Author Topic: ESPN's 5-on-5: What's the best Kevin Garnett trade the Celtics can make?  (Read 17666 times)

Re: ESPN's 5-on-5: What's the best Kevin Garnett trade the Celtics can make?
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2013, 09:00:22 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I like how this team win's a few games after being terrible all season and now they have a "punchers chance" to beat miami, chicago, etc.   They don't.   They won't next year either. It's fine,  keep them together.  But stop pretending you're rooting for anything other than an average team and average results.

« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2013, 09:12:40 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Why are people so anxious for us to get young and suck?  I am 41yrs old, I've been through the young and suck phase and I am in no hurry to go there again.

Young and suck was bad but watching Bird, Parish and McHale and DJ get old was bad as well.   I think watching McHale's final season was worse than the young guys playing.
I remember McHale's last game and it was pretty awesome. 

« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2013, 09:19:48 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I like how this team win's a few games after being terrible all season and now they have a "punchers chance" to beat miami, chicago, etc.   They don't.   They won't next year either. It's fine,  keep them together.  But stop pretending you're rooting for anything other than an average team and average results.

We are absolutely very capable of beating Chicago.

I'm far more worried about Miami and NY, even though we have beaten both teams without Rondo.  We're certainly capable of beating any team in the east if we play with energy and hustle.

Philly were considered underdogs against us last season, but they pushed us right to the limit.  Playoff basketball is way different to regular season basketball - upsets happen and the (on paper) beter team doesn't always win.  The games are usually pretty close, and when you have a game that's close all the way one or two plays can decide a game.  It can go either way,.

« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2013, 09:21:20 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Dallas Mavs were an average team!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2013, 10:05:56 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Why are people so anxious for us to get young and suck?

They want to prove that even the worst NBA GMs are better than your typical "guy on internet".
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2013, 10:07:36 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Because we'll have to get young and suck eventually.

I'm not convinced that the Celtics have to go through a "young and suck" phase between the current and the next championship windows.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

They want to prove that even the worst NBA GMs are better than your typical "guy on internet".

For me, it's because you eventually gotta do it. If you want to be truly special, you've got to make smart picks, get a little lucky, and make special trades. Our road back gets a lot easier with a top 5 pick, and if we're not in the hunt for a title, I don't see the point in being ordinary. Id rather be bad to get good.

Not that Im advocating trading pierce or Kg just to be worse, but if we had real potential building blocks coming back, Id be okay with it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2013, 10:14:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Why are people so anxious for us to get young and suck?  I am 41yrs old, I've been through the young and suck phase and I am in no hurry to go there again.

Young and suck was bad but watching Bird, Parish and McHale and DJ get old was bad as well.   I think watching McHale's final season was worse than the young guys playing.

Yeah, I enjoyed watching Bird, and especially McHale for whatever reason, in their twilight. 

It was definitely more fun than having 95% of the fan base rooting for the team to lose, and almost hoping for injuries (or "injuries") to our stars.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2013, 10:29:22 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Yeah, I enjoyed watching Bird, and especially McHale for whatever reason, in their twilight. 

It was definitely more fun than having 95% of the fan base rooting for the team to lose, and almost hoping for injuries (or "injuries") to our stars.

Is it weird that I remember that soul-crushing 06/07 season fondly now? Al Jefferson's #7 jersey is still on my wall, retired fondly because it was through grasping at the straws of that season and the ones before it are the seasons that turned me into a truly obsessive fan.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2013, 10:38:18 PM »

Offline The4Time2Doctor0

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 18
Indeedproceed, i also remember that season fondly. they sucked but it was fun. i actually think they overachieved that year. ill take overachieving over underachieving. underachieving is frustrating.

ESPN: Trade possibilities for KG and Pierce
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2013, 08:23:10 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40

In the context of this recent tweet from long-time NBA writer Shaun Powell:

A recent ESPN 5-on-5 discussed some of the trade possibilities Boston could make in dealing Kevin Garnett or Paul Pierce.

These are just suggestions and only two have actually been brought up as rumor.

1. What's the best Kevin Garnett trade the Celtics can make?

Israel Gutierrez, ESPN.com: Garnett and Fab Melo to Chicago for Joakim Noah and Marco Belinelli. No trade at all is their best bet. The Celtics are unlikely to get anything close to equal value for Garnett, who's so vital to what Boston does and fits in so well with Rajon Rondo. And if there's any indication he won't play out the final two years of his deal, that's even less leverage for the Celtics. But if -- and this is a huge if -- they can get something significant for KG, I'd do this deal.

