Author Topic: ESPN's 5-on-5: What's the best Kevin Garnett trade the Celtics can make?  (Read 17667 times)

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Now, the premsise of the article is speculation on loose rumors. There is no news here, and there are no solid leads. This is speculation only, and idle speculation at that (I'm assuming idle speculation is the worst).

Israel Gutierrez, ESPN.com: Garnett and Fab Melo to Chicago for Joakim Noah and Marco Belinelli. No trade at all is their best bet. The Celtics are unlikely to get anything close to equal value for Garnett, who's so vital to what Boston does and fits in so well with Rajon Rondo. And if there's any indication he won't play out the final two years of his deal, that's even less leverage for the Celtics. But if -- and this is a huge if -- they can get something significant for KG, I'd do this deal.

Andrew Han, ClipperBlog: Garnett, Avery Bradley to the Clippers for Eric Bledsoe, DeAndre Jordan and Trey Thompkins. Garnett's no-trade clause limits the Celtics' options mostly to Los Angeles; he owns a home in Malibu and is godfather to Chauncey Billups' daughter. Boston gets back a coveted player/athlete and turns one of their off-ball guards into a point guard, suddenly a position of need. Add an intriguing prospect in Thompkins and an athletic center in Jordan and the Celtics get young in a hurry.

Curtis Harris, Hardwood Paroxysm: Kevin Garnett to Nuggets for JaVale McGee. Going to Denver keeps KG on a playoff team that needs his defensive prowess in the interior. Meanwhile, Boston would get McGee, who may still blossom into a competent defensive force in his own right. And if it doesn't work, Boston can be woeful, get lottery picks and trade McGee's expiring deal in three seasons for future building blocks.

Sean Highkin, Portland Roundball Soc.: Kevin Garnett to the Thunder for Kendrick Perkins, Jeremy Lamb, Perry Jones III and Toronto's lottery-guaranteed first-rounder. Taking back Perkins' contract isn't ideal, but the Celtics load up on cheap, controllable, high-upside rookies and get a pick that could potentially be very high. From the Thunder's perspective, upgrading from Perk to KG would make it hard not to be considered title favorites.

Jack Winter, WarriorsWorld: Garnett and Fab Melo to the Spurs for Kawhi Leonard, Tiago Splitter and Boris Diaw. Leonard is one of the league's true blue-chip prospects, a great athlete with elite defensive potential, and Splitter has value, too. A small-picture view like this is against the Spurs' very fabric as an organization, but Garnett and Tim Duncan on the same frontline? If there was ever a reason to swing for the fences, this might be it.

I'd put in a kidney if the thunder sent back Perkins, Lamb, Jones, and the Toronto pick.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: ESPN's 5-on-5: What's the best Kevin Garnett trade the Celtics can make?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 03:30:19 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The Clipperblog one is funny.

So is the Denver trade.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 03:33:44 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
The Clipperblog one is funny.

So is the Denver trade.

Seriously.

KG for Javale?  C'mon.

The end of the Denver deal write up is hilarious "And if it doesn't work, Boston can be woeful, get lottery picks and trade McGee's expiring deal in three seasons for future building blocks."

LOL wow sounds appealing.  All that value coming back from the trade.  I like how he puts our team being dreadful in there at the end like it's a perk to the trade.  It's not like McGee is a bargain.  That's a joke.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 03:38:54 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 03:39:09 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
I don't understand, why would Chicago want anything to do with that deal? Are they so desperate for financial flexibility that they would consider this?

Taj Gibson is real solid, but Noah brings more. I don't get that idea for Chicago.

Similarly, why would SA want to move Leonard, who is essentially their answer to Kevin Durant for the next decade?  Splitter has proven to be a real commodity as well. Idle speculation indeed, my friend.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 03:41:30 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
IMO The best trades they can make are

LAC sends: Odom,Bledsoe,Jordan
Bos sends: KG, terry, Bass

OKC sends: Perk, Lamb, Perry Jones + tornto 1st
Bos sends: KG

Spurs send: Splitter , Leonard, Jackson(expiring)
Bos sends : KG and Terry

Might do the clippers and spurs trade, probably not the okc one since Toronto is playing better.

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 03:46:01 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

The Clippers trade is awful.

The Celtics do not need another small G as part of the rebuilding phase.

The Celtics do not need to overpay a guy just because he is 7 foot tall and has physical gifts (when he doesn't put them to great use)

And another backup SF?

I could sort of deal with the OKC deal because you could flip Perk for a shorter deal and another trade asset. 

I think the Spur trade replaces KG with a pair of good players that are going to be the cap choking deals when the team does not have it stars in place.

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 03:47:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't understand, why would Chicago want anything to do with that deal? Are they so desperate for financial flexibility that they would consider this?

Taj Gibson is real solid, but Noah brings more. I don't get that idea for Chicago.

Similarly, why would SA want to move Leonard, who is essentially their answer to Kevin Durant for the next decade?  Splitter has proven to be a real commodity as well. Idle speculation indeed, my friend.
Yeah the Chicago one struck me most of all as being wild.

Not surprised by it though given the source, not a fan of his work.

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 03:51:41 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Might do the clippers and spurs trade, probably not the okc one since Toronto is playing better.

I think OKC should consider keeping Perk and KG together with Ibaka. That's incredible defensiver personnel in the paint. Arguably the best post defender, pick and roll defender, and rim protector all on the same team.

Kevin Martin, Eric Maynor, and the Toronto pick
for
KG and Jason Terry

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=9wq5xap

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 03:53:49 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I could sort of deal with the OKC deal because you could flip Perk for a shorter deal and another trade asset. 

Plus, we have a full year before we have to do anything about Perkins contract. Assuming we keep Pierce on the books, we're capped out between Rondo, Pierce, Bass, and Green next season anyways.

If we were going to make a move in free agency, it wouldn't happen until 2014 or later. Almost certainly later.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 03:56:12 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Pau Gasol and Chris Duhon to the Bucks for Ersan Ilyasova, Beno Udrih, Tobias Harris, and Joel Przybilla.

The Pau Gasol trade idea with the Milwaukee Bucks is pretty interesting. It'd be better if Milwaukee kept hold of Tobias Harris and gave LA something else.

Pau Gasol and Larry Sanders would be an interesting big man combo.

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 03:56:58 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Armchair GM trade suggestions have just about worn out their welcome for me.  And when they come from pro writers, well, that just makes me laugh.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 03:57:18 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Plus, we have a full year before we have to do anything about Perkins contract. Assuming we keep Pierce on the books, we're capped out between Rondo, Pierce, Bass, and Green next season anyways.

If we were going to make a move in free agency, it wouldn't happen until 2014 or later. Almost certainly later.

I think Perkins being on the roster would be a MAJOR reason KG waived the No Trade Clause to go to OKC.

I think us taking on Martin and them replacing him with Jet is more feasible.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 04:00:18 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The only deal I don't do out of those is McGee to Boston. We would need first in that one. The Pierce deals on the other hand none are to my liking.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 04:06:37 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I love KG but the OKC deal is hard to say no to
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 04:10:28 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Armchair GM trade suggestions have just about worn out their welcome for me.  And when they come from pro writers, well, that just makes me laugh.
I love Armchair gm pieces.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19