Author Topic: If you can only keep one, is it Pierce or Garnett?  (Read 2265 times)

If you can only keep one, is it Pierce or Garnett?
« on: February 03, 2013, 04:58:40 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I find this debate somewhat fascinating. Forget contracts or any of the numbers. Throw out what you could get for them in a trade.  Just based on who they are and what they bring who do you keep?

It pains me to say a little but I think Id have to go with KG. I feel his intangibles are just far too valuable to trade.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: If you can only keep one, is it Pierce or Garnett?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 05:07:29 PM »

Offline Arok325

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 16
You trade Garnett and keep Pierce. Pierce means more to the franchise and fans. He's a career Celtic and those types of players are rare these days. Plus, Pierce is younger and still playing at a higher level.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 05:08:28 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I don't see the point in keeping one but not the other.  If you're going to trade one, that means you're blowing it up; if you're blowing it up, don't just do it halfway. 

Trade neither, or trade both.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 05:14:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Agreed.  I vote "trade neither".

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 05:16:57 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I keep KG
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I don't see the point in keeping one but not the other.  If you're going to trade one, that means you're blowing it up; if you're blowing it up, don't just do it halfway. 

Lock the thread. This is the correct answer. 

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 05:19:29 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.

You can keep Pierce for sentimental/leadership reasons, I guess.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 05:21:25 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Agreed.  I vote "trade neither".

Honestly, that would be my vote too. I was just curious to see who fans would pick if forced to choose one? (I understand its not very practical)
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't think there is any talent of talent trade where Danny Ainge can trade KG and upgrade the team. So I definitely keep KG unless blowing up the team in which case I trade both Paul Pierce and Garnett (plus the highly paid role players).

There may be a "non-blow it up" Paul Pierce trade available that makes sense. Rudy Gay is off the market but Pau Gasol is still available. Danny Granger may be a possibility. Pau Gasol could arguably improve the team. Big upgrade to interior play plus Jeff Green can take a larger role. Danny Granger would be a small downgrade but has more years in front of him than Pierce does and improves Boston further down the line.

Outside of those Paul Pierce possibilities, I agree with the "trade them both or trade neither of them" viewpoint.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 05:26:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
My preference is to deal Bass/Terry but Terry has been a little better lately and Bass did play ok today.   I don't like the idea of trading PP at all.  KG, I am not as attached to I still find it unpleasant.

If we get the real deals you have to look at them.   I don't see us going deep in the playoffs.   

I think the trade about KG for clips was ridiculous, they'd have no guards so I think that one was a rumor.

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 05:37:42 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I can't really see Pierce playing for any other team.  I don't think there's any way the team deals him, unless he specifically requests it.

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 08:20:37 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I find this debate somewhat fascinating. Forget contracts or any of the numbers. Throw out what you could get for them in a trade.  Just based on who they are and what they bring who do you keep?

It pains me to say a little but I think Id have to go with KG. I feel his intangibles are just far too valuable to trade.

KG and it is not even close.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 08:22:50 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Probably KG just so he can add extra years to his Celtics legacy. Plus he is the culture of the team.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 08:29:13 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956

Agree with this for sure.

But if I HAD to choose one to trade, it would have to be KG.  Man that's painful to say 'cause KG is a once in a generation type of player when you put his skill, locker room influence/leadership ability, and tenacity together.  Easily my second favorite player of all time.

But Pierce is a true Celtic.  A Celtic legend.  I'm rollin' with my main man Pierce to the bitter end.

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 08:29:46 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The OP is if you can only keep one, so to say both is kind of missing the point.  Assume a team offered a good young player a decent role player with some salary, plus a good draft pick and then said we will make the deal for either Pierce or KG, you pick, and also assume that the other retires at the end of the season.

I would send out KG, not for basketball reasons but PP played his whole career here so for him to retire here would mean more.