Author Topic: Clippers have inquired about KG  (Read 26454 times)

Re: Clippers have inquired about KG
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2013, 11:10:54 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If you trade KG, you have to trade Pierce

How about

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b2xdfq8

With a 1st coming to Boston and a 1st coming to Cleveland (Boston gets the better of the two)

Boston sheds 14.9 million this season.  It puts them 1.4 million under the cap.  Buy out Odom (last year at 8 million) and the Celtics probably have enough to offer a two year deal to Oden. 

Find takers for Bass and Terry, the Celtics suddenly have young talent, cap space and extra 1sts to build a team around Rondo when he comes back. 

That's how Ainge did it the last time. 

Yes, I would find this a very hard pill to swallow. 

« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2013, 11:17:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

How about

With a 1st coming to Boston and a 1st coming to Cleveland (Boston gets the better of the two)

Boston sheds 14.9 million this season.  It puts them 1.4 million under the cap.  Buy out Odom (last year at 8 million) and the Celtics probably have enough to offer a two year deal to Oden. 

Find takers for Bass and Terry, the Celtics suddenly have young talent, cap space and extra 1sts to build a team around Rondo when he comes back. 

Utah never makes that trade. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2013, 11:21:12 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

How about

Not convinced they have to be in the same trade.

« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2013, 11:22:22 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

How about

Utah never makes that trade.

Why?

They improve their lineup

Bledseo
Lee
Pierce
Millsap
Jefferson

with a bench of
Foye'
Carrol
Marvin Williams
Kantor. 

That team can contend. 

« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2013, 11:22:50 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

How about

Of course not.  Just more fun to play with. 

« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2013, 11:24:51 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

How about

Probably the only way Kg waives the No Trade Clause.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2013, 11:25:53 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
Maybe something like this?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bbygklr

The Jazz arent trading Favors. And thats a terrible return for Lee and KG.

The Jazz are looking to trade Milsap or Jefferson to open up the room to play Favors. Both have expiring deals and the Jazz arent going to resign them.

If KG is going to be traded, this is one of the best [realistic] returns I've seen anyone cook up. Favors (and his contract) is on par with the PF equivalent of Bledsoe. I think that the Jazz would have to consider taking a deal like this and then re-signing Milsap as an alternative to building around Favors.

Bledsoe/Hayward/Kanter / Millsap  is a heck of a foundation. Millsap is only 26/27 he's got 6-7 years of excellent play left. Plenty of time for that core to get good. meanwhile we get Favors and a nice third guard in Burks who can play excellent defense to help build towards the future and 8 million dollars off the book when Odom leaves next year.

« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2013, 11:26:09 AM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
Clippers fans who whine about DeAndre Jordan are total morons. They are blinded by the amazing production provided by Blake Griffin as a big, and compare the two. These fans simply aren't used to winning, easy to tell.

The more and more news that comes out on this, the more I'm thinking BOTH Pierce and KG are going to the Clippers.

If LAC decides that acquiring KG and/or PP is the move to put them over the top to "WIN NOW" (the most valued concept in any pro-sports next to "MAKE MONEY"), then we have to take full advantage of them showing their cards so to speak.

The future in Boston can use younger prospects like Jordan and Bledsoe. Bledsoe is the perfect backup to Rondo, or either Rondo/Bledsoe can be included in an offseason trade.

Jordan would be a more than solid starting center, especially in the EC.

I think we could pry both of these guys in a deal AND dump the salary of either Bass or Terry, freeing up even more cap space.

BOS Trades:

Pierce, KG, (Terry or Bass), Chris Wilcox

LAC Trades:

DeAndre Jordan, Eric Bledsoe, Lamar Odom (expiring), Caron Butler (shares minutes with Green at SF).......if the Clips are real in to the trade, we could get a 1st rounder or 2 out of them.

Chris Paul is a FA, and they need him to resign. Their current roster is finals worthy, but not a clear-cut championship team. Add Pierce and KG and that is changed instantly. KG would absolutely waive his clause to play for this kind of team, also having one of his best buds in Pierce going with him.

