Author Topic: Clippers have inquired about KG  (Read 26442 times)

Re: Clippers have inquired about KG
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2013, 09:01:43 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

At the same time, I doubt anybody wants to pay $11 million+ per season for Perk-like production.

Right.  The thing about Jordan is that dreaded P word though.  With Jordan's athletic ability and length, he should be able to be an even bigger defensive presence than Perkins, if he keeps developing.  Perk pretty much was maxing out his ability by the time he was 24. 

I can see an argument that Jordan has the potential to be a Tyson Chandler type gamechanger, as he continues to learn the game...but that's a gamble.

A really underrated aspect of Tyson's game is that he's one of the few 7 foot dunks / rebounds / blocks guys who hits a high percentage of his free throws.  That allows him to be on the floor in tight end-of-game situations and means that getting him the ball inside is a good play even if he gets fouled.

Doubtful Jordan will ever be able to do that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2013, 09:03:56 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

At the same time, I doubt anybody wants to pay $11 million+ per season for Perk-like production.

Right.  The thing about Jordan is that dreaded P word though.  With Jordan's athletic ability and length, he should be able to be an even bigger defensive presence than Perkins, if he keeps developing.  Perk pretty much was maxing out his ability by the time he was 24. 

I can see an argument that Jordan has the potential to be a Tyson Chandler type gamechanger, as he continues to learn the game...but that's a gamble.

I don't buy it.  I don't see that Jordan's game has developed much over the last couple of seasons; he's still the same player now he was two years ago.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2013, 09:17:52 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Deandre Jordan is a fun player, but would be a bad acquisition for the Celtics.

Jordan has been compared here to Perkins and Chandler because he is a big center with limited offensive abilities and a good nose for rebounding and shot blocking.

DANGER! What makes Perkins and Chandler such useful players is that they play excellent team defense and make good decisions with the ball. Jordan is terrible in these respects, which is why the Clippers are generally worse when he is on the floor.

On this forum, we often fantasize about Kevin Garnett taking basketball-dumb physical freaks like Deandre Jordan, Javale McGee, and <gulp> Fab Melo under his wing. I don't know if the KG Academy is actually a real institution, but I do know that it will be closed if Professor Garnett gets sent to LA.

« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2013, 09:21:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I don't buy it.  I don't see that Jordan's game has developed much over the last couple of seasons; he's still the same player now he was two years ago.
He's gotten a lot better in my view, but still not far enough to be worth paying what he signed for.

He still makes the dumb plays, but he now has at least some clue what to do defensively most plays. Both he and Griffin have worked out how to be effective defensively, biggest reason the Clippers have improved so much defensively.

« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2013, 09:28:45 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300

Yeah if anything it appears as though Jordan has regressed over the past year or two.

Still, Jordan compares pretty evenly to Chandler when you match both up at age 24. He certainly fouls a lot less...

If Jordan can make the same strides that Chandler made at the free throw line & man defense I could see him having a similar career path.  It may take a while, but a bigtime defensive anchor and a legitimate 3rd option offensively is something I wouldn't be suprised by.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2013, 09:33:13 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
It is interesting to read the Clipper fan perspective on this here-

http://www.clipsnation.com/2013/2/3/3948282/clippers-interested-in-kevin-garnett

I initially thought that the Jordan+Bledsoe for Garnett package was a crazy pipe dream being cooked up by Celtics homers... but there are Clips fans on that board who would happily take that deal.

The Clipper fans are really hungry for some success and many of them see KG as a king-maker.

« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2013, 09:38:55 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I am with you.  I never believed much in Jordan (and wasn't a Perk fan either).  Just playing Devils Advocate.

I think if there is a deal to be had for KG, it is Bledsoe and Odom's expiring contract. 

« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2013, 09:48:45 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
A really underrated aspect of Tyson's game is that he's one of the few 7 foot dunks / rebounds / blocks guys who hits a high percentage of his free throws.  That allows him to be on the floor in tight end-of-game situations and means that getting him the ball inside is a good play even if he gets fouled.

Doubtful Jordan will ever be able to do that.

Jordan's FT% is so low that I believe fouling him every possession and sending him to the line would, in theory, give up fewer points per possession than a good defense.  Obviously, you can't sustain that over a whole game because you run out of players, but he's so bad he makes Rondo look like Ray Allen.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2013, 09:52:19 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
Some quotes from Clipper fans:

When the games slow down come playoff time, we might have trouble scoring. Garnett would help space the floor. DJ is worthless.

If there’s a deal for Kevin Garnett that doesn’t involve Blake or Chris you do it imo... Even if it takes DJ/Bledsoe

why would they want Bledsoe? avery and rondo is a pretty good backcourt as is. DJ and 1st makes more sense to me

Two things you forgot to mention: Kevin Garnett and Chauncey Billups are literally best friends and have known each other forever...Also Kevin Garnett lives in Malibu during the off season

DJ/Caron for Garnett and Lee. Get it done please. Throw in a 1st if need be.

and in response to that--- Celtic fans should call SVU if that went down

I don’t think it’s feasible, as I mentioned before, but if there’s anyway to get BOTH Garnett and Pierce I am fine cashing in what youth we have on the roster outside of our Dynamic Duo.

