Author Topic: Houston interested in Granger - Could Boston get in on that  (Read 6204 times)

Houston interested in Granger - Could Boston get in on that
« on: February 05, 2013, 08:10:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Something like this would work financially

Houston - Granger
Indiana - Pierce, Douglas
Boston - Augustin, Aldrich, Delfino, and then one (or more) of the young Rockets prospects (Jones, Patterson, Parsons, Morris, White, etc.)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Houston interested in Granger - Could Boston get in on that
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 08:14:57 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Eh....nothing to get excited about...not sure why anyone is interested in Granger or why we want a platter of poo....highly doubt the rockets would include Parsons...the only name in there that would interest me

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 08:17:42 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
that's a lot of lesser-quality players coming back to the C's for their best clutch performer (PP) and someone who might be major salary relief for Indy next year if they get him.

I'd want at least Parsons and either Jones or Patterson too in place of Delfino (if the $ works).  Augustin, Delfino and Aldrich just don't do it for me as an incentive to trade PP

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 09:02:41 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
This is why I'd probably be a bad GM in terms of not actually being able to pull the trigger on a trade. If I were trading with Houston, I find so many of their players to be so similar that I would want several back in a trade. for example, this 3 way works financially:

Boston
Gives: Pierce
Gets: Delfino, Aldrich, Jones, Motiejunas, Parsons, Smith
Has to cut: Wilcox, Collins, Barbosa

Indiana:
Gives: Ben Hansbrough, Granger
Gets: Pierce

Houston:
Gives: Delfino, Aldrich, Jones, Motiejunas, Parsons, Smith
Gets: Granger, Ben Hansbrough

So Indiand upgrades Granger to Pierce and saves some money. They have to include 1 small contract with Granger to make the money work.

Houston likely doesn't do this. But the challenge for them is unless they are giving up Lin or Asik, they need to include a bunch of small contracts; in this case Delfino and Aldrich are just salary filler, while the rest are the meat of the trade. I don't know if Houston would give all that up for Granger, but I probably would take that.

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 09:27:04 AM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
This is why I'd probably be a bad GM in terms of not actually being able to pull the trigger on a trade. If I were trading with Houston, I find so many of their players to be so similar that I would want several back in a trade. for example, this 3 way works financially:

Boston

Indiana:

Houston:

So Indiand upgrades Granger to Pierce and saves some money. They have to include 1 small contract with Granger to make the money work.

Houston likely doesn't do this. But the challenge for them is unless they are giving up Lin or Asik, they need to include a bunch of small contracts; in this case Delfino and Aldrich are just salary filler, while the rest are the meat of the trade. I don't know if Houston would give all that up for Granger, but I probably would take that.
I like the general idea, Fan from VT.  I was playing with the trade machine last night for Pierce trades, and the only one that even remotely made sense was Indy, and including Houston makes a lot of sense.  I just think that your proposal has them giving up too many decent young assets.  Parsons, in particular is a good player, and I could see them keeping him as a piece going forward for their team (would like him on ours, too).  Jones has a lot of talent and will be a player, imo.  Smith is a very useful guy, as we've seen all year.  Montiejunas looked like a very solid project in the preseason (or was it summer league, can't remember) when I saw him.  Still, they'd be getting Granger, a youngish borderline all-star type of guy.  He'd pair nicely with Harden.  I really like what they're doing down there in Houston.

Anyway, some variation of your 3 way makes a lot of sense.  Even if we don't get 4 prospects as in your idea, just getting, say, Parsons and Jones out of it (if you're going the rebuild/trade PP route) is a decent jump start on the rebuild, and like I said, it's hard to find a PP trade that makes any sense for other teams.  Indy is one of the few that might work.

Then, the other shoe to drop would be KG to LAC.  It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks.  A team (in this case Indy) would have to feel like they're right there on the cusp to do a deal like this, and I'm not sure they're quite that close.  It's all pretty unlikely still, but I do think Indy is the most likely landing spot for PP if any deal is to be done. 

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 09:32:34 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Boston

Indiana:

Houston:

I think this is such a one sided trade for Boston. Pierce is not and upgrade for Granger and Houston is giving up way too much for Granger as well.

IMO of course.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 10:01:07 AM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103

Boston

Indiana:

Houston:

I think this is such a one sided trade for Boston. Pierce is not and upgrade for Granger and Houston is giving up way too much for Granger as well.

IMO of course.
You're right.  That is homerish for Boston.  The truth is, if Houston wants Granger, they've got better pieces (at least for the long term) to give Indy than we do.  Indy already has Paul George at the 3, who's merely playing great.  Crazy as it sounds, we'd probably have to throw in a first to shoehorn in on this.  Danny would have to decide whether the players he'd get back are more valuable/have more upside than who he might get in the draft.

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 10:03:10 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Eh....nothing to get excited about...not sure why anyone is interested in Granger or why we want a platter of poo....highly doubt the rockets would include Parsons...the only name in there that would interest me

I would be mighty scared of Granger. He's dropped off the last two years and that was before he had major surgery.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 12:18:50 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
If I'm giving up Pierce, I want a legit building piece back.  Doesn't have to be a sure thing, but it has to have more potential than any of those players.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 12:20:59 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Houston is interested in Granger?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 12:23:50 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I would be mighty scared of Granger. He's dropped off the last two years and that was before he had major surgery.
And the knee he had surgery on is apparently a bad degenerative condition too...

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 12:29:29 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
If I'm giving up Pierce, I want a legit building piece back.  Doesn't have to be a sure thing, but it has to have more potential than any of those players.
You can get a legit building piece with Pierce's vacated salary slot. That piece doesn't have to come directly in the trade.

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 12:32:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
You can get a legit building piece with Pierce's vacated salary slot. That piece doesn't have to come directly in the trade.
You can get a legit piece with Pierce's slot when his contract expires too -- so no need to trade him.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 12:33:57 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
You can get a legit piece with Pierce's slot when his contract expires too -- so no need to trade him.
Yeah, which is why Danny might instead trade some of the role players if he can.

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 12:37:25 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Two extra years from now.

Trading Pierce (and others) now gives Danny more time and more opportunities to put a new contender together around Rondo.