Author Topic: I change my mind. We are still a threat in the playoffs.  (Read 12062 times)

Re: I change my mind. We are still a threat in the playoffs.
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2013, 08:51:05 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Let me elaborate on my last post. A championship team needs at least 2-3 legitimate stars to be serious contenders and have a shot at a title. Go back and look at history.

I agree the best team will win a 7 game series. That being said who has the best 10-12 guys is irrelevant. Once the playoffs start it will be your best 7-8 guys vs the other teams.

Keep in mind as good as we were in 2008 it took a superstar like performance from pierce to get past the cavs. It took him going point for point against lebron to survive that game 7. If pierce has a bad game we lose. I could go on and on but you get my point. Stars win championships not role players.

Dallas two seasons ago?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2013, 08:55:58 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Let me elaborate on my last post. A championship team needs at least 2-3 legitimate stars to be serious contenders and have a shot at a title. Go back and look at history.

I agree the best team will win a 7 game series. That being said who has the best 10-12 guys is irrelevant. Once the playoffs start it will be your best 7-8 guys vs the other teams.

Keep in mind as good as we were in 2008 it took a superstar like performance from pierce to get past the cavs. It took him going point for point against lebron to survive that game 7. If pierce has a bad game we lose. I could go on and on but you get my point. Stars win championships not role players.

Dallas two seasons ago?

Tbh, you need minimum one, and Pierce can still fit in that mold in the playoffs.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2013, 09:01:34 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Everyone on this blog is so certain of what a team needs to be a contender, I'm amazed that you aren't all filthily wealthy from being able to predict the champions every season and betting all your money on that team.

Let's be real.  There are many luxuries that teams would love to have going into the playoffs.  And there are many weaknesses that teams would love to plug before the playoffs.  But teams have still won titles without some of those luxuries.  Teams have still won titles despite having very specific and known weaknesses.

This pistons beat the lakers on 2004.  The warriors beat the mavs in 2007.  The knicks beat the heat in 1999.  The mavs beat the heat in 2010.  Upsets happen in the NBA that you would not normally expect, the outcomes aren't as predictable as people think they oughtta be.  For a team to win a title, things just have to come together and go right.  The celtics have a lot of talent on this roster.

If the celtics take a 1 game at a time approach, I think anything is possible.  Is there any one single game that if the celtics are going into, you can say definitively that the celtics have no chance to win?  If not, then anything is possible.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur