Author Topic: why doesn't wilcox get more minutes and responsibilities?  (Read 1079 times)

why doesn't wilcox get more minutes and responsibilities?
« on: February 04, 2013, 03:05:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Every game i've seen him , he has been more productive than making mistakes or getting beaten easily by the man he is guarding.

Now that Sully is down everyone talks about needing someone who can rebound etc. But what about wilcox? If he were a FA right now, wouldn't he be a very good pickup??

Is he still not 100 percent healthy? is he not allowed to play more than 10 minutes a game? What does he do or not do that is not a good idea for him to be on the court for a long stretch??

Collins did a good job yesterday, but its puzzling how this guy only got 4 minutes to play.

Re: why doesn't wilcox get more minutes and responsibilities?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 03:19:48 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
No clue, but Doc is infatuated with Collins. I don't think there's much chance of Collins not being our 3rd big off the bench without acquiring a new player.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 03:21:30 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Hasn't worked himself back to a position they feel comfortable with him out there? 

Emergency big at the moment.

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 03:25:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
No clue, but Doc is infatuated with Collins. I don't think there's much chance of Collins not being our 3rd big off the bench without acquiring a new player.

your right. Maybe Wilcox doesn't really care in practices while collins goes full out. Collins for a guy with such limited skills has been in the nba a very long time. He has over 37 million dollars in earnings. I've been happy with his effort so far.  Yesterday he neutralized both Jordan and Griffin pretty good

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 03:29:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Poor defense both in team and man-to-man and poor rebounding. Combine that with working his way back from injury and you get spotty minutes.

Doc also is trying to protect him from bad matchups. For example against the Clippers Doc put him in against the PF/C combo of Turiaf/Odom. The Clippers went small in the second half, they only played Jordan for the start of the third and after that it was all Griffin/Odom with even a stretch of Matt Barnes at the 4.

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 03:30:06 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300

your right. Maybe Wilcox doesn't really care in practices while collins goes full out. Collins for a guy with such limited skills has been in the nba a very long time. He has over 37 million dollars in earnings. I've been happy with his effort so far.  Yesterday he neutralized both Jordan and Griffin pretty good

We'll begin to see Wilcox out there more and more as we go along.  Remember, before he went down to injury in mid December he had been averaging about 15 minutes per game - meanwhile, Collins was playing virtually zero minutes UNTIL the night Wilcox went down.

It's a trust thing.  Wilcox had missed 20 games - and a lot has happened in that time frame with this team.  Sunday was only his 4th game back, Doc will ease him back up over 10 in the near future.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 04:28:44 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Mostly because he's a one-trick pony.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 04:55:57 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
There's actually an article on this very topic today.  See below:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4701981/spotty-wilcox-seeks-consistency

He’s spotty. We want him to be more consistent," said Rivers. "We talk about guys doing their job. He has really one great job he has to do: he has to be our defensive energy guy, and then on offense he has to run the floor. He has to do that consistently and I don’t think he does that yet, but I think he’s gotten better in practices each time and definitely in the games."

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 05:00:42 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
We're wiinning due to our defense, which Collins is better at.
Notice that since Wilcox came back 4 games ago, we are undefeated
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"