Andrew Han, ClipperBlog: Garnett, Avery Bradley to the Clippers for Eric Bledsoe, DeAndre Jordan and Trey Thompkins. Garnett's no-trade clause limits the Celtics' options mostly to Los Angeles; he owns a home in Malibu and is godfather to Chauncey Billups' daughter. Boston gets back a coveted player/athlete and turns one of their off-ball guards into a point guard, suddenly a position of need. Add an intriguing prospect in Thompkins and an athletic center in Jordan and the Celtics get young in a hurry.

Curtis Harris, Hardwood Paroxysm: Garnett to the Nuggets for JaVale McGee. Going to Denver keeps KG on a playoff team that needs his defensive prowess in the interior. Meanwhile, Boston would get McGee, who may still blossom into a competent defensive force in his own right. And if it doesn't work, Boston can be woeful, get lottery picks and trade McGee's expiring deal in three seasons for future building blocks.

Sean Highkin, Portland Roundball Soc.: Garnett to the Thunder for Kendrick Perkins, Jeremy Lamb, Perry Jones III and Toronto's lottery-guaranteed first-rounder. Taking back Perkins' contract isn't ideal, but the Celtics load up on cheap, controllable, high-upside rookies and get a pick that could potentially be very high. From the Thunder's perspective, upgrading from Perk to KG would make it hard not to be considered title favorites.

Jack Winter, WarriorsWorld: Garnett and Melo to the Spurs for Kawhi Leonard, Tiago Splitter and Boris Diaw. Leonard is one of the league's true blue-chip prospects, a great athlete with elite defensive potential. Splitter has value, too. A small-picture view like this is against the Spurs' very fabric as an organization, but Garnett and Tim Duncan on the same front line? If there was ever a reason to swing for the fences, this might be it.

Reaction:

The Joakim Noah trade is pretty laughable.

Of course the Clippers blog guy would want Avery Bradley with KG for Bledsoe and Jordan. For me, having Bradley is one of the major reasons to get Bledsoe, not to include him in the deal for Bledsoe.

I really like McGee’s potential, but he would be best served playing alongside KG and learning from him instead of joining another team with no veteran legit big men to learn from.

Trading KG for Perkins and the young assets in OKC is not horrible, but it would mean Danny Ainge was wrong to trade Perkins away and GMs don’t like to make those kind of concessions.

Leonard is a very good player, but adding him to the already clogged wingman spot just doesn’t make sense. And anyone who is a longtime KG fan will want to throw up in their mouth at the idea of KG and Duncan on the same team.

5. What's the best Paul Pierce trade the Celtics can make?

Gutierrez: Pierce to Lakers for Gasol. This would essentially be a basketball crime. The two great rival franchises trading former titlists for each other? And frankly, from the Lakers' end, it wouldn't exactly fit their need. But we're talking about the best thing for Boston, and having a big like Gasol to pair with Garnett, should he stay put, would make the Celtics suddenly intriguing, even without Rondo this season.

Han: Pierce to the Jazz for Al Jefferson and a first-round pick (lower of two available). Boston moves some long-term money and pairs Garnett with another legitimate low-post big man in Jefferson, the former Celtic who was once traded for Garnett. Not only do the Celtics plan for the future with a first-round pick, this trade also gives them a stylistic advantage in the smaller East.

Harris: Paul Pierce to Jazz for Paul Millsap and Marvin Williams. The Celtics get Pierce's temporary replacement in Williams and a stud power forward in Millsap. Pierce would give the Jazz a much-needed 3-point shooter while moving Millsap clears up their logjam at power forward.

Highkin: Paul Pierce to the Clippers for Eric Bledsoe, Caron Butler and Lamar Odom. The Celtics get one of the most-sought-after backcourt prospects in the league in Bledsoe, and can either use him to make Rajon Rondo expendable or play him at shooting guard; a Rondo-Bledsoe-Bradley lineup would make for one of the toughest perimeter defense combos out there. The Clippers get out of Butler's contract and go all-in on a title run in the next two years.

Winter: Pierce and Jason Terry to the Warriors for Harrison Barnes, Jarrett Jack, Richard Jefferson and Festus Ezeli. Barnes has quietly had a good rookie season for the Warriors, already offering value as a "three-and-D" type while showing flashes of star power as an individual scorer. His ceiling is relatively akin to an in-prime Pierce, actually, and Boston rids itself of Terry's three-year deal in this scenario, too. Golden State is one of the league's biggest surprises, but to be anything more than that this season, it'll need to make a move. Acquiring Pierce, still an elite two-way player, could be just the one who makes the Warriors a true contender.

Reaction:

Pierce for Gasol. Boston and the Lakers trading marquee players. No.

Pierce for Jefferson has way too many storylines connected to it. Trading Jefferson for KG and then later getting Jefferson to play with KG by trading Pierce? It wouldn’t be a horrible basketball move and fans might even be somewhat acceptable to it by getting back Jefferson, but it just doesn’t feel right. Not enough separation.

