Author Topic: I change my mind. We are still a threat in the playoffs.  (Read 11974 times)

Re: I change my mind. We are still a threat in the playoffs.
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2013, 04:26:11 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I agree because, in my mind, that's what the best of fans do. They never give up hope. Even when you know there's no chance, you still hope... and find reasons to believe you can somehow pull it off...

I don't understand how others comment, every single day, over and over, that we have no chance. Rationality says we don't have a chance. But this is a blog of fans. We wanna win. So, to the naysayers: find some way to rationalize reasons we can win, to yourself, to make the ride more fun. Or just pleaseee stop sharing your negativity every single day. 

Maybe we should just punt down the middle and agree to stop speculating for a few weeks.

There is nothing wrong with fans who don't view things with green goggles on. I'm a fan and admitted homer, but at some point you have to be realistic.

The problem with being negative is that the assumption that it's automatically considered realistic.

An inaccurate assessment whether positive or negative, is not realistic.

Well when I look at the history of the NBA, how title teams have looked, and how we look. I think fans who don't consider us contenders is perfectly realistic.

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2013, 04:26:22 PM »

Offline anthony83

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
If the team gets into playoffs,that's when we will miss Rondo I think, when the defenses are closed.
By the way,anyone know how the Celtics were last year at this time?,now we're 24-23, last year?
My opinion is that we need a big man to help KG clearly,and then one more player to complete the roster.
I do not know who will be traded,Bass,Lee,Pierce(would be a crime) depending on this, we will see the final roster.

Twitter: @Theanswer83

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2013, 04:26:52 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Just quickly looking at past Finals MVPs...

Lebron, Dirk, Kobe, Kobe, Pierce, Parker, Wade, Duncan, Billups, Duncan, Shaq, Shaq, Shaq, Duncan, Jordan, Jordan, Jordan, Hakeem, Hakeem, Jordan, Jordan, Jordan.

I believe you need stars.

Present day Pierce MIGHT be close in talent to Billups when he was Finals MVP.

Unfortunately, we have no Ben Wallace (I would compare KG to Sheed).

Also: The top level teams in today's NBA are way better than when Detroit won in 2004.

Disagree about that Detroit team.  They played incredible team ball on offense, stifling defense, and easily beat a team with prime Kobe and late prime Shaq.  They should have won more titles, but they got kind of arrogant...or lazy or I don't know.  I blame Sheed and Richard Hamilton.

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2013, 04:28:27 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I agree because, in my mind, that's what the best of fans do. They never give up hope. Even when you know there's no chance, you still hope... and find reasons to believe you can somehow pull it off...

I don't understand how others comment, every single day, over and over, that we have no chance. Rationality says we don't have a chance. But this is a blog of fans. We wanna win. So, to the naysayers: find some way to rationalize reasons we can win, to yourself, to make the ride more fun. Or just pleaseee stop sharing your negativity every single day. 

Maybe we should just punt down the middle and agree to stop speculating for a few weeks.

There is nothing wrong with fans who don't view things with green goggles on. I'm a fan and admitted homer, but at some point you have to be realistic.

The problem with being negative is the assumption that it's automatically considered realistic.

I'll agree with this.  The vast majority of posts are simply opinion.  Opinion is nothing more than an individual's perception.  Perception always seems "real" in the eye of the beholder.

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2013, 04:29:59 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

The problem with being negative is that the assumption that it's automatically considered realistic.

Well when I look at the history of the NBA, how title teams have looked, and how we look. I think fans who don't consider us contenders is perfectly realistic.

"Contenders" is the most overused and nonsensical label in sports analysis.

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2013, 04:30:13 PM »

Offline cletus1985

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 408
Honestly if we can get into the 6th or 7th seed and Chicago ends up as the 4th seed i could see us making it through Brooklyn and New York to get to the ECF and then we take our chances in either Chicago or Miami after they get done with their dogfight. Alot of pieces have to fall in place for that to happen, but it's not an unrealistic scenario.

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2013, 04:32:58 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Lebron, Dirk, Kobe, Kobe, Pierce, Parker, Wade, Duncan, Billups, Duncan, Shaq, Shaq, Shaq, Duncan, Jordan, Jordan, Jordan, Hakeem, Hakeem, Jordan, Jordan, Jordan.

Present day Pierce MIGHT be close in talent to Billups when he was Finals MVP.

Unfortunately, we have no Ben Wallace (I would compare KG to Sheed).

Also: The top level teams in today's NBA are way better than when Detroit won in 2004.

Disagree about that Detroit team.  They played incredible team ball on offense, stifling defense, and easily beat a team with prime Kobe and late prime Shaq.  They should have won more titles, but they got kind of arrogant...or lazy or I don't know.  I blame Sheed and Richard Hamilton.

Except that Lakers team was really only talented on paper.  2004 was the hiegth of their disfunction.  Shaq and Kobe hated each other.

I'd say Minny was probably the best team in the West that year.  KG's 2004 season might have been the best individual season any player has ever had.  Had it not been for injuries, I suspect Minny would have won it all that year, and they were basically KG and a bunch of role players.

Detroit was good, and one of the few example of a team being greater than the sum of its parts.  Overall, they weren't really that good.  The East was just that terrible.

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2013, 04:48:17 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Also to the OP you seem like one of those people that changes your mind easily and often. If we lose 3 in a row will you stick by what you said in this thread? I doubt it.

I thought we were still a threat in the playoffs up until Rondo got injured, despite our record.

I believed that playoff Rondo was a vital part of our future playoff run (I still think so). But now, I also believe that this team is still dangerous even without playoff Rondo.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
At least there is one who has come to join us on the optimistic side. Now come on who is going to follow? Great win for the C's today.

I don't understand this team... 6 win streak, 6 loss streak, 4 wins now and counting... im really at a loss of what the best course of action is with this team

Cant be making Danny's job easy at all.

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2013, 04:53:20 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

All of those guys except for Billups are superstars and not simply all-stars. Rondo is not a superstar and never will be. Rondo cannot be the best player on a championship team.

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2013, 05:19:42 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't understand how others comment, every single day, over and over, that we have no chance. Rationality says we don't have a chance.

People don't understand that there is a difference between "no chance" and "a small chance".  Maybe it is the influence of ESPN talking heads, but a lot of people seem to talk about sports as if there is nothing between having no chance and being practically ordained, so that only freak injury or rigged officiating or a blatant choke job can prevent the predicted result.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2013, 06:10:35 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

All of those guys except for Billups are superstars and not simply all-stars. Rondo is not a superstar and never will be. Rondo cannot be the best player on a championship team.

He almost was. Look at the list above, Billups/PP/Dirk/Parker are all well below the level of those other players. Remember Rondo's younger than most of those players were before they started winning titles, he should be capable of playing at that level in a couple of years if he isn't now.

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2013, 06:47:36 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
C's are playing better , but we have played Sac, Orlando and Clippers without cp3, let's not get carried away.

I will always root for the c's to win, but just don't see the c's beating a healthy bulls team or Miami.

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2013, 06:50:58 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
C's are playing better , but we have played Sac, Orlando and Clippers without cp3, let's not get carried away.

I will always root for the c's to win, but just don't see the c's beating a healthy bulls team or Miami.

apart from the fact we already beat Miami...?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2013, 06:56:18 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

apart from the fact we already beat Miami...?

yes they beat them at home in the middle of January. They can probably take 2 against Miami in a 7 game series where Miami has home court .