Author Topic: When does AB become an impact player?  (Read 5856 times)

When does AB become an impact player?
« on: February 03, 2013, 09:54:46 PM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
love AB, his defense, his energy and his intensity...and...at the same time...he has gotten a pass...especially at celtic blog...where green, bass, terry, lee and even rondo and pierce have gone under the hot, vitriolic and scathing knife that is celtic blog...so beside defense where does AB make his mark and become an impact player...which i think he will and i hope he will...he avg's 1.5 reb/gm and 1.0 assts/gm while shooting 34.6% from 3-pt land for his career...so...that really only leaves scoring/slashing...he is taking 8.5 shots per game while shooting a low 40.2%...i think he will need to take and make more shots to become an impact player...but...shots will be hard to come by with terry, lee and barbosa...interesting note...barbosa took 10 shots today...2nd to pierce...not complaining...so..do the celtics need to call ab's number more...or...run more?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 10:01:01 PM by rutzan »

Re: When does AB become an impact player?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 10:18:04 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
You don't need every player to score.  Two guys can be defensive guys and the other three run the offense.  He hits the corner three well enough that you can't just leave him.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 07:12:17 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
His job is to make an impact on defense and be respectable on offense. 

He has recently come back from injury. 

He has space for growth. 

As far as I can see, he is playing the role that he is capable and asked to play.

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:20:30 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Defensively, he is an impact player.

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 07:30:09 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
He already is an impact player on D.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 07:41:30 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm pretty sure Bradley won't become considerably "more impact" than he is already.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 07:43:15 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I reject your premise.  He's already making a pretty large impact.

He's a role player, sure, but one that is vital to the success of this team moving forward.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 07:43:58 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
He's a Tony Allen with less defensive upside and better shooting motion. Quality rotation player at worst and at best, so, he's an impact player probably.

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 08:30:15 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
love AB, his defense, his energy and his intensity...and...at the same time...he has gotten a pass...especially at celtic blog...where green, bass, terry, lee and even rondo and pierce have gone under the hot, vitriolic and scathing knife that is celtic blog...so beside defense where does AB make his mark and become an impact player...which i think he will and i hope he will...he avg's 1.5 reb/gm and 1.0 assts/gm while shooting 34.6% from 3-pt land for his career...so...that really only leaves scoring/slashing...he is taking 8.5 shots per game while shooting a low 40.2%...i think he will need to take and make more shots to become an impact player...but...shots will be hard to come by with terry, lee and barbosa...interesting note...barbosa took 10 shots today...2nd to pierce...not complaining...so..do the celtics need to call ab's number more...or...run more?

The dude just turned 22 this season and is just now back playing after about as long an injury break as Green had.  (E.g., he's been back for 16 games now and has shot .379 from the 3 over the past 10 of those games.)  Sure, his shooting numbers are down right now, but he had great averages last year (.498 FG% and .407 3PT%) in his first real year playing in the NBA.

I don't expect him to ever be a team's first or second offensive option, but already at age 21 he was a very efficient shooter for a guard.

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 08:32:29 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
He's a Tony Allen with less defensive upside and better shooting motion. Quality rotation player at worst and at best, so, he's an impact player probably.

Less defensive upside?  I can't really agree with that.  Are you basing that just on the fact that he's an inch or two shorter than TA?  Bradley is a much smarter player, for starters.  I think it's fair to say his upside is better on both ends of the floor.

I think Bradley's ceiling is as the best guard defender in the game with an offensive game pretty similar to Courtney Lee -- 12-14 pts a night on 45 / 40 / 80 shooting.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 08:42:09 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Uhhhhh he's made an impact...his late game d on Jamal Crawford was key just yesterday. At the same time he will miss rondo probably more than anybody on offense

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 08:50:43 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
He's already an impact player on defense.

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 08:51:12 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Less defensive upside?  I can't really agree with that.  Are you basing that just on the fact that he's an inch or two shorter than TA?  Bradley is a much smarter player, for starters.  I think it's fair to say his upside is better on both ends of the floor.

I think Bradley's ceiling is as the best guard defender in the game with an offensive game pretty similar to Courtney Lee -- 12-14 pts a night on 45 / 40 / 80 shooting.

The advantage Allen has over Bradley is versatility. Avery's a very good defender but Tony's bigger and stronger and can cover more players effectively.

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 08:54:49 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

The advantage Allen has over Bradley is versatility. Avery's a very good defender but Tony's bigger and stronger and can cover more players effectively.

Yeah, I get that.  TA can perhaps cover 3 positions (both guard spots and SF) while Avery can really only cover guards. 

But I don't think that's the same as saying that Bradley doesn't have more "upside" than TA, even defensively.  TA is a very good defender, but he doesn't change the game the way that Bradley does.  Bradley seems to have an almost KG-like effect on team defense.  I don't remember TA ever doing that.

Also you can't underestimate the importance of the fact that Bradley is a smart basketball player; nobody has ever accused TA of being particularly smart (on the court).
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 09:04:43 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Yeah, I get that.  TA can perhaps cover 3 positions (both guard spots and SF) while Avery can really only cover guards. 

But I don't think that's the same as saying that Bradley doesn't have more "upside" than TA, even defensively.  TA is a very good defender, but he doesn't change the game the way that Bradley does.  Bradley seems to have an almost KG-like effect on team defense.  I don't remember TA ever doing that.

Also you can't underestimate the importance of the fact that Bradley is a smart basketball player; nobody has ever accused TA of being particularly smart (on the court).

I remember the 2010 playoffs where TA made a big defensive impact against the Heat by guarding Wade, the Cavs by guarding James and the Lakers by guarding Kobe. Bradley generally doesn't guard whoever the best scorer is on the other team, he guards the pg.