Now trading Pierce for the other Jazz big on the outs wouldn’t be horrible, but Marvin Williams is just awful. They would have to include a better player like Mo Williams to make that deal at least serviceable.

Pierce for Bledsoe, Butler and Odom just seems like too much for the Clippers to give up. I’d entertain this proposal as Odom still does so many things on the court and can play so many positions and Butler has something left in the tank. Odom is on an expiring deal too, so it could be a way to have one last push until really entering rebuild mode.

Pierce and Terry for Barnes is the most compelling deal as Barnes should be a great player in the future. The idea of a core of Barnes, Bradley and Sullinger with another potentially great young big if Rondo is dealt is just too good to pass up. It also keeps the Celtics relevant with a decent PG in Jack and Richard Jefferson. Oh and the Celtics would deal away Terry’s contract which should help next year if Boston decides to hold onto Rondo.

Follow Eric
 @ericblaisdell13

Re: ESPN: Trade possibilities for KG and Pierce
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2013, 08:42:17 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

A recent ESPN 5-on-5 discussed some of the trade possibilities Boston could make in dealing Kevin Garnett or Paul Pierce.

Israel Gutierrez, ESPN.com: Garnett and Fab Melo to Chicago for Joakim Noah and Marco Belinelli. No trade at all is their best bet. The Celtics are unlikely to get anything close to equal value for Garnett, who's so vital to what Boston does and fits in so well with Rajon Rondo. And if there's any indication he won't play out the final two years of his deal, that's even less leverage for the Celtics. But if -- and this is a huge if -- they can get something significant for KG, I'd do this deal.

Andrew Han, ClipperBlog: Garnett, Avery Bradley to the Clippers for Eric Bledsoe, DeAndre Jordan and Trey Thompkins. Garnett's no-trade clause limits the Celtics' options mostly to Los Angeles; he owns a home in Malibu and is godfather to Chauncey Billups' daughter. Boston gets back a coveted player/athlete and turns one of their off-ball guards into a point guard, suddenly a position of need. Add an intriguing prospect in Thompkins and an athletic center in Jordan and the Celtics get young in a hurry.

Curtis Harris, Hardwood Paroxysm: Garnett to the Nuggets for JaVale McGee. Going to Denver keeps KG on a playoff team that needs his defensive prowess in the interior. Meanwhile, Boston would get McGee, who may still blossom into a competent defensive force in his own right. And if it doesn't work, Boston can be woeful, get lottery picks and trade McGee's expiring deal in three seasons for future building blocks.

Sean Highkin, Portland Roundball Soc.: Garnett to the Thunder for Kendrick Perkins, Jeremy Lamb, Perry Jones III and Toronto's lottery-guaranteed first-rounder. Taking back Perkins' contract isn't ideal, but the Celtics load up on cheap, controllable, high-upside rookies and get a pick that could potentially be very high. From the Thunder's perspective, upgrading from Perk to KG would make it hard not to be considered title favorites.

Jack Winter, WarriorsWorld: Garnett and Melo to the Spurs for Kawhi Leonard, Tiago Splitter and Boris Diaw. Leonard is one of the league's true blue-chip prospects, a great athlete with elite defensive potential. Splitter has value, too. A small-picture view like this is against the Spurs' very fabric as an organization, but Garnett and Tim Duncan on the same front line? If there was ever a reason to swing for the fences, this might be it.

Reaction:

Of course the Clippers blog guy would want Avery Bradley with KG for Bledsoe and Jordan. For me, having Bradley is one of the major reasons to get Bledsoe, not to include him in the deal for Bledsoe.

I really like McGee’s potential, but he would be best served playing alongside KG and learning from him instead of joining another team with no veteran legit big men to learn from.

Trading KG for Perkins and the young assets in OKC is not horrible, but it would mean Danny Ainge was wrong to trade Perkins away and GMs don’t like to make those kind of concessions.

Leonard is a very good player, but adding him to the already clogged wingman spot just doesn’t make sense. And anyone who is a longtime KG fan will want to throw up in their mouth at the idea of KG and Duncan on the same team.

Gutierrez: Pierce to Lakers for Gasol. This would essentially be a basketball crime. The two great rival franchises trading former titlists for each other? And frankly, from the Lakers' end, it wouldn't exactly fit their need. But we're talking about the best thing for Boston, and having a big like Gasol to pair with Garnett, should he stay put, would make the Celtics suddenly intriguing, even without Rondo this season.

Han: Pierce to the Jazz for Al Jefferson and a first-round pick (lower of two available). Boston moves some long-term money and pairs Garnett with another legitimate low-post big man in Jefferson, the former Celtic who was once traded for Garnett. Not only do the Celtics plan for the future with a first-round pick, this trade also gives them a stylistic advantage in the smaller East.

