Author Topic: Why blowing it up is such a terrible idea  (Read 2889 times)

Why blowing it up is such a terrible idea
« on: February 03, 2013, 12:03:10 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
1.  We are not going to get value when we trade Pierce and KG.  Let them retire as Celtics.

2.  We already have a very nice crop of young talent in Rondo, Sullinger, Bradley, Lee, Green, and arguably Bass.  What better way to help them grow than having Pierce and KG mentoring them for two years?

3.  The window isn't completely sealed shut yet.  While it's not like we'll be favorites the rest of KG and Pierce's careers, that doesn't mean we're automatically a bottom feeder team.  We've seen flashes this year of what this team can do when it puts it together.  It's just a matter of consistency.   We have the ability to knock out the Heat in the first round, there is no doubt in my mind we CAN (not will).

Re: Why blowing it up is such a terrible idea
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 12:10:45 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
1.  We are not going to get value when we trade Pierce and KG.  Let them retire as Celtics.

PP can not pretend to get 15 mill/year 35 years old...

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
Let's just tank. The Celtics are right now are not a player on the big scene. We are a charity case fighting for the eight spot. I don't even sniff the 1st round of the playoffs. It's case of the strong eating the weak. The NFL is one of the best organizations in the World. They give top teams a bye. They let the weaklings fight it out first.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 12:20:32 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
Let's just tank. The Celtics are right now are not a player on the big scene. We are a charity case fighting for the eight spot. I don't even sniff the 1st round of the playoffs. It's case of the strong eating the weak. The NFL is one of the best organizations in the World. They give top teams a bye. They let the weaklings fight it out first.

I'm not saying I'm in favor of tanking, but because the West is so stacked, the 9th seed in the East (As of now, not end of the season) would get the 10th pick in the draft. Whereas the 8th seed gets 15th (Last playoff seed pick). Something to think about.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 12:23:19 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Why do people keep saying we won't get value for KG and pierce? There's not a contender in the NBA that wouldn't love to have them and every win now team would give up pieces for KG. Also, yes, the window is shut bro I'm sorry.

If rondo wasn't hurt id say we have a slim chance but with him out you can forget about it. If we're talking pipe dreams then sure we have a chance. If we're talking pipe dreams any team that makes the playoffs have a chance. The only chance i think the heat lose before the finals is if rose gets healthy and back to about 90percent healthy.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 12:38:13 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It sisn't such a bad idea, I would counter that bad value is better than letting them walk, not to mention that we will have a worse draft slot.

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 12:41:13 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Why keeping it together is such a terrible idea:

1.  We're due for a first- or second-round out in the playoffs.

2.  It delays our rebuilding process.

3.  We end up with a mid-first round pick, instead of a potential lottery pick(s).

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 12:44:12 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Why are people so eager to rebuild, when the reality is that building towards what we currently have is pretty much the goal season in and season out, and then crossing your fingers you can actually acquire someone who can put you clearly over the top?

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 12:45:33 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Why do people keep saying we won't get value for KG and pierce? There's not a contender in the NBA that wouldn't love to have them and every win now team would give up pieces for KG. Also, yes, the window is shut bro I'm sorry.

If rondo wasn't hurt id say we have a slim chance but with him out you can forget about it. If we're talking pipe dreams then sure we have a chance. If we're talking pipe dreams any team that makes the playoffs have a chance. The only chance i think the heat lose before the finals is if rose gets healthy and back to about 90percent healthy.

1. KG has a no trade clause

2. What great value do you think we can get?

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 12:54:20 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

1. KG has a no trade clause

2. What great value do you think we can get?

I know but he can agree to be traded if he wants. I'm not sure all i know is every win now team would give up some pieces for KG. What those pieces are I'm not going to pretend like i know, nobody does.

*Edit* just read this on twitter: Sources tell Sporting News that the #Clippers have contacted the #Celtics about Kevin Garnett. Offer would include Caron Butler and Beldsoe.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:05:50 PM by Lightskinsmurf »

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 12:55:59 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Why are people so eager to rebuild, when the reality is that building towards what we currently have is pretty much the goal season in and season out, and then crossing your fingers you can actually acquire someone who can put you clearly over the top?

This.

It's amazing how many people want to bottom out now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 01:04:25 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
OP is dead wrong about getting value back in trades for PP/KG. KG especially, has a rather modest contract for his production, and ability to instill instant toughness in to his teammates. Pierce should not be making what he makes right now, but his contract is more or less an expiring, in the sense that a contender can rent his talents for this season, and then waive him (4 or 5 million buyout?).

The Clippers would be almost a lock for a title if they were to trade for both Pierce/KG (boston gets Jordan/Butler/Odom/filler). We call a spade a spade, lose out get a top 10 pick, and begin to rebuild legitimately.

You could say the same for Chicago, if Rose comes back to full form. Imagine a Boozer/Deng for PP/KG swap.....they get to play for Tibbs and actually compete with a great chance to make it to the finals and win.....Noah/KG/PP/Rip/Rose would be the best half court team in the league.

Other teams that would improve greatly as playoff contenders with PP and/or KG: Denver, Golden State, Indiana.

There's no doubt in my mind that Boston gets 60 cents on the dollar or better for KG especially, which is more than enough in my book. We should learn from Ray Allen's departure to actually operate like an efficient business, rather than watching this painful deterioration.

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 01:05:40 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I look at it like this...I think we have a higher chance to luck out and get a top pick, than win a title.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 01:07:33 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

This.

It's amazing how many people want to bottom out now.

Its not about WANTING too. Its about living in the real world and knowing this day is coming very soon even if you try to delay it as much as possible *Which would put us in a worse position once that day comes*

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 01:08:29 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
I look at it like this...I think we have a higher chance to luck out and get a top pick, than win a title.

Very well said.