Author Topic: trade idea: for fun, KG/Pierce for Josh Smith etc.  (Read 2849 times)

trade idea: for fun, KG/Pierce for Josh Smith etc.
« on: February 05, 2013, 08:31:01 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
feel free to laugh, scoff, and dismiss this idea as you see fit (but be kind - I'm just having some fun)

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b5csq7z

Pierce and KG go to Clippers
Bledsoe, Odom, and maybe a pick or two go to the Hawks
Josh Smith, DeAndre Jordan, and Chauncey Billups (mostly for salary purposes) go to Boston

leaves LA without a backup PG, but oh well
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: trade idea: for fun, KG/Pierce for Josh Smith etc.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 08:50:04 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The Hawks already have redundancy on the PG spot, why would they want to trade their starting PF and add yet another PG?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 09:16:01 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I am just not a big fan of either Smith or Jordan.

Both overpaid and will continue to be overpaid.

Id want them either on the cheap or as kind of a final building block for.a.contending team. Certainly not for a rebuilding team unless the idea is to keep fans interested in the team with dunks

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 10:21:42 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Since we are in it to have some fun lets do this deal instead.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ac4olw4

End season with

Teague/Lee/Billups
Bradley/W. Green
Green/Lee
Smith/Odom/Bass
Wilcox/Odom/Collins

Offseason trade Teague for a big fish center, Billups and Odom Expire to cover most of Smith.

Rondo/Lee
Bradley/W. Green
Green/FA or Draft
Smith/Bass
Big Fish/Wilcox

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 10:27:14 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

End season with

Teague/Lee/Billups
Bradley/W. Green
Green/Lee
Smith/Odom/Bass
Wilcox/Odom/Collins

Offseason trade Teague for a big fish center, Billups and Odom Expire to cover most of Smith.

Rondo/Lee
Bradley/W. Green
Green/FA or Draft
Smith/Bass
Big Fish/Wilcox
So you're going to cut Barbosa to make this deal, I take it? Meh. (edit: nevermind, I can't count)

Also, Wilcox is not a starting C. As a matter of fact, he's barely a C. And Odom certainly isn't one.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 11:20:36 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
DeAndre Jordan and Josh Smith combined with Rajon Rondo and Avery Bradley would be a very strong defensive foundation. Jeff Green too. It would need a major boost offensively but that would be one of the best defensive teams in the league.

I'd take a chance on putting that together and looking for offensive help down the road somewhere. 

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 11:32:54 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

End season with

Teague/Lee/Billups
Bradley/W. Green
Green/Lee
Smith/Odom/Bass
Wilcox/Odom/Collins

Rondo/Lee
Bradley/W. Green
Green/FA or Draft
Smith/Bass
Big Fish/Wilcox
So you're going to cut Barbosa to make this deal, I take it? Meh. (edit: nevermind, I can't count)

Also, Wilcox is not a starting C. As a matter of fact, he's barely a C. And Odom certainly isn't one.

Looking at the lineup it wouldnt really matter who are center is anyway because we wouldnt really be fighting for this season. Trading KG and Pierce puts our sights solely onto next year.

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 11:40:41 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
In my opinion, there's just no point in acquiring Josh Smith if he's going to hold out for max money next year.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 11:53:16 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Man, you guys are cold blooded.  KG says; "I'll only leave if Pierce leaves with me," so you guys are like, "fine, let's make that happen then."

Tough group. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 12:13:42 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Man, you guys are cold blooded.  KG says; "I'll only leave if Pierce leaves with me," so you guys are like, "fine, let's make that happen then."

Tough group.
Is that a problem somehow?

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 12:22:09 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
That trade would make us a lot of fun to watch. It would make us Lob City East next year with a lineup of Jordan, Smith, Green, Bradley and Rondo. Excellent defense there but not much shooting at all.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 12:28:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
That trade would make us a lot of fun to watch. It would make us Lob City East next year with a lineup of Jordan, Smith, Green, Bradley and Rondo. Excellent defense there but not much shooting at all.
Not much shooting? That's a team where three of the five starters can't shoot free throws.

Smith and Jordan are below .500 this year. Jordan, for that matter, is below .450 for his career.

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 12:34:18 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Not much shooting? That's a team where three of the five starters can't shoot free throws.

Smith and Jordan are below .500 this year. Jordan, for that matter, is below .450 for his career.
We would have to pick up shooters but I would be happy building around that nucleus going forward.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 01:51:08 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Tough group.
Is that a problem somehow?

I wasn't making a value judgment, just an observation. 

I will say there's no way that I want to see either of those two traded.  Maybe it's as simple as me being too hooked on those guys to let them go.  People like to say that it's the name on the front of the jersey that matters not the name on the back.  I agree with this to an extent, but for me, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and of course Rondo are Celtics basketball.  Their names are synonymous with the name on the front of the jersey for this current Celtic generation.

They could all get traded tomorrow, the team would move on, and I'd eventually find new heroes to root for.  But, for now, I say, keep them together.  I don't know what the final result will be for this season.  I'm not expecting a title, but these guys still look pretty darn good without their star point guard.  It's all set up for an exciting finish, with Pierce and Garnett both having to be at their absolute best if we want any chance at doing anything in the post-season.  I just want to see them get a chance to try. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 01:56:45 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

We would have to pick up shooters but I would be happy building around that nucleus going forward.
Making free throws has nothing to do with picking up shooters. This lineup is simply not functional.