Harris: Paul Pierce to Jazz for Paul Millsap and Marvin Williams. The Celtics get Pierce's temporary replacement in Williams and a stud power forward in Millsap. Pierce would give the Jazz a much-needed 3-point shooter while moving Millsap clears up their logjam at power forward.

Highkin: Paul Pierce to the Clippers for Eric Bledsoe, Caron Butler and Lamar Odom. The Celtics get one of the most-sought-after backcourt prospects in the league in Bledsoe, and can either use him to make Rajon Rondo expendable or play him at shooting guard; a Rondo-Bledsoe-Bradley lineup would make for one of the toughest perimeter defense combos out there. The Clippers get out of Butler's contract and go all-in on a title run in the next two years.

Winter: Pierce and Jason Terry to the Warriors for Harrison Barnes, Jarrett Jack, Richard Jefferson and Festus Ezeli. Barnes has quietly had a good rookie season for the Warriors, already offering value as a "three-and-D" type while showing flashes of star power as an individual scorer. His ceiling is relatively akin to an in-prime Pierce, actually, and Boston rids itself of Terry's three-year deal in this scenario, too. Golden State is one of the league's biggest surprises, but to be anything more than that this season, it'll need to make a move. Acquiring Pierce, still an elite two-way player, could be just the one who makes the Warriors a true contender.

Reaction:

Pierce for Jefferson has way too many storylines connected to it. Trading Jefferson for KG and then later getting Jefferson to play with KG by trading Pierce? It wouldn’t be a horrible basketball move and fans might even be somewhat acceptable to it by getting back Jefferson, but it just doesn’t feel right. Not enough separation.

Now trading Pierce for the other Jazz big on the outs wouldn’t be horrible, but Marvin Williams is just awful. They would have to include a better player like Mo Williams to make that deal at least serviceable.

Pierce for Bledsoe, Butler and Odom just seems like too much for the Clippers to give up. I’d entertain this proposal as Odom still does so many things on the court and can play so many positions and Butler has something left in the tank. Odom is on an expiring deal too, so it could be a way to have one last push until really entering rebuild mode.

Pierce and Terry for Barnes is the most compelling deal as Barnes should be a great player in the future. The idea of a core of Barnes, Bradley and Sullinger with another potentially great young big if Rondo is dealt is just too good to pass up. It also keeps the Celtics relevant with a decent PG in Jack and Richard Jefferson. Oh and the Celtics would deal away Terry’s contract which should help next year if Boston decides to hold onto Rondo.

Follow Eric
 @ericblaisdell13

I disagree that trading with OKC would be seen as confirming that trading Perkins was a "mistake," as Perkins is in no way the key of the deal. He's basically salary ballast with some sentimental value; the point is the young prospects and picks.

« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2013, 11:11:03 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210

For me, it's because you eventually gotta do it. If you want to be truly special, you've got to make smart picks, get a little lucky, and make special trades. Our road back gets a lot easier with a top 5 pick, and if we're not in the hunt for a title, I don't see the point in being ordinary. Id rather be bad to get good.

Not that Im advocating trading pierce or Kg just to be worse, but if we had real potential building blocks coming back, Id be okay with it.

I don't think you have to go into a long period of "suck" to become relevant again.  We have Rondo, Sully (if he makes is back he could be even better if he has been playing this whole season in pain), and Green takes the next step.  Then we have a chance at a good defensive C who is at least competent offensively in Melo.  In two years that could easily be the nucleus of a 3rd or 4th seed.

The luxury tax is going to change the NBA in two years.  I don't think we are going to see teams that look like the Lakers and Heat salary wise anymore.

Re: ESPN: Trade possibilities for KG and Pierce
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2013, 11:37:11 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Reaction:

Reaction:

Follow Eric
 @ericblaisdell13

I disagree that trading with OKC would be seen as confirming that trading Perkins was a "mistake," as Perkins is in no way the key of the deal. He's basically salary ballast with some sentimental value; the point is the young prospects and picks.

Agreed. He'd be in there for a cap match and would at least give us a decent starting center. Two young guns and a first rounder. He could give us 22 minutes a game with Fab trying to get the rest. I don't really dig the idea of taking on Jones who is an injury risk and Lamb who doesnt address an area of need for us. We would certainly be stockpiled with enough trade assets though.

« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2013, 12:30:32 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
#Celticstalk: KG on trade rumors: "Danny made it obvious ... that he was going to do what's best for this organization."

#Celticstalk: KG on trades, cont'd: "I bleed green. I die green, that's what it is. But it is a business. Trades are a part of this league."

#Celticstalk: KG on trade talks cont'd: "Every year, you're going to hear certain things.If I was y'all, I wouldn't read too much into it."