Author Topic: Clippers have inquired about KG  (Read 26446 times)

Re: Clippers have inquired about KG
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2013, 11:27:19 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
If your gonna move Garnett you mine as well do this trade.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bajgpdd

Pierce probably only would want to go back to LA to play. He gets to move with KG and together make one last finals run. In return we get Bledsoe and Jordan, Butler to come off the bench for two years at half of Pierce's salary, an Odom's expiring.

In the summer we use Bledsoe, Bradley, Terry's contract and maybe Bass as trade bait along with our other assets to try and nab a big number one fish in the power forward department. Smith? Milsap? Jefferson?

Rondo/Barbosa
Lee/FA
Green/Butler
Jefferson/Sully
Jordan/Melo

A decent attempt at a future and some cap room?

I dont do it, I hate it actually. but if Ainge pulls the trigger I could see this making sense.

Great minds think alike. I think we could throw in Bass or Terry for Billups swap, and clear another 5/6 million in cap.

Out with the old, in with the new. It's gotta happen now, if the team wants to gain any kind of assets in the process. I suppose we could sit and wait for KG and Pierce contracts to expire. Maybe they both retire at the end of the year? But even if that's the case, wouldn't they rather go out playing in the finals with LAC, over getting spanked by the Heat as an 8-seed?

Yes sir. TP for just beating me to the punch.

I still don't think Clippers want to move Bledsoe until they're sure Paul will resign. Also, I think they're still contenders (and probably their GM thinks the same) so they would want to give it a go. They've got a 5% chance, and might as well keep this team intact.
They would move him if they thought it would make them a true favorite, which KG does depending on what else is involved (they aren't gutting their bench or depth).

Even with KG, they might not be as good as the Spurs, Nuggets, Thunder IMO
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2013, 11:42:25 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
Deandre Jordan reminds me of what Perk would have been if he stayed here: no real offensive game, alters shots and does block some at a decent rate, bad free throw shooter. We weren't willing to give Perk 10 mil per, so why would we give a guy whose skill set is essentially the same that amount?

Bledsoe is a nice prospect, but I'd think it would take more than him and an expiring to take one of the best defenders and jump shooting bigs in the league from us.

« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2013, 11:59:40 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
We weren't willing to give Perk 10 mil per, so why would we give a guy whose skill set is essentially the same that amount?

Because he's 6'11 with solid wingspan and oh so athletic.

Not that I want to trade KG.

« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2013, 12:03:55 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Deandre Jordan reminds me of what Perk would have been if he stayed here: no real offensive game, alters shots and does block some at a decent rate, bad free throw shooter.

In case people didn't realize it, Perkins is a 60.8% career FT shooter while DeAndre Jordan is significantly worse at 43.6%.  Among players with at least 200 games in the 3-pt era, only Lorenzo Williams, Jerome Lane, Jim Brewer, and Ben Wallace are worse than Jordan.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2013, 12:12:15 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
i would do it, if there is a good offer.  i have a feeling that kg is done after this season when they get bounced early from the playoffs. i think he'll realize there is no title run coming.   it's really about 3 months of basketball or the future.

« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2013, 12:15:07 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
i would do it, if there is a good offer.  i have a feeling that kg is done after this season when they get bounced early from the playoffs. i think he'll realize there is no title run coming.   it's really about 3 months of basketball or the future.

no sir

i know for a fact KG still thinks he can get another ring..

thats his heart...and i believe with him

« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2013, 06:08:22 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I bet the Clips would be happy to dump Jordan on us in place of Butler for KG.  He is averaging $11M over the next 2.5 seasons.  That is too much for 9 pts and 8 rebs.  We can get that from Sullinger.  I admit that I don't see the Clippers play all that much but I don't get the feeling that Jordan is a stopper of any sort either.

Bottom line, I just don't see a match; not with Bulter or Jordan with Bledsoe or anyone else.  Nice to see the interest though.  Maybe it will start a bidding war for KG.

Bledsoe and Jordan is a very good package for KG. Not sure why you think they'll be happy to dump Jordan. You mentioned his stats, but remember that he's only playing 24 mpg. Plus, he's only 24.  As much as I love KG, if that's what they're offering, I would begrudgingly pull the trigger.

What am I missing with Jordan.  I see he is young but 5 years in the league and big but there is no real production?  Does he suddenly blossom in year 6 or 7?

I only mention Jordan because I feel that would be the only realistic deal for KG.  No way Butler and Bledsoe gets it done (at least I sure hope not).

On paper,two young players would be great for KG but if one on them is locked in at $11M and is only doing 9 and 8, I can't see it.

The age is the big thing as it relates to bigs. Bigs take much longer to develop than smaller players and he continues to improve. This year his post game is much improved, but I don't think they posted him once today.

Per 36 minutes, which is what I would like him to play, he's averaging 13.2 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 2.1 blocks, and 60% from the field. By comparison, per 36 minutes, KG is averaging 17.8 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 1.2 bpg, and 50% from the field. One is 36, the other is 24 and rising. Plus Eric Bledsoe? The deal becomes a no brainer.
Hardly. You can't play Jordan 36 minutes because of his foul shooting and  KG's got a better PER offensively (19.0 vs 16.9, despite that high FG% from all those dunks). Defensively KG is a much, much better player than Jordan and is ranked 22nd in the NBA this year by SynergySports on opponent's points per possession (i.e., on-ball defense) vs 157th for Jordan (there are 150 starters in the NBA and roughly 450 players).  As far as help defense, KG's one of the all-time best.  The general feeling among Clippers fans is that Jordan is overpaid. Bledsoe's also over-rated and a lot of Clippers fans think he's strictly a back-up talent and hasn't been doing very well as that despite tonight's game. His SynergySports  ratings are well into backup player territory ranking 234th defensively and 257th offensively.

