Author Topic: ESPN's 5-on-5: What's the best Kevin Garnett trade the Celtics can make?  (Read 17664 times)

Re: ESPN's 5-on-5: What's the best Kevin Garnett trade the Celtics can make?
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 05:25:21 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
if this is the best that's out there, would rather stand pat.  all these ideas -- ALL of em -- make us worse & the other team much much better.

reality is, C's are just too deep to effectively 'tank'.  I mean, have you seen the likes of Sac, NO, Cha and Phx play?  no way we can out-crap those teams. 

When you already have such a solid & young core -- what's the point in completely starting over?  Go that route, and we'll watch Rondo leave too.

On the other hand, with KG and Pierce this year and next, Wyc still gets to sell playoff tickets and when they retire, we become THE destination for top free agents.  Much safer bet than David's ping pong balls... 

Think about it, who wouldn't want to play with a supporting cast of Rondo/Green + a couple pit-bull defenders in Lee and Bradley?  That's a perfect core for a 1st rate stud to come into.   

all this trade machine crap is simply fodder for the bored cubicle jockey, BSPN.com's vain attempt at fishing for web hits...

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 05:34:37 PM »

Offline Levis107

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 9
The best deal out of all those is the Spurs trade, but I don't think San Antonio does it. Leonard is Popovich's guy. I don't get the OKC deal. Perk is horrible and Jones and Lamb haven't proved anything. You'd basically be dealing for the draft pick.

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 05:37:44 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Thanks, I'd rather keep Garnett.

Why? For what?
Because 2 1/2 years of Kevin Garnett is better for the team than whatever that whatever that hodgepodge of injured and/or unproven players will be able to give you.

Give you what? A second-round exit?
Gives us a chance to be competitive each year. The trade with OKC gives us a round wad of nothing.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 05:38:04 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
if this is the best that's out there, would rather stand pat.  all these ideas -- ALL of em -- make us worse & the other team much much better.

Oh, thatīs great.

People make these outlandish, absolute statements, but as soon as someone posts a trade idea, the same people call him an armchair GM.

Youīre all acting like Theo Huxtable, trying to argue your way out of the realities of life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFY0HBkUm8o
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 05:39:11 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

Why? For what?
Because 2 1/2 years of Kevin Garnett is better for the team than whatever that whatever that hodgepodge of injured and/or unproven players will be able to give you.

Gives us a chance to be competitive each year. The trade with OKC gives us a round wad of nothing.

We havenīt won a title in 5 years, in other words, half a decade. That ship has sailed a long time ago.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 05:39:33 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Now, the premsise of the article is speculation on loose rumors. There is no news here, and there are no solid leads. This is speculation only, and idle speculation at that (I'm assuming idle speculation is the worst).

Israel Gutierrez, ESPN.com: Garnett and Fab Melo to Chicago for Joakim Noah and Marco Belinelli. No trade at all is their best bet. The Celtics are unlikely to get anything close to equal value for Garnett, who's so vital to what Boston does and fits in so well with Rajon Rondo. And if there's any indication he won't play out the final two years of his deal, that's even less leverage for the Celtics. But if -- and this is a huge if -- they can get something significant for KG, I'd do this deal.

Andrew Han, ClipperBlog: Garnett, Avery Bradley to the Clippers for Eric Bledsoe, DeAndre Jordan and Trey Thompkins. Garnett's no-trade clause limits the Celtics' options mostly to Los Angeles; he owns a home in Malibu and is godfather to Chauncey Billups' daughter. Boston gets back a coveted player/athlete and turns one of their off-ball guards into a point guard, suddenly a position of need. Add an intriguing prospect in Thompkins and an athletic center in Jordan and the Celtics get young in a hurry.

Curtis Harris, Hardwood Paroxysm: Kevin Garnett to Nuggets for JaVale McGee. Going to Denver keeps KG on a playoff team that needs his defensive prowess in the interior. Meanwhile, Boston would get McGee, who may still blossom into a competent defensive force in his own right. And if it doesn't work, Boston can be woeful, get lottery picks and trade McGee's expiring deal in three seasons for future building blocks.

Sean Highkin, Portland Roundball Soc.: Kevin Garnett to the Thunder for Kendrick Perkins, Jeremy Lamb, Perry Jones III and Toronto's lottery-guaranteed first-rounder. Taking back Perkins' contract isn't ideal, but the Celtics load up on cheap, controllable, high-upside rookies and get a pick that could potentially be very high. From the Thunder's perspective, upgrading from Perk to KG would make it hard not to be considered title favorites.

Jack Winter, WarriorsWorld: Garnett and Fab Melo to the Spurs for Kawhi Leonard, Tiago Splitter and Boris Diaw. Leonard is one of the league's true blue-chip prospects, a great athlete with elite defensive potential, and Splitter has value, too. A small-picture view like this is against the Spurs' very fabric as an organization, but Garnett and Tim Duncan on the same frontline? If there was ever a reason to swing for the fences, this might be it.

I'd put in a kidney if the thunder sent back Perkins, Lamb, Jones, and the Toronto pick.

I'd be willing to add to that donation as well.

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2013, 05:42:38 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Most of the trades that have a chance of actually happening don't involve young blue chip players.

But Roy, this thread started with names like Joakim Noah, Eric Bledsoe, Deandre Jordan, and Kawhi Leonard!

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 05:43:53 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The best Kevin Garnett trade is that he retires at the end of next season after winning another title and, as a final gift to the Celtics, is traded in July in a pure salary dump as another team sends a useful but slightly overpaid player(s) making $8-10m that it doesn't want to pay in exchange for the ability to waive KG while the final season of his contract is only half guaranteed and throwing in a young player and/or draft pick for that privilege.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 05:45:38 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
If we're looking to stay competitive, Chicago's deal is a no-brainer.  Noah is a great defender and underrated offensive player, and Bellinini can really shoot the ball.

OKC's deal look attractive on paper, but I'm not so sure I would do it.  The Raptors are improving, so we might get a pick that isn't so far from our own.  Plus, both Lamb and Jones III have questionable motors (at least they did coming out of college) so we don't know if they pan out or not.  You can't forget that Perk is cooked and overpaid.

The other proposals suck.

Edit: Never mind.  I didn't see that we get Kawhi from San Antonio.  That's really tempting.

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2013, 05:53:32 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Why? For what?

We havenīt won a title in 5 years, in other words, half a decade. That ship has sailed a long time ago.
Right. We've only been to the finals, and to a couple of EC finals. Peanuts.

If you can please explain how trading Garnett for the calcified remains of the player that was once Kendrick Perkins and a pile of, well, garbage helps us in the long or short term, be my guest.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2013, 05:57:05 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Why? For what?

I'm with you..I don't get the point of holding onto KG and pp just because. You stay just good enough to not get in the lottery but too bad to win anything? The worst place you can be in the nba.

I'm not saying you give these guys away but it baffles me when people say let them sink with the ship..stubborn pride.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 06:02:07 PM by BleedGreen1989 »
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2013, 05:58:25 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Gives us a chance to be competitive each year.

And makes the inevitable rebuilding process just a little bit harder for every year older KG gets, all for a team that was under .500 halfway through the season with both KG, Rondo and Sully healthy.

Mike

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2013, 06:04:47 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Gives us a chance to be competitive each year.

And makes the inevitable rebuilding process just a little bit harder for every year older KG gets, all for a team that was under .500 halfway through the season with both KG, Rondo and Sully healthy.
No, it doesn't. The trade with OKC (which I am specifically discussing here) does not put you any closer to rebuilding that holding on to Garnett does.

I'm all for rebuilding. But if your idea of "inevitable rebuilding process" is Perkins (paid a ton of money for the same amount of years as Garnett), Jeremy Lamb (who hasn't even shown he's an NBA player), and PJIII (who was red-flagged for his knee) then I'm just going to laugh at you.

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2013, 06:09:11 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Youīre all acting like Theo Huxtable, trying to argue your way out of the realities of life.

What was that about outlandish, absolute statements?

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
What I find outlandish is the notion that getting worse guarantee's you'll eventually get a banner. 

Reality is there isn't a good deal for KG or PP out there.  If there was, Danny would make it.