Author Topic: Houston interested in Granger - Could Boston get in on that  (Read 6209 times)

Re: Houston interested in Granger - Could Boston get in on that
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 12:42:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The reason the Pacers would want to trade with Houston is that the Rockets have cap space and could give them a handful of cheap young players in return for Granger (i.e. cost-controlled depth).

Taking on Pierce instead doesn't really fit their goals.  Paul George has blossomed while starting at SF this year.  Why acquire a high usage veteran like Pierce who will only be around for a season or so anyway and push George back to SG? 

Makes more sense for the Pacers to use Granger to bolster their horrid bench and get some more young assets.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 12:45:30 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If I'm giving up Pierce, I want a legit building piece back.  Doesn't have to be a sure thing, but it has to have more potential than any of those players.
You can get a legit building piece with Pierce's vacated salary slot. That piece doesn't have to come directly in the trade.
You can get a legit piece with Pierce's slot when his contract expires too -- so no need to trade him.
Two extra years from now.

Trading Pierce (and others) now gives Danny more time and more opportunities to put a new contender together around Rondo.
Doubtful. With the new CBA, I don't foresee many contenders built through free agency.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 12:47:51 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

Boston
Sends: Jeff Green, Fab Melo, Jason Collins, B Bass, pix
Gets: Omer Asik, Chandler Parsons

Indiana
Sends: Danny Granger
Gets: Jeff Green, B Bass, Fab Melo, pix

Houston
Sends: Omer Asik, Chandler Parsons, pix
Gets: Danny Granger, Jason Collins

Something in this ballpark, eh?

This exact trade probably won't go through, because of Green's contract, and Houston won't (and shouldn't) give up Asik, but wishful thinking doesn't hurt. :D

I think Parsons should've been a Celtic, anyway. He'd also fit very nicely next to Paul George on Indy, imo.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 12:52:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If I'm giving up Pierce, I want a legit building piece back.  Doesn't have to be a sure thing, but it has to have more potential than any of those players.
You can get a legit building piece with Pierce's vacated salary slot. That piece doesn't have to come directly in the trade.
You can get a legit piece with Pierce's slot when his contract expires too -- so no need to trade him.

Trading Pierce (and others) now gives Danny more time and more opportunities to put a new contender together around Rondo.
Doubtful. With the new CBA, I don't foresee many contenders built through free agency.

Yep.  Only way to "build a contender around Rondo" is to acquire various assets gradually and then make some trades or completely tank for a season or two and get lucky in consecutive drafts (the OKC plan). 

Either way, Rondo is in his early 30s before the team is elite again.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 12:53:05 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Yeah trades with cap space seem more likely, and the draft obviously.

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 12:53:56 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

So you want to build through the draft after Pierce and Garnett retire?

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 01:00:08 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.

I feel like that's not as bad an option as one would think, with the right GM. I mean, when Danny stepped in, he drafted well enough to get VERY lucky and trade for Allen and Garnett.

Building a contender includes patience, good decision making, good scouting, and most of all, LUCK.

There's no sure way t build a contender, but there are good ways to put yourself in good position to build a contender, with good young players.

Just look at Houston; they're in a very good direction, because of taking chances on good signings, drafting good young talent (assets), and keeping those young assets/ trading them when the right deal comes (Harden).

They're poised for a decent future, at the very least.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 01:03:36 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Not necessarily after. But I don't see any more value in sitting with a ton of cap space waiting for a player of the right caliber to come along... who may or may not want to play in Boston. And don't forget that there are minimum payroll requirements too, that's how Chuck Hayes ended up with that ginormous contract in Houston.

The draft is a crapshoot, yes. But I prefer it to free agency. Even if you don't quite draft the next big thing, I really think that making someone bite on your assets is easier than signing a really good free agent.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 01:37:52 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Not necessarily after. But I don't see any more value in sitting with a ton of cap space waiting for a player of the right caliber to come along... who may or may not want to play in Boston. And don't forget that there are minimum payroll requirements too, that's how Chuck Hayes ended up with that ginormous contract in Houston.

The draft is a crapshoot, yes. But I prefer it to free agency. Even if you don't quite draft the next big thing, I really think that making someone bite on your assets is easier than signing a really good free agent.

I'm with you..as much as we love Boston and its history it's not really a place free agents like to play, it's very cold and cold climates don't do well in free agency.

I poses this question in another thread but who was the last big time free agent to sign in Boston?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I poses this question in another thread but who was the last big time free agent to sign in Boston?
Kevin Garnett. Ray Allen. Before that, you probably have to go back to Gary Payton and Dominique Wilkins.

In any case, I'm not so concerned about the "FAs don't want to play in Boston" spiel, but free agency is as much of a crapshoot as the draft. David West, LeBron James, and Chris Bosh are just the most recent examples.

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 01:50:37 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I like blowing it up now.

I think Boston can still get a pick in the 8-12 range rather than the 16-20 range I expect them to end up in if they keep it together.

Then they have the cap space to make a run at some major free agents (or trade targets using cap space to take on big contracts) this summer. If those options are unappealing or if Boston fails to get the guy they want, they can use their cap space to take on bad contracts from other teams and pick up additional assets in the process (picks / prospects).

Then they have another low pick the following summer if the FA opportunities didn't work out. Plus another shot at the free agent / trade market.

Then there will be another season to try and make moves. All before Garnett's contract expires.

I think there are a lot of opportunities there to rebuild the team. I would like to pursue them rather than keep Pierce and Garnett together for the next 2 and a half years.

That is my first preference.

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 01:54:45 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I think Boston can still get a pick in the 8-12 range rather than the 16-20 range I expect them to end up in if they keep it together.

Then they have the cap space to make a run at some major free agents (or trade targets using cap space to take on big contracts) this summer. If those options are unappealing or if Boston fails to get the guy they want, they can use their cap space to take on bad contracts from other teams and pick up additional assets in the process (picks / prospects).
Unless you can name specific players you realistically expect to get in the draft and in free agency, this discussion remains purely academic.

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 02:06:52 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Unless you can name specific players you realistically expect to get in the draft and in free agency, this discussion remains purely academic.
Yes it is = about which way is the best and quickest way to win another NBA title.

Whether it is with this core group or not. Or if the next title will only come after the next rebuild. And if it is next rebuild, should it start now or after Pierce / Garnett retire.

If one believes this core can still win an NBA title this season or in the next two years, I can see the reason for the keeping it together.

If not, I think the added opportunities to improve the team by blowing it up now instead of in two and a half year's time are too good to pass up on. 

It is a two and a half year longer window of creating opportunities (primarily through cap flexibility and also higher draft picks) to improve the team. Beginning rebuilding when Rondo is 26/27 instead of 29/30 to give Danny Ainge the best chance of building a new title contender with Rondo still a main cog in the team.

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 02:28:41 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Kevin Garnett. Ray Allen. Before that, you probably have to go back to Gary Payton and Dominique Wilkins.

In any case, I'm not so concerned about the "FAs don't want to play in Boston" spiel, but free agency is as much of a crapshoot as the draft. David West, LeBron James, and Chris Bosh are just the most recent examples.

Re-signing our own free agents don't count lol when's the left time a free agent left their team to sign in Boston?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 02:51:03 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Re-signing our own free agents don't count lol when's the left time a free agent left their team to sign in Boston?

This past offseason: Jason Terry and Courtney Lee.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague