Author Topic: PHX/BOS Simple & Realistic  (Read 5864 times)

PHX/BOS Simple & Realistic
« on: February 04, 2013, 09:29:21 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ayxcfwd

Bos Gets: Gortat
PHX Gets: Melo / Bass

Re: PHX/BOS Simple & Realistic
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 09:31:17 PM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
If we still keep future HOFs Pierce, KG and Collins. Then its a deal!
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 09:32:37 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
I don't know I just don't see PHX trading Gortat for an unproven nba rookie center and Bass on a bad year...

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 09:32:48 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Simple, yes. Realistic, no.

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 10:02:10 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
If we still keep future HOFs Pierce, KG and Collins. Then its a deal!

I see what you did there.. But Yes I would love to get Gortat here. Would be a great plyer next to KG

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 10:07:09 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Why does Phoenix do this again?

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 10:23:07 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Great for us. Bad for them.

Expirings, picks and/or rookie deals is what they want.

Maybe turn Bass into an expiring, plus Melo plus a 1st or two seconds might do it.

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 10:50:06 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 10:52:24 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 11:09:02 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't think it's completely implausible.  Phoenix wants to trade Gortat.  He's got a decent contract, but this means they are limited in the amount of salary they can take back (also, the Phoenix owner is a cheapskate.)  Melo's D-league play has not hurt his stock, and Bass's contract isn't atrocious.  I think they'd prefer Bradley, but if Bradley were available Gortat would already be a Celtic.

We'd probably have to add some sort of draft compensation unless Bass remembers how to play basketball in the next two weeks, but I don't think such a deal is implausible.  Unlikely, yes, because all deals posted on Celticsblog are unlikely, but I've seen (and probably proposed) worse.

That said, I don't do this deal, because I'm I'm favor of blowing it all up, and trading for Gortat doesn't fit that plan too well.

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 11:19:41 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I don't think it's completely implausible.  Phoenix wants to trade Gortat.  He's got a decent contract, but this means they are limited in the amount of salary they can take back (also, the Phoenix owner is a cheapskate.)  Melo's D-league play has not hurt his stock, and Bass's contract isn't atrocious.  I think they'd prefer Bradley, but if Bradley were available Gortat would already be a Celtic.

We'd probably have to add some sort of draft compensation unless Bass remembers how to play basketball in the next two weeks, but I don't think such a deal is implausible.  Unlikely, yes, because all deals posted on Celticsblog are unlikely, but I've seen (and probably proposed) worse.

That said, I don't do this deal, because I'm I'm favor of blowing it all up, and trading for Gortat doesn't fit that plan too well.

Would you still want to blow it up if we could get Gortat on our team?

PHX needs someone to bill as a star.  We have Rondo on a shelf for the season, maybe part of next (while PHX tanks anyway).  Rondo for Gortat makes sense for both sides, with possible sweetener (high 2nd/protected 1st rounder).

I don't think our team plus Gortat (or Okafor) should be blown up; they'd have a puncher's chance in the playoffs.  Nobody would want to face us for 7 games.

So acquiring that, rather than blowing up, should be the goal right now, IMO.

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 11:30:59 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

PHX needs someone to bill as a star.  We have Rondo on a shelf for the season, maybe part of next (while PHX tanks anyway).  Rondo for Gortat makes sense for both sides, with possible sweetener (high 2nd/protected 1st rounder).

I don't think our team plus Gortat (or Okafor) should be blown up; they'd have a puncher's chance in the playoffs.  Nobody would want to face us for 7 games.

We're not a championship contender this year without Rondo.  And I don't think we were with him, either.  If we'd gotten Gortat and Rondo hadn't gotten hurt, maybe.  We might be a scary team to
face in the first round, and be able to make it a tough series.  Maybe even get to the second round somehow.  But we're simply not consistent enough to win 4 consecutive, or even 3 consecutive, 7-game series in a row.  Take yesterday.  Sure, we won, but not before letting the clippers, without Chris Paul, completely back into the game after having a big lead.  It was no different than a lot of our recent losses, except this time Pierce made a last-second shot instead of fumbling the ball out of bounds.

So while I like Gortat a lot, and think we should kick the tires in the offseason if we are not successful at blowing up the roster this year, and if Rondo is healing well, I don't think we should get him now.

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 11:36:01 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28
Even if we're not I think it's fairly obvious that Paul and kg want to at least TRY one more time. Might as well give then them the best supporting cast we can to make them feel like we have a chance. At the very least it'll be entertaining, yes? Still no way in heck Phoenix says yes to this.
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 08:29:48 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Actually, that makes absolutely no sense for the Celtics.  Give up your best player and one of the top PGs in the league for an ok center?  Horrible deal.  We're not winning it all this year without Rondo and adding Gortat doesn't improve those odds much. 

Danny's sensible options at this point are to either make moves that will strengthen the team for next year with Rondo and Sully back OR blow it up completely.  We still have KG and PP next year (sure a year older) but we still have the same roster basically that now seems to understand how to play well together (as of this moment at least--they could go on another losing streak at a moment's notice).  add a better backup big man than Collins with the lower-MLE and/or the BAE and another spare part or two for depth insurance and take another run at it.

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 08:34:02 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

Kareem Abdul.....Gortat?

Aren't a contender with gortat....absurd theory trading our best player for a borderline scrub