that it's not off the table completely.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2013, 04:30:23 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

2 different motives 2 different people.

Anyway I just don't think there's much to read into that quote. KG never gets caught up in that kind of talk

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2013, 04:33:18 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
There's another part of the interview that's way more interesting:

Can this team – as constructed – can compete?

"My own personal views on this team, I won't share them," Garnett said. "Management usually makes those decisions on what they feel is best for the organization, and a lot of times the players are just parts, moving, and not decision-making. Danny talks to the key guys here about certain things, and that's cool. He has always given us informative information and been upfront with us. I don't anticipate that changing anytime soon."

Yea that has me worries a little bit...
Me, too! The rest I would have guess anyway, but I get the feeling from particular quote that Danny *is* a lot more down on this team than he's let on.

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2013, 04:33:43 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Ray Bourque probably said he bled gold and black, too.  And, he probably meant it, meaning that he felt a great deal of loyalty to the franchise.  However, when the team came to him asking if he'd like to be moved to a contender late in his career, he gladly accepted.

I don't think there's anything definitive here.  To me, that interview suggested that a trade isn't likely, but that it's not off the table completely.

Yeah id be shocked if a deal was off the table.and even more shocked if they flat out said that

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2013, 04:37:07 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
For me, the only way I could possibly see KG getting traded would be if Danny decides to "blow it up".

The thing we don't know is what the actual terms of KG's contract are.  It is possible only this season is garaunteed.

Say there was a trade where KG's dollars were needed to make the deal go through.  I could see some team possibly looking to dump salary knowing KG's deal would be off the books at the end of the season.  They'd likely just buy KG out of the remainder owed for this year in that scenario, at which point KG probably retires.

If I was an odd's maker, I'd put the odds somewhere around 1,000,000:1 though.  I don't think the Celtics, themselves, are interested intrading him.

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2013, 04:39:58 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Of course, the big difference being; KG has already won a championship, where as, Bourque had not.

Somehow, I think KG would see latching on to some other team's championship train as beneath him.

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2013, 04:44:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Of course KG's no-trade clause puts KG in the driver's seat with regard to any trade.  However, KG is likely a complex individual with multiple values and interests.  One of his interests is to remain a Celtic.  But I'd imagine he also values championships.  I would also guess that he values feeling wanted.   If Danny is willing to trade KG and presents the offer to him, KG will weigh competing inerests.  It would not surprise me if he were to opt to accept a trade to a conttender.  In fact (and nothing to back this up of course), I'd be a little surprised if he would nix a trade if to a legit contender.
Especially if Ainge has traded Pierce at that point.

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2013, 04:46:15 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Somehow, I think KG would see latching on to some other team's championship train as beneath him.
I can't think of a team where KG wouldn't be a big part of any title run they went to if he's healthy enough to play.

I think every team in the league would play him 30 minutes a game. (maybe not LA? I'd guess he'd play ahead of Gasol if Howard is able to go at all though)

Even Miami would I think, Spolestra likes his traditional line ups a lot better than ones with LeBron at PF at his core.

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2013, 04:48:41 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
KG is loyal to a fault. He stayed in Minny, way longer than almost any other player of his caliber would have stayed. He fought against leaving almost to the bitter end, enduring years and years of bad teams and only, finally, accepted the trade to the C's after Danny acquired Ray and committed to Pierce. I think he is just about that loyal to the Celtics and especially Doc now as he was to Minny then. He won't leave Boston easily.

I think KG was hurt, *hurt*, when Danny traded Perk. I think he was equally hurt when Ray left like he did. I think a big reason he re-signed with the C's because Danny was "keeping the gang together" and "Doc was committed to staying long term".

If Pierce stays, I think KG stays. Even if Pierce retires, or is waived, after this season, I'd lay odds that KG stays for next year.

OTOH, if Danny *trades* Pierce I think he'll see it as the end. He'll accept a trade to LA or play out the year and retire. Loyalty means a *lot* to him.

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2013, 04:50:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The thing we don't know is what the actual terms of KG's contract are.  It is possible only this season is garaunteed.

This year and next year are fully guaranteed.  His contract in 2015 only has $6 million guaranteed.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2013, 04:53:05 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
I can't think of a team where KG wouldn't be a big part of any title run they went to if he's healthy enough to play.

I think every team in the league would play him 30 minutes a game. (maybe not LA? I'd guess he'd play ahead of Gasol if Howard is able to go at all though)

Even Miami would I think, Spolestra likes his traditional line ups a lot better than ones with LeBron at PF at his core.

I guess I'm talking more about the perception.  Most people would see it as him riding someone else's coattails, even if it wasn't the case.

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2013, 04:53:31 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
The only way I see KG and/or KG/Pierce being traded is:

1. Ainge approached to gauge interest
2. KG / Pierce conclude together, they would mind taking a shot with  a team on the fringe who has young talent -
3. Any trade means they mvoe to another team together or there is no trade. 
4. There's an understanding that after this year or next, when both retire, perhaps with another ring somewhere else, their Jerseys are retired.

Clippers:
KG, Pierce, Wilcox, Collins & the Jet
Jordan, Bledsoe, Odom & Butler & 1st round pick.

We get Jordan and Bledsoe, Odom comes off the books at year end, Butler the next year.

Jordan / Melo /
Sully / Bass/
Green / Butler
Lee / Bradley
Rondo / Bledsoe

Garnett / Collins / Hollins
Griffin / Turiaf / Wilcox
Pierce / Barnes / Hill
Willie Green / Crawford
Chris Paul / Jason Terry   

Golden State
KG, Pierce, Collins, Wilcox & Barbosa
Richard Jefferson, Biedrins, Ezeli, Barnes & Brandon Rush

Celtics:

Ezeli / Melo
Sully / Bass
Green / Barnes
Lee / Rush
Rondo / Bradley

Golden State:
Garnett / Bogut
Lee / Wilcox / Landry
Pierce / Draymond Green
Thompson / Jarret Jack
Curry / Jenkins / Barbosa

Try playing those Golden State or Clipper lineups in a seven game series...good luck with that...

For the Celtics, we put together one of the following young cores moving forward for the next ten years:

Either:

Jordan, Sully, Green, Lee, Rondo, Bradley, Melo and Bledsoe.

Or

Ezeli / Melo
Sully
Green / Harrison Barnes
Rondo / Bradley

I'm not advocating the trades but an argument could be made that if KG & Pierce didn't feel it was going to happen in Boston, that would not be a bad return in either case.

You can quickly build a "very" strong team around that core of  young players.

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2013, 04:54:52 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

This year and next year are fully guaranteed.  His contract in 2015 only has $6 million guaranteed.

Do you have a link with concrete evidence of this?  Generally, terms of contracts are not disclosed by NBA teams.  It usually takes a while for the exact details to come out through back-channels.