The Celtics need to learn from the Ray Allen deadline last season, that at the end of the day, a players loyalty is likely only as long as his contract. I would say both KG/Pierce are very loyal in general, but who's to stop them from retiring, leaving us with waaaay to much cap space, and not enough talent to attract the true competitors as FA's?

« Reply #143 on: February 04, 2013, 11:26:28 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

How about

Probably the only way Kg waives the No Trade Clause.

Not if you traded Paul first in another trade.

« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2013, 11:30:11 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Anyone who would trade the legendary kg for a garbage package of Bledsoe and butler has some issues...this shouldn't even be a debate...yeah let's officially become a bad franchise again for that package? Right...wouldn't do it for Jordan either...sorry

« Reply #145 on: February 04, 2013, 11:33:44 AM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
We held on to The Original Big Three too long, and we lived through a solid decade of horror. This also included the tragedies of both Bias and Lewis. Everyone who is doubting this kind of move is not looking at it from a business perspective.

« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2013, 11:38:56 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Anyone who would trade the legendary kg for a garbage package of Bledsoe and butler has some issues...this shouldn't even be a debate...yeah let's officially become a bad franchise again for that package? Right...wouldn't do it for Jordan either...sorry

Consider the 'hindsight' perspective.  Imagine you are in June, 2014 and watching KG's retirment ceremony.  The last 2 years have been mediocre (7/8 seed; 1st round out) and KG (insert Pierce too) is now retiring as a Celtic.  Will you wish you had traded him (them) for something?   

Maybe Bledsoe/Butler isn't enough, maybe Bledsoe/Jordan isn't enough. Anyway, Danny should keep the door open -- perhaps more appealing offers will present themselves.

« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2013, 11:41:14 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

How about

Of course not.  Just more fun to play with.

« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2013, 11:47:10 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm saying I don't understand why you think this is a "crazy pipe dream", given that it's an obviously poor trade for the Celtics. Garnett, on his last legs, is likely going to be better than any of those two players will be over the next two or three years.

So you're trading away the best player in the deal, and gaining no cap flexibility in the process. Not sure what the incentive is to do this deal

1.  Right now, KG still seems the best player in the deal, but we haven't gotten a chance to see what Bledsoe is like as a full-time starter.  If he produces even close to what he did against Boston, say 18 pts and 7 assists a game, he'd already be very close to KG's current level and has the chance to be even better.

2.  With his no-trade clause, KG's value in any future deal is automatically lower than either Jordan's or Bledsoe's.  KG really doesn't even have any value as an expiring deal unless he's willing to go to some team trying to unload a bad contract.

3.  Giving up the best player isn't a big deal when the whole point is that you're not concerned with winning this year.  Getting a shot at a top 3 lottery pick might be a better deal than holding onto the 8th playoff spot in the East.

4.  If we just hold onto KG until he retires, Boston gets nothing but cap space.  Unless you think a rebuilding Celtics team is suddenly going to become vastly more attractive to free agents than it ever has been in the past, players > cap space.

5.  Getting Bledsoe allows you to make a future trade of either him or Rondo for another player.

Ultimately, all that matters is what KG wants.  If he's willing to accept the trade, it would be crazy to pass on something like Bledsoe and Jordan.  Which gets you closer to another title?  2 to 3 years of a continually declining KG with a no-trade clause or 5 to 10 years of Bledsoe and Jordan?

Mike
The fact that Garnett's no-trade clause hurts his trade value isn't a reason to take 50 cents on the dollar for him. I find three years of Garnett more valuable than Jordan's Bird rights three years from now. Bledsoe expires even earlier than this, I think.

Also, the real pipe dream is that Bledsoe is an 18/7 player.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2013, 11:49:58 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
No way SAC gives up Cousins for Jordan. That is a significant downgrade in talent and a significant upgrade in salary. Maybe this: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=as8h9t6
That's a weird example of a trade in which it looks to me that everyone is committing a daylight robbery. Of course, there's zero chance it will happen, but well done.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."