Author Topic: Clippers have inquired about KG  (Read 26450 times)

Re: Clippers have inquired about KG
« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2013, 10:22:01 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't see the point unless there is a third team that wants Bledsoe and sends the Celtics a younger, talented big man to replace KG.
Yeah a three team trade would make sense.

Also if you've convinced KG to accept a trade that works for the C's, then you have to find a trade involving Paul.

« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2013, 10:24:12 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't see the point unless there is a third team that wants Bledsoe and sends the Celtics a younger, talented big man to replace KG.

Something like this?
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=babny4f

A man can dream...

edit: Messed up the trade initially.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:29:48 AM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2013, 10:27:33 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Something like this?
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bkqsf9u

A man can dream...

I like the dream.  Celtics get both Cousins and Bledsoe.

« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2013, 10:30:29 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Something like this?

A man can dream...

I messed up the trade in this link. Sacramento are supposed to get Jordan and send Brooks to the Clippers.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #124 on: February 04, 2013, 10:39:47 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Something like this?

A man can dream...

Utah Jazz?

« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2013, 10:40:17 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I think if there is a deal to be had for KG, it is Bledsoe and Odom's expiring contract.

I think that isn't enough. Adding KG to a roster puts a whole new face on the defense. Bledsoe, Odom and their 2014 1st rounder maybe. I'd rather have Bledsoe/Jordan and a 2nd rounder I think. KG is worth that even at this stage in his career. He plays so hard. I don't remember a game where he didn't have a significant impact (zero-rebound game aside, he had 19pts on 82% shooting in 23min. that night). You just can't say that about Bledsoe or Jordan. I have to believe GMs see that stuff too. 6 months of KG puts them far closer to a championship than 3-4 years of those other guys. And now I've convinced myself to keep KG :)

Something like this?

A man can dream...

I messed up the trade in this link. Sacramento are supposed to get Jordan and send Brooks to the Clippers.

No way SAC gives up Cousins for Jordan. That is a significant downgrade in talent and a significant upgrade in salary. Maybe this: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=as8h9t6

« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2013, 10:41:23 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Something like this?

A man can dream...

I know.

But I like the dream mistake even better. 

If we are going to dream, dream big.   :)

« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2013, 10:51:10 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2013, 10:58:23 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I'm saying I don't understand why you think this is a "crazy pipe dream", given that it's an obviously poor trade for the Celtics. Garnett, on his last legs, is likely going to be better than any of those two players will be over the next two or three years.

So you're trading away the best player in the deal, and gaining no cap flexibility in the process. Not sure what the incentive is to do this deal, let alone call it a "crazy pipe dream". The Clippers will pounce on this before you can say KG's favorite expletive, and probably even toss a first-rounder in the mix.

I see. Well, you probably know the counter-arguments to this. Garnett may retire or may deteriorate rapidly. Bledsoe and Jordan may have all-star potential. Get younger, etc.

I personally think Jordan may earn his money over the course of the next three years, but I don't see him turning into the next Dwight Howard.

The reason I thought it was a pipe dream is that I don't think the Clippers will offer it. Those are two of their three best assets.

« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2013, 11:01:33 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Maybe something like this?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bbygklr

The Jazz arent trading Favors. And thats a terrible return for Lee and KG.

The Jazz are looking to trade Milsap or Jefferson to open up the room to play Favors. Both have expiring deals and the Jazz arent going to resign them.

« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2013, 11:01:54 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Celtics Send: Garnett, Green, Bass, Melo and Collins
Clippers Send: Bledsoe, Jordan, Butler and Odom (Expiring)

It is a bitter pill, and the precursor to a Rondo trade, but it really positions the C's well for 2014/15... Move Terry and Lee, and in 1014/15 you rebuild around:

Bledsoe (25), Bradley (24), Sullinger (22) and Jordan (27), two first rounders, whatever you get for Rondo and about $40M in cap space
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2013, 11:03:04 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

Wow. You know, that's actually really fascinating. Who says no to this?

I usually regret clicking on trade machine links, but this is a neat idea. Kudoz to you

« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2013, 11:03:43 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I'm saying I don't understand why you think this is a "crazy pipe dream", given that it's an obviously poor trade for the Celtics. Garnett, on his last legs, is likely going to be better than any of those two players will be over the next two or three years.

So you're trading away the best player in the deal, and gaining no cap flexibility in the process. Not sure what the incentive is to do this deal

1.  Right now, KG still seems the best player in the deal, but we haven't gotten a chance to see what Bledsoe is like as a full-time starter.  If he produces even close to what he did against Boston, say 18 pts and 7 assists a game, he'd already be very close to KG's current level and has the chance to be even better.

2.  With his no-trade clause, KG's value in any future deal is automatically lower than either Jordan's or Bledsoe's.  KG really doesn't even have any value as an expiring deal unless he's willing to go to some team trying to unload a bad contract.

3.  Giving up the best player isn't a big deal when the whole point is that you're not concerned with winning this year.  Getting a shot at a top 3 lottery pick might be a better deal than holding onto the 8th playoff spot in the East.

4.  If we just hold onto KG until he retires, Boston gets nothing but cap space.  Unless you think a rebuilding Celtics team is suddenly going to become vastly more attractive to free agents than it ever has been in the past, players > cap space.

5.  Getting Bledsoe allows you to make a future trade of either him or Rondo for another player.

Ultimately, all that matters is what KG wants.  If he's willing to accept the trade, it would be crazy to pass on something like Bledsoe and Jordan.  Which gets you closer to another title?  2 to 3 years of a continually declining KG with a no-trade clause or 5 to 10 years of Bledsoe and Jordan?

Mike

« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2013, 11:05:47 AM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

Boston: out Garnett, Terry and Bass
        in Millsap, Kanter, Odom, Billups, Utah 1st, Clippers 1st

Clippers: out Bledsoe, Jordan, Odom, Billups, 1st
          in Garnett, Terry, Bass

Utah: out Millsap, Kanter, 1st
      in Jordan, Bledsoe

Our lineup:
Lee/Billups/Barbosa
Bradley/Barbosa/Billups
Pierce/Green/Odom
Millsap/Odom/Wilcox
Kanter/Wilcox/Collins

and next year we add Rondo, Sully and 3 first round picks
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2013, 11:10:25 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

The Jazz arent trading Favors. And thats a terrible return for Lee and KG.

The Jazz are looking to trade Milsap or Jefferson to open up the room to play Favors. Both have expiring deals and the Jazz arent going to resign them.

If KG is going to be traded, this is one of the best [realistic] returns I've seen anyone cook up. Favors (and his contract) is on par with the PF equivalent of Bledsoe. I think that the Jazz would have to consider taking a deal like this and then re-signing Milsap as an alternative to building around Favors.