Can we trade Vinny and a number one pick for Doc Rivers instead?

Please, the talent disparity between Garnett and any combination of Butler, DJ, or Bledsoe is so large that it doesn’t even matter.

I’d easily give up DJ and a 1st rounder for Garnett, and I actually think that is a more likely than the Bledsoe scenario... DJ and a 1st rounder (or two 1st rounders) make sense for the Celts.

This one is particularly interesting to me:

DJ has a pretty big contract, and isn’t all that good. Getting free from that contract alone has a bit of value. The improvement that would come from swapping DJ and KG is too substantial to pass up for a team that has title aspirations in the short term.

And this- apparently some Clips fans also believe in KG Academy

centers have wrecked us this year . The ones with good screening bigs that roll to the basket kill us on the glass and easy baskets... KG would be a good role model for Blake and DJ he could teach them about how to be a a championship big . Its one thing to be a sportscenter big but you have to understand the nuances of the game to take that next step and KG could teach them .

By they way, they are also watching celticsblog and having a laugh at the posters who bring up Blake Griffin.

I don't see the Celtics doing this...Because they already have a plethora of good guards. On the other hand, I checked out Celticsblog…. Lol, anyone who even mentions Griffin is just out of their mind.

« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2013, 09:54:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I've said it before and will say it again, Jordan makes absolutely no sense.  I'd rather have Odom and his expiring contract in a trade for KG or Pierce.  Butler would be fine, if there was a follow-up move for Pierce, but otherwise I wouldn't want to move him.

If LA offered Odom, Bledsoe, and a couple of firsts for KG, I'd certainly consider it, but I think I would do this one

Garnett, Terry, and Green for Odom, Butler, Bledsoe, Billups, and 2013 1st

I have no idea if LA would do that, but I think it would be a good trade for both teams.  It would be solid value back for Garnett and clear off a bunch of long term salary for Boston and it would set LA up as a clear top tier contender, if not the favorite in the West (they would be tough with Paul, Crawford, Barnes, Griffin, Garnett with Jordan, Green, and Terry being the main rotation).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2013, 10:00:45 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

http://www.clipsnation.com/2013/2/3/3948282/clippers-interested-in-kevin-garnett

I initially thought that the Jordan+Bledsoe for Garnett package was a crazy pipe dream being cooked up by Celtics homers... but there are Clips fans on that board who would happily take that deal.

The Clipper fans are really hungry for some success and many of them see KG as a king-maker.
Crazy pipe dream? It's a bad trade for the Celtics. You're trading your second best player for a pair of guys that are just serviceable, and one of which is a cap killer.

A pipe dream is Garnett and Bradley for Bledsoe and Griffin (not that it works, contract-wise).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2013, 10:04:10 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Yeah if anything it appears as though Jordan has regressed over the past year or two.

Still, Jordan compares pretty evenly to Chandler when you match both up at age 24. He certainly fouls a lot less...

If Jordan can make the same strides that Chandler made at the free throw line & man defense I could see him having a similar career path.  It may take a while, but a bigtime defensive anchor and a legitimate 3rd option offensively is something I wouldn't be suprised by.

Yeah I mean it took chandler like 10 years to not suck.

He was a huge bust for a while. Jordan has plenty of time to get on chandlers level.

I just want to grab him in 10 years when he's learned some stuff like Dallas did with Chandler.

« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2013, 10:15:53 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

Crazy pipe dream? It's a bad trade for the Celtics. You're trading your second best player for a pair of guys that are just serviceable, and one of which is a cap killer.

A pipe dream is Garnett and Bradley for Bledsoe and Griffin (not that it works, contract-wise).

I don't understand what you mean. You are saying Bledsoe+Jordan isn't a good return for Garnett? I'm not criticizing, just asking. If not, what do you think would be KG's fair trade value?

« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2013, 10:19:22 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't see the point unless there is a third team that wants Bledsoe and sends the Celtics a younger, talented big man to replace KG. 

« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2013, 10:20:43 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I don't understand what you mean. You are saying Bledsoe+Jordan isn't a good return for Garnett? I'm not criticizing, just asking. If not, what do you think would be KG's fair trade value?
I'm saying I don't understand why you think this is a "crazy pipe dream", given that it's an obviously poor trade for the Celtics. Garnett, on his last legs, is likely going to be better than any of those two players will be over the next two or three years.

So you're trading away the best player in the deal, and gaining no cap flexibility in the process. Not sure what the incentive is to do this deal, let alone call it a "crazy pipe dream". The Clippers will pounce on this before you can say KG's favorite expletive, and probably even toss a first-rounder in the mix.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."