Author Topic: I change my mind. We are still a threat in the playoffs.  (Read 11970 times)

Re: I change my mind. We are still a threat in the playoffs.
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 03:58:36 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Before Rondo and Sully went down, this team was a threat to give anyone a serious series, but not likely to come out of the East.

Now, they are at most an irritating out.  I wouldn't want to play the C's in the 1st round if I were the Heat -- only because they'll need to expend some energy.  I can see the C's playing the Heat close in a number of games  but can't see winning more than a game.  Same with Chicago.

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 04:01:23 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Before Rondo and Sully went down, this team was a threat to give anyone a serious series, but not likely to come out of the East.

Now, they are at most an irritating out.  I wouldn't want to play the C's in the 1st round if I were the Heat -- only because they'll need to expend some energy.  I can see the C's playing the Heat close in a number of games  but can't see winning more than a game.  Same with Chicago.

I'd like the C's to play the Knicks. I think they can beat them even without Rondo and Sully.

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 04:01:38 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
What were you right about? I'm happy with the 4 game winning streak too but lets not act like we weren't just on a 6 game winning streak not long ago just to turn around and lose 6 straight.
[/quote]

I was just referring to the fact that I thought and still think we play better without Rondo, that's all.

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 04:03:04 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
What were you right about? I'm happy with the 4 game winning streak too but lets not act like we weren't just on a 6 game winning streak not long ago just to turn around and lose 6 straight.
[/b]

I was just referring to the fact that I thought and still think we play better without Rondo, that's all.
[/quote]

Oh ok

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 04:04:05 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Just quickly looking at past Finals MVPs...

Lebron, Dirk, Kobe, Kobe, Pierce, Parker, Wade, Duncan, Billups, Duncan, Shaq, Shaq, Shaq, Duncan, Jordan, Jordan, Jordan, Hakeem, Hakeem, Jordan, Jordan, Jordan.

I believe you need stars.

All of those teams had a legit closer; at their time, one of the best in the league. Pierce is one of the best closers in the league right now (plus we have Terry).

Also, all those teams had great defense, like we do right now.

Stars are needed. Talent is needed. I'm sorry I disagree with you to no end. lol

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 04:04:16 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Agreed. We are just as good as NY, Indiana, Brooklyn, Milwaukee, and Atlanta when we play balanced ball.

I don't think we are as good as a healthy Bull's team. And the presence of LeBron James gives the heat the advantage over everyone in the east.

If some how we could stay away from the Bulls and Heat until the ECF then I think we can be in a position to make some noise and a run.

This is the most balance I have seen our team display.

I agree. Chicago actually scares me more than Miami. We know we can at the very least give Miami a series. For some reason, I just want no part of Chicago because of their size, defense and jump shooting.

And imagine if they get back a healthy, effective D-Rose.

If we can catch another break last year and if another team in the East can knock Chicago, then we could go really deep in the playoffs.

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 04:05:19 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
[/b]

Oh ok
[/quote]

But you are right. Nothing is settled yet. I just hope Danny doesn't trade away all our good players for the "future." I hope our guys get one more chance at a title.

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 04:08:22 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Just quickly looking at past Finals MVPs...

Lebron, Dirk, Kobe, Kobe, Pierce, Parker, Wade, Duncan, Billups, Duncan, Shaq, Shaq, Shaq, Duncan, Jordan, Jordan, Jordan, Hakeem, Hakeem, Jordan, Jordan, Jordan.

I believe you need stars.

Present day Pierce MIGHT be close in talent to Billups when he was Finals MVP.

Unfortunately, we have no Ben Wallace (I would compare KG to Sheed).

Also: The top level teams in today's NBA are way better than when Detroit won in 2004.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 04:11:41 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
[/b]

[/quote]

oh no doubt so far with our guards and ball movement. why can we not get that when rondo is in? at any rate i still think we are a ticking time bomb without the boards from sully. we HAVE to get a big man or two. we needed one before sully got hurt. now we really are in deep need. too much on KG and Bass. wilcox? LOL. collins? sigh. 
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 04:15:08 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
We play Miami, New York, Chicago, Indiana, Brooklyn, and Philly 10 more times before the season is over.  If we can go 8-2 in those games, I'll agree with you.

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 04:16:34 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney

This

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2013, 04:17:14 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I agree because, in my mind, that's what the best of fans do. They never give up hope. Even when you know there's no chance, you still hope... and find reasons to believe you can somehow pull it off...

I don't understand how others comment, every single day, over and over, that we have no chance. Rationality says we don't have a chance. But this is a blog of fans. We wanna win. So, to the naysayers: find some way to rationalize reasons we can win, to yourself, to make the ride more fun. Or just pleaseee stop sharing your negativity every single day. 

Maybe we should just punt down the middle and agree to stop speculating for a few weeks.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 04:20:03 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
I agree because, in my mind, that's what the best of fans do. They never give up hope. Even when you know there's no chance, you still hope... and find reasons to believe you can somehow pull it off...

I don't understand how others comment, every single day, over and over, that we have no chance. Rationality says we don't have a chance. But this is a blog of fans. We wanna win. So, to the naysayers: find some way to rationalize reasons we can win, to yourself, to make the ride more fun. Or just pleaseee stop sharing your negativity every single day. 

Maybe we should just punt down the middle and agree to stop speculating for a few weeks.

There is nothing wrong with fans who don't view things with green goggles on. I'm a fan and admitted homer, but at some point you have to be realistic.

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2013, 04:22:28 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

There is nothing wrong with fans who don't view things with green goggles on. I'm a fan and admitted homer, but at some point you have to be realistic.

The problem with being negative is the assumption that it's automatically considered realistic.

An inaccurate assessment whether positive or negative, is not realistic.

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2013, 04:23:51 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Its easy to look good when teams aren't playing any defense against you.  Once teams start looking at film and focusing on ways to shut these guys down, their half court offense weaknesses will become very apparent. 

That all said, I like they way they've been playing.