Author Topic: Rondo was slowing the team down?!  (Read 13459 times)

Re: Rondo was slowing the team down?!
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2013, 04:29:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
frankly IMO...the loss of  Sully is more serious to this Celtic team than Rondo.   

It is Tuff pill to swallow for a lot of folks ......but maybe this will show how Rondo improves the game of some players and destroys the game of others all at the same time.

Clearly Doc has to consider how ROndos erratic play from one game to another destroys  the team rhythm

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2013, 05:05:07 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I always stated Rondo was a Great Player but not a Great Fit.

Then you get the players and coach to fit around Rondo, not get rid of your best player.

Mike

Building this team around Rondo is insanity. Rondo is not good enough to build around. You only build teams around superstars not all-stars like Rondo.

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2013, 05:10:56 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
Simply put Rondo was overall hurting this team. I've been saying so for 3+ yrs now. I always stated Rondo was a Great Player but not a Great Fit. I've been bashed for being a so-called Rondo basher for stating the all of a sudden obvious to many, I even been warned by a moderator in the past for bashing Rondo... ??? Now its an epiphany for most if not all to agree to what I observed 3 seasons ago. thx for catching up  :-*

Most of the people who think Rondo's bad for the team watch the game selectively and only see particular things they're looking for. They're the people who claim that Rondo slows the game down too much even though we play at a faster pace with him than without him, they're the ones who are praising our newfound transition game in spite of the fact that we aren't scoring more fast break points or scoring them more efficiently, they're the ones who are thrilled about how much better the offense is without him even though it hasn't improved at all.

Those are the people who are "catching up" to you.

I can't speak for everyone, but i evaluate Rondo on whether or not he plays the game the "right" way. Too many times he will pass up open layups or open shots that would easily be two points in exchange for passing it out to another guy who might or might not make the shot. This is just...not very smart. If he didn't do this so frequently i might not have a problem, but he basically does this every game. His defense is atrocious (he's always letting his man get in front so he can swipe at the ball from behind) and he basically just chooses to play hard whenever he wants. These are the reasons why i am not a fan of Rondos game.

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2013, 05:29:22 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I've been saying for years Rondo is overrated.  For all the high praise he gets by the C's fans, he was not good enough to land Westbrook, CP3, or Steph Curry.  Now that's not exactly trashing the guy as those are some pretty talented players.  But the main point is nobody around the league holds him in as high regard as being a top player.  He couldn't even make the Team USA squad.  Look at home the team is playing without him. I don't know how much more evidence you need.  All he does is hold the ball for at least half the shot clock and he'll rack up assists based on how well we are shooting that day.  Guess what, most guys who are good enough to make the NBA know how to play basketball.  They all didn't make it this far because they had some wizard play maker always supplying them with perfect passes (sarcasm).  Even the C's wanted this guy out, but of course there are no takers.  If this guy is so great at "running the offense" why is our offensive efficiency so bad compared to other teams?

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2013, 05:30:46 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93

Then you get the players and coach to fit around Rondo, not get rid of your best player.

Mike

Building this team around Rondo is insanity. Rondo is not good enough to build around. You only build teams around superstars not all-stars like Rondo.

These are the posts I don't understand. There are 2 "superstars" in the league by most people's definition of the type of player teams should build around. Chances of us getting either are slim. Chances of another emerging in the draft (let alone us getting him) are also slim.

We won a title with no "superstars" and 3 all-stars. You build a team around the best pieces you have. We should do what got us to a title and has kept us relevant, team basketball. Valuing the team over the individual.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2013, 05:31:58 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

I can't speak for everyone, but i evaluate Rondo on whether or not he plays the game the "right" way. Too many times he will pass up open layups or open shots that would easily be two points in exchange for passing it out to another guy who might or might not make the shot. This is just...not very smart.

He does this to fill up the stat sheet.  Goes for his assists; if he's approaching 10 boards he will hang around the rim.

There's a very notable trend that he has bigger games when they're nationally televised.  So basically he plays harder during these games to promote himself.  Don't fool yourself into thinking he's "stepping up his game".  The great players play hard EVERY game.

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2013, 06:26:54 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Simply put Rondo was overall hurting this team. I've been saying so for 3+ yrs now. I always stated Rondo was a Great Player but not a Great Fit. I've been bashed for being a so-called Rondo basher for stating the all of a sudden obvious to many, I even been warned by a moderator in the past for bashing Rondo... ??? Now its an epiphany for most if not all to agree to what I observed 3 seasons ago. thx for catching up  :-*

Most of the people who think Rondo's bad for the team watch the game selectively and only see particular things they're looking for. They're the people who claim that Rondo slows the game down too much even though we play at a faster pace with him than without him, they're the ones who are praising our newfound transition game in spite of the fact that we aren't scoring more fast break points or scoring them more efficiently, they're the ones who are thrilled about how much better the offense is without him even though it hasn't improved at all.

I can't speak for everyone, but i evaluate Rondo on whether or not he plays the game the "right" way. Too many times he will pass up open layups or open shots that would easily be two points in exchange for passing it out to another guy who might or might not make the shot. This is just...not very smart. If he didn't do this so frequently i might not have a problem, but he basically does this every game.

Rondo generally only passes up open layups on fast breaks. Every game you see Rondo drive the lane, suck in the defense and pass the ball out to someone for a jumper. There will be a big near Rondo ready to defend the shot. Since Rondo passes it and doesn't shoot it the big makes no effort to block the (non)shot. Since Rondo drove the lane and (because he didn't attempt a shot) nobody tried to block him some people think he passed up an open layup.

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2013, 08:30:44 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210

I can't speak for everyone, but i evaluate Rondo on whether or not he plays the game the "right" way. Too many times he will pass up open layups or open shots that would easily be two points in exchange for passing it out to another guy who might or might not make the shot. This is just...not very smart. If he didn't do this so frequently i might not have a problem, but he basically does this every game.

Rondo generally only passes up open layups on fast breaks. Every game you see Rondo drive the lane, suck in the defense and pass the ball out to someone for a jumper. There will be a big near Rondo ready to defend the shot. Since Rondo passes it and doesn't shoot it the big makes no effort to block the (non)shot. Since Rondo drove the lane and (because he didn't attempt a shot) nobody tried to block him some people think he passed up an open layup.

That might be true, but then we end up with a bunch of mid-range jump shots and it is hard to win with mid-range jump shots, even if they are open looks.

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2013, 08:55:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

That might be true, but then we end up with a bunch of mid-range jump shots and it is hard to win with mid-range jump shots, even if they are open looks.

That's true but I don't think you can really blame Rondo for that.

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2013, 09:21:12 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Doc, Danny, rondo or someone messed things up when they decided that rondo needed to be the focal point of the offense.

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2013, 09:28:50 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton

Mike

These are the posts I don't understand. There are 2 "superstars" in the league by most people's definition of the type of player teams should build around. Chances of us getting either are slim. Chances of another emerging in the draft (let alone us getting him) are also slim.

We won a title with no "superstars" and 3 all-stars. You build a team around the best pieces you have. We should do what got us to a title and has kept us relevant, team basketball. Valuing the team over the individual.

The year the team won the title, Garnett was still a superstar in this league.

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2013, 09:35:52 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Mike

And the year we went to game 7 of the finals he wasn't, neither was PP or RA.

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2013, 09:36:54 PM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19

Mike

True that. "These are the posts I don't understand." :P
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2013, 10:01:32 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Is a MUST to send Rondo out from this team

« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2013, 11:44:06 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
rondo carried us on our backs last year and the 2010 finals year.