The Clippers are very ordinary witout CP3. If I'm blowing things up, give me expiring contracts and picks rather than these two players.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 06:18:33 AM by colincb »

« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2013, 06:36:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Deandre Jordan reminds me of what Perk would have been if he stayed here: no real offensive game, alters shots and does block some at a decent rate, bad free throw shooter.

He is x10 the athlete Perk was and he can jump.

This trade isn't happening as Bledsoe is their PG.  First it was Butler now it is Jordan.   Butler, Bledsoe made little sense and this led to think this whole thread is but a a rumor.  It would kill their guard rotation.  I think someone is pulling our strings.

« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2013, 07:52:21 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'd have to do Jordan/Bledsoe for KG and I'd think Danny would too. An athletic 7ft center and a very capable young PG is too much from an asset standpoint to pass up. Even if we aren't building with those guys it would be hard to say no just on a talent basis. KG is probably a top-10 all-time NBA player but the C's can't assume he'll play forever.

The only team I'd rather trade KG to is the Thunder. If I thought we could move him and Melo for Martin/Lamb/PJIII package I'd rather have those players and I think pairing him with Perk again makes too much sense. If the Clipppers offer Jordan/Bledsoe those guys are so young and already somewhat proven that it only makes sense they are better assets. Either trade is something to pull the trigger on I think.

To be honest at this point I would seriously consider trading Rondo to a rebuilding team for one last swing at a championship. It would really sting but with the way we are playing and Rondo's value, even injured, it seems like a worthwhile thing to investigate.

« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2013, 08:29:57 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Bledsoe is a nice prospect, but I'd think it would take more than him and an expiring to take one of the best defenders and jump shooting bigs in the league from us.

Well, it's more like a few months, perhaps a season and a half of KG being traded for a nice young prospect and an expiring.

Obviously it would be a bad trade if KG weren't 36 and on the verge of retirement.

But the calculus changes when you factor in KG's age, Pierce's age, and the fact that Rondo and Sullinger will both be out until the start of next season, and neither may be at full strength again until at least halfway through next season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2013, 08:45:24 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

True.  His production is pretty similar to Perk's, at least prior to Perk's injury.

Perk (2009, age 24): 8.5 points, 8.1 rebounds, 2.0 blocks, 1.3 assists, 57.7% FG%
Jordan (2013, age 24): 9.0 points, 6.9 rebounds, 1.4 blocks, 0.4 assists, 60.3% FG%

Perk went on to up his scoring to 10.1 points per game on 60% shooting in 2010, prior to the injury.  I think a lot of folks forget that Perk was a pretty decent contributor on the offensive end as a fifth option.

At the same time, I doubt anybody wants to pay $11 million+ per season for Perk-like production. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2013, 08:56:55 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

True.  His production is pretty similar to Perk's, at least prior to Perk's injury.

Perk (2009, age 24): 8.5 points, 8.1 rebounds, 2.0 blocks, 1.3 assists, 57.7% FG%
Jordan (2013, age 24): 9.0 points, 6.9 rebounds, 1.4 blocks, 0.4 assists, 60.3% FG%

Perk went on to up his scoring to 10.1 points per game on 60% shooting in 2010, prior to the injury.  I think a lot of folks forget that Perk was a pretty decent contributor on the offensive end as a fifth option.

At the same time, I doubt anybody wants to pay $11 million+ per season for Perk-like production.

Perk was having a really nice 2010 season before his injury.  I remember at one point he was averaging like 12 points a game and had a few 20 point games.

Unfortunately the knee injury really seemed to set him back.

As for Jordan, to me it just comes down to minutes.  You don't give $10 million a season to a guy who can only be on the floor for 20-25 minutes a night, unless he's Manu Ginobili or something.

Jordan per-36 is a 13 pt 10 reb 2 blk on 60% shooting player.  If he could hit 60-70% of his free throws he'd be worth every penny (and would probably average closer to 15 or 16 points per 36).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2013, 08:57:01 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I feel like a lot of people forget this as well. For as "bad" as Perk was on the offensive end. He was a nice fifth option, waiting on the block for the easy dunks and weak side put backs.

« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2013, 08:59:27 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Right.  The thing about Jordan is that dreaded P word though.  With Jordan's athletic ability and length, he should be able to be an even bigger defensive presence than Perkins, if he keeps developing.  Perk pretty much was maxing out his ability by the time he was 24. 

I can see an argument that Jordan has the potential to be a Tyson Chandler type gamechanger, as he continues to learn the game...but that's a gamble. 

« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2013, 09:00:21 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I feel like a lot of people forget this as well. For as "bad" as Perk was on the offensive end. He was a nice fifth option, waiting on the block for the easy dunks and weak side put backs.

Pre-injury, Perk was a nice bargain at 3 or 4 million a season.  But even at the pre-injury production, 7-8 million was a stretch.  Without the benefit of being the 5th option / afterthought on offense (i.e. post-Big 3), it'd be hard for Perk to keep producing the way he was.
- Mark Twain