Author Topic: Houston interested in Granger - Could Boston get in on that  (Read 6208 times)

Re: Houston interested in Granger - Could Boston get in on that
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 03:47:12 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Why?? They have a beast in Parsons who's and up and coming star!?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 04:01:52 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I poses this question in another thread but who was the last big time free agent to sign in Boston?
Kevin Garnett. Ray Allen. Before that, you probably have to go back to Gary Payton and Dominique Wilkins.

In any case, I'm not so concerned about the "FAs don't want to play in Boston" spiel, but free agency is as much of a crapshoot as the draft. David West, LeBron James, and Chris Bosh are just the most recent examples.

Re-signing our own free agents don't count lol when's the left time a free agent left their team to sign in Boston?
Not sure why it doesn't count. Garnett had every option to leave and sign for more. Same for Allen (and he _did_ leave this year).

In any case, neither Payton nor Wilkins were our own free agents. And another thing to consider is that until recently, not that many of what you'd call "big time" players left their teams through free agency. That's a relatively new phenomenon.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 06:18:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
that's a lot of lesser-quality players coming back to the C's for their best clutch performer (PP) and someone who might be major salary relief for Indy next year if they get him.

I'd want at least Parsons and either Jones or Patterson too in place of Delfino (if the $ works).  Augustin, Delfino and Aldrich just don't do it for me as an incentive to trade PP
Obviously you didn't read my posted trade.

Boston would also get about a 6 million trade exception.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 06:18:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Houston is interested in Granger?
according to fox sports they are.

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2013, 06:20:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
If I'm giving up Pierce, I want a legit building piece back.  Doesn't have to be a sure thing, but it has to have more potential than any of those players.
You can get a legit building piece with Pierce's vacated salary slot. That piece doesn't have to come directly in the trade.
You can get a legit piece with Pierce's slot when his contract expires too -- so no need to trade him.
no you can't.  Boston won't have cap room or the ability to fill that slot with anything other than draft picks or MLE signings.

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2013, 06:25:49 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
If I'm giving up Pierce, I want a legit building piece back.  Doesn't have to be a sure thing, but it has to have more potential than any of those players.
You can get a legit building piece with Pierce's vacated salary slot. That piece doesn't have to come directly in the trade.
You can get a legit piece with Pierce's slot when his contract expires too -- so no need to trade him.
no you can't.  Boston won't have cap room or the ability to fill that slot with anything other than draft picks or MLE signings.
I expect Garnett and Pierce to go off the books simultaneously, in 2014 or 2015. If you expect that Pierce will retire in 2014 and Garnett will stay for an extra season, sure.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2013, 06:29:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I expect Garnett and Pierce to go off the books simultaneously, in 2014 or 2015. If you expect that Pierce will retire in 2014 and Garnett will stay for an extra season, sure.
still won't have cap room.

2015 Salaries
Rondo - 13
Green - 9.5
Bass - 7
Lee - 5.5
Terry - 5.5

So right there alone you get 40.5, that doesn't account for Bradley and his Q.O. of 3.5, Sullinger's 1.4, Melo's 1.3, the 2013 rookie, the 2014 rookie and a couple of other cap holds. Obviously if Garnett sticks around that is another 12 million.

Boston will not have cap space until at least the 2015 season without making multiple moves.

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2013, 06:36:59 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

2015 Salaries
Rondo - 13
Green - 9.5
Bass - 7
Lee - 5.5
Terry - 5.5

So right there alone you get 40.5, that doesn't account for Bradley and his Q.O. of 3.5, Sullinger's 1.4, Melo's 1.3, the 2013 rookie, the 2014 rookie and a couple of other cap holds. Obviously if Garnett sticks around that is another 12 million.

Boston will not have cap space until at least the 2015 season without making multiple moves.
The cap was $58 this season. I don't think we'll have $18 million worth of holds.

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2013, 07:04:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

2015 Salaries
Rondo - 13
Green - 9.5
Bass - 7
Lee - 5.5
Terry - 5.5

The cap was $58 this season. I don't think we'll have $18 million worth of holds.
True, but I didn't say they would.  Bradley is at least 3.5 million that summer (and probably more).  Sullinger is 1.5 million.  I can't see Boston walking away from them, so that adds 5 million.  Melo also has an option for about 1.4 million.  The 2013 and 2014 1st round picks will add at least 2.5 million, but I'd say based on current draft position liklihood those will be 3.5 million.  So add in those 5 players and their 10 million and you are up to 50.5 million.  That is only 10 players, so you have to add in another 1 million or so in cap holds, and you are at 51.5 million, which is essentially enough room under the cap to sign a MLE type player.

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2013, 07:17:03 PM »

Offline The Fawb

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a69yt6e

This is the trade i would like.
Boston gets: Parsons,G. Smith,C. Aldrich and T. Douglas
Boston gives: Pierce (to indiana)

Indiana gets: Paul Pierce
Indiana gives: Granger, Ben Hansbrough

Houston Gets: Granger, barbosa, Wilcox and B. Hansbrough
Houston gives: Parsons, smith, aldrich and douglas

Boston starts the rebuild with two very good young players in Greg Smith and Chandler Parsons (both very good WP/48 consistently) and saves a ton of money (both aldrich and douglas are expiring deals anyway and aren't very good).

Indiana gets a much more legit playoff team without as much injury worry with Granger (pretty much a straight swap for them)

Houston gets a "star" in Granger to pair with Harden, Lin and Asik to form a very respectable starting five still packed with young talent, and get some bench replacements to help make up for their traded players so they can continue to compete.

The only thing that could hold this up is Houston not wanting Granger but all the rumors state they want him.