Author Topic: Comparing last year's playoff team verses the current team  (Read 881 times)

Comparing last year's playoff team verses the current team
« on: February 03, 2013, 11:25:45 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Even with the loss of Rondo and Sullinger, I think our current team if nobody else get's hurt (knock on wood), may be in better position than last year's playoff team.  Take a look at the playoff stats below from last year's team.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/stats/2011-playoffs

With games more spaced out in the playoffs I think KG can come close to his playoff stats of a year ago, 36.9 MPG, 19.2 PPG, and 10.3 RPG.   That will obviously be a huge key for us if he can do that, and my eyes tell me there hasn't been much drop in play if any at all for KG this season. 

With Paul Pierce he played with a strained MCL in last year's playoffs and still put up 18.9 PPG, 6RPG, and 3.1 APG although shooting .386 from the field.  A healthy Paul could at least do that this time around.   

Bass was playing 30 MPG last year in the playoffs so maybe just maybe with more playing time he can get his act together, and start playing like he did last year. 

Rondo was stellar last year in the playoffs 17.3 PPG, 11.9 APG, and 6.7 RPG, however the backcourt as a whole may be just as good.   This year's version of Bradley should be better than last year's in the playoffs when he played with bum shoulders, playing in only 10 games shooting .368 from the field with 6.7 PPG.  Ray played in only 10 games himself with bad ankles shooting .395 FG%, .304 3P%, and 10.7 PPG.  Terry by himself should at the very least do that.   Dooling wasn't much of a factor at all with 2.8 PPG.  If Lee and Barbosa can keep up their recent stretch of play that might come close offsetting playoff version Rondo.

Now here is where I think we have the biggest advantage with Jeff Green verses Pietrus/Daniels.   Both Pietrus and Daniels were very good defenders for us, but they combined to score only 5.5 PPG, and Peitrus only shot .329 from the field playing 19.6 MPG.  Green should at least double the PPG by himself, and I think his D has been been little underrated.  It's really coming along, and he matches up ok with Lebron, and Melo.

Our back up bigs I would take Wilcox over Steimsma, and for all the flack Collins gets I would take him over Ryan Hollins.  We may not be done adding frontcourt depth.   

This gives me reason for optimism even though the Eastern Conference seems to be stronger this year.   I'm not ready to give up hope yet. 

Re: Comparing last year's playoff team verses the current team
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 11:34:28 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Even with the loss of Rondo and Sullinger, I think our current team if nobody else get's hurt (knock on wood), may be in better position than last year's playoff team.  Take a look at the playoff stats below from last year's team.

With games more spaced out in the playoffs I think KG can come close to his playoff stats of a year ago, 36.9 MPG, 19.2 PPG, and 10.3 RPG.   That will obviously be a huge key for us if he can do that, and my eyes tell me there hasn't been much drop in play if any at all for KG this season. 

With Paul Pierce he played with a strained MCL in last year's playoffs and still put up 18.9 PPG, 6RPG, and 3.1 APG although shooting .386 from the field.  A healthy Paul could at least do that this time around.   

Bass was playing 30 MPG last year in the playoffs so maybe just maybe with more playing time he can get his act together, and start playing like he did last year. 

Rondo was stellar last year in the playoffs 17.3 PPG, 11.9 APG, and 6.7 RPG, however the backcourt as a whole may be just as good.   This year's version of Bradley should be better than last year's in the playoffs when he played with bum shoulders, playing in only 10 games shooting .368 from the field with 6.7 PPG.  Ray played in only 10 games himself with bad ankles shooting .395 FG%, .304 3P%, and 10.7 PPG.  Terry by himself should at the very least do that.   Dooling wasn't much of a factor at all with 2.8 PPG.  If Lee and Barbosa can keep up their recent stretch of play that might come close offsetting playoff version Rondo.

Now here is where I think we have the biggest advantage with Jeff Green verses Pietrus/Daniels.   Both Pietrus and Daniels were very good defenders for us, but they combined to score only 5.5 PPG, and Peitrus only shot .329 from the field playing 19.6 MPG.  Green should at least double the PPG by himself, and I think his D has been been little underrated.  It's really coming along, and he matches up ok with Lebron, and Melo.

Our back up bigs I would take Wilcox over Steimsma, and for all the flack Collins gets I would take him over Ryan Hollins.  We may not be done adding frontcourt depth.   

This gives me reason for optimism even though the Eastern Conference seems to be stronger this year.   I'm not ready to give up hope yet.

The East was so depleted last year, that we only had to deal with Miami. We all know how that went. This year, with our positioning, we will have to take on tougher challengers in the opening rounds.

I think we are capable of beating the Brooklyns and New Yorks and Indianas even without Rondo. Against Miami? I don't know. The team MIA look like right now we can. But we know better than anyone that good teams can flip a switch. Is MIA capable of that? We will find out in a few months.

Thinking about it, we may be better off playing them in the first round. We can punch them before they even see us coming, and maybe severe enough to knock them out.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 01:07:05 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
East is tougher this year and the Celtics are worse. 

Come playoff team, things are going to be extremely difficult for this depleted unit (especially as currently constituted).

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 01:07:51 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

The East was so depleted last year, that we only had to deal with Miami. We all know how that went. This year, with our positioning, we will have to take on tougher challengers in the opening rounds.

I think we are capable of beating the Brooklyns and New Yorks and Indianas even without Rondo. Against Miami? I don't know. The team MIA look like right now we can. But we know better than anyone that good teams can flip a switch. Is MIA capable of that? We will find out in a few months.

Thinking about it, we may be better off playing them in the first round. We can punch them before they even see us coming, and maybe severe enough to knock them out.

Regardless of the road you take, you still need to play the same amount of teams to reach the championship.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 01:25:32 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think KG can come close to his playoff stats of a year ago, 36.9 MPG, 19.2 PPG, and 10.3 RPG.

Maybe, but he'll be hard pressed.  We certainly are going to need it, though, if we are to have any chance at all.

Rondo was stellar last year in the playoffs 17.3 PPG, 11.9 APG, and 6.7 RPG

Yeah, good luck replacing that level of production.  There are maybe one or two other players in all of the NBA capable of putting up a stat line like that for an entire playoffs.

If Lee and Barbosa can keep up their recent stretch of play that might come close offsetting playoff version Rondo.

See above.