Author Topic: Mindblowing Rondo statistic.  (Read 9998 times)

Re: Mindblowing Rondo statistic.
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2013, 02:57:36 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
somebody mentioned...giving Rondo the keys to the team went to his head...........I think there some truth to this , and Doc got sucked into handing the reins to Rondo an stay out of his way.

BAD. IDEA..........Rondo has screwed up the teams play, and not enough people are contributing when he is on the court.     

Doc giving Rondo the keys to the team took us from being in a dogfight for the 8th seed to within a game of a trip to the finals. Rondo controlling the ball didn't just start, it's been going on for years and we've enjoyed quite a bit of success during that time.
Yup and you could argue he had the keys to the team in 2010 when we were a game from winning the finals...both years I'm sure shaqattack wanted to blow it up and trade rondo early

This team in recent years was at it's best playing with rondo being "the head of the beast" as I've heard peers Lebron, Kobe, wade and others call him...

This year was having mixed results, sure...but shaqattack lives and judges game to game..so obviously by those standards we're better without rondo  ::)

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2013, 03:01:13 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Who's fault will the bad play of this team's be then?
If that happens probably Ainge, though Pierce is the other likely culprit (depending on his play).

Big test the next two weeks. Come on Cs.

Agreed.  Btw the Lakers, Nuggets, and Bulls games, we're going to get a much better litmus test of this team going forward.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2013, 03:43:06 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
If that happens probably Ainge, though Pierce is the other likely culprit (depending on his play).

Agreed.  Btw the Lakers, Nuggets, and Bulls games, we're going to get a much better litmus test of this team going forward.

The Nuggs will be very hard, but even one win is good. Two wins is my hope. Three would be stupendous. None would mean a trade
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2013, 03:48:33 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

The Nuggs will be very hard, but even one win is good. Two wins is my hope. Three would be stupendous. None would mean a trade

I think at this point, record will have very little to do with trades.

The level of offers is going to be the deciding factor.

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2013, 05:30:52 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

But his assist to TO ratio was worse. 

Probably at least partially reflective of the poor shooting of his teammates.  Consider that Rondo has been on the floor a ton of minutes with Bass, Pierce & Terry (plus a still-getting-back-into-it Avery Bradley) during their prolonged shooting slumps.

This has almost certainly left many a potential assist as just that.  Potential.

The number of assists didn't go down. The number of TOs went up. 

That's not missed shots.

Missed shots would imply that more passes were needed to get the same number of assists.

Also consider that we usually start the season with a pretty set lineup and rotations and add in players in mid-season. His turnovers IMO tend to go up a little after the trades/buyout signings. This year we've been trying to integrate a lot of new people and we haven't had steady rotations all year.

To me, it looks like he was pressing on offense.

I agree.  It looks, to you, like he was pressing on offense.

He was having a down year defensively.

Well, as I pointed out elsewhere, not when he was on the floor with the starters (99 DRtg).   His DRtg was only really high in some lineups mixing in new guys.

So you think we were seeing Rondo at his best this year? 

I guess I just have a higher opinion on what he is capable and should be doing.

"at his best" is a subjective assessment.  All we can have is opinions there.

The problem when trying to assess Rondo 'objectively' is that Rondo's style of play is so tightly intertwined with the rest of the team.  His style of defense relies heavily on the help rotations of the bigs behind him.   His offense depends on his teammates making shots.

With some diligence, you can pull out some tidbits that indicate that, yeah, Rondo was actually performing at a pretty high level all season.    But, given the overall performance of the team in the first half, it is understandable that many fans may not share that view.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2013, 05:36:26 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
You're comparing stats of a full season to a stat of a half season.  That doesn't make any sense
It does when the OP mention being 2nd best on team versus 2nd worst. It also makes sense when comparing being positive versus being negative. It is the magnitude that doesn't compare well when you decrease the # of games considered, but you could just normalize that by doing the stat as a per game stat.

Like I said before, if a team is being outscored, the player with the most minutes will likely be in the red for +/-. If a team is scoring more that opponents, the player with the most minutes will likely be in the black. So that stats are less surprising than one might think. Per minute +/- would help control for the fact that he was playing so many more minutes than teammates.

Yes, as several have pointed out, the raw +/- is not a very useful stat.

A 'normalized' view of individual +/- can be found here:

http://www.82games.com/1213/1213BOS.HTM

where they have normalized per 48 minutes and accounted for on/off.

Given those corrections, Rondo ends up 3rd on the team with a 'Simple Rating' of +1.9 per 48 behind (naturally) Garnett (+4.5) and Pierce (+2.8).

(Varnado is listed as 1st on BOS, but obviously was only here for a cup of coffee)
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.