Author Topic: Best possible year to lose Rondo.  (Read 3726 times)

Best possible year to lose Rondo.
« on: February 04, 2013, 09:36:51 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Although losing him stinks. You can't ask for a better year to see what the rest of the team has got. Bradley, Terry, Lee, and Barbosa.

One more thought on Rondo. He does slow the game down with his refusal to pass the ball up the court. Jason Kidd would always throw it up court first to see if someone could get a layup. Then if not Kidd would go get the ball back. Rondo never wants to let the ball go. He's very controlling. It's his greatest strength and also his greatest weakness.

Re: Best possible year to lose Rondo.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 09:54:04 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Although losing him stinks. You can't ask for a better year to see what the rest of the team has got. Bradley, Terry, Lee, and Barbosa.

One more thought on Rondo. He does slow the game down with his refusal to pass the ball up the court. Jason Kidd would always throw it up court first to see if someone could get a layup. Then if not Kidd would go get the ball back. Rondo never wants to let the ball go. He's very controlling. It's his greatest strength and also his greatest weakness.
he passes to trailers ahead all the time.

People see what they want to see I guess.

If you think he has the ball too much it's in the half court.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 09:54:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Best possible year to lose Rondo would've been next year in my opinion. After a deep playoff run or, *gasp*, a title. Pierce and Garnett retired. Tank city for the strong 2014 draft.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 10:01:21 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71

Perhaps you're also seeing what you want to see? I can't cite an advanced-ahead stat but presumably neither can you.  I disagree, I think he keeps the ball in his hands too much in all circumstances.

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 10:18:40 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Perhaps you're also seeing what you want to see? I can't cite an advanced-ahead stat but presumably neither can you.  I disagree, I think he keeps the ball in his hands too much in all circumstances.

Too bad there aren't stats, they generally fly in the face of just about every criticism of Rondo that can be measured statistically besides his shooting percentages.

Rondo really slows the game down to a crawl, but he's very stealthy about it. He does it in a way that doesn't affect our pace and it doesn't have the slightest effect on when our shots happen in the shot clock compared to other teams. Maybe the stats we have just measure what they want to measure.

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 10:19:54 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Rondo is overly aggressive in transition to a fault Tos from risky passes keep our overall efficiency on the breakdown around league average most seasons. He's also very good at pushing semi-transition for advantages by probing even when we don't have numbers.

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 10:24:05 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Best possible year to lose Rondo would've been next year in my opinion. After a deep playoff run or, *gasp*, a title. Pierce and Garnett retired. Tank city for the strong 2014 draft.

Just who do you think we are? The Spurs?

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 10:42:53 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71

Rondo is overly aggressive in transition to a fault Tos from risky passes keep our overall efficiency on the breakdown around league average most seasons. He's also very good at pushing semi-transition for advantages by probing even when we don't have numbers.

I agree he's overly aggressive and I think too flashy to a fault. The transition turnovers bother me the most because in more open space and at this level of basketball, transition turnovers should be a rarity.  You can see Chris Paul play for two weeks and not see him turn the ball over in transition once.  Rondo does it almost every game and often more than once a game and most were because of stupid passes.  I'm talking about alley-oops to Bass or 30 foot bounce passes that hit the shin of a teammate or long-range passes that lead a teammate out of bounds. 

At any rate, the types of advance passes I mean are simple ones to a teammate, say 5 or 10 feet over the half court time.  They give his teammates options to pass to another teammate, make a surge to the basket or do nothing and reset with Rondo.  The Celtics do that all the time now.

Another thing is that when Rondo dribbles the ball over the halfcourt, he too often dribbles out the opportunity to look for early offense or what could be deemed a secondary break.  In those cases, he has to be like a quarterback with a clock in his head for the rush.  You only get maybe 5 seconds or so to catch a defense before it fully sets up.  Afterwards, you get caught up in a grinding, methodical halfcourt set.  Rondo has to either attack or give it to a teammate and make the defense shift.  He too often holds onto it and lets the opportunity pass.  I had the same gripes with Marcus Banks.   

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 10:45:32 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

TP. That got a chuckle.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 11:21:56 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28

TP. That got a chuckle.

Rondos gone for at least a third to half of next season I bet. If kg retires than its tank at all costs next year, if not we'll probably looking at the exact same scenario we've been looking at for the last 3 seasons, only the core (kg and pierce) are one year older (yet again)
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 11:57:24 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
There is no such thing as a best possible season to lose Rondo.

It's never a good thing.

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 02:41:02 AM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Never the best time to lose an important player. But this team can still contend. And glad all of the guards on this team can get playing time