Author Topic: Clippers (34-14) at Celtics (23-23) 2/3  (Read 50232 times)

Clippers (34-14) at Celtics (23-23) 2/3
« on: February 02, 2013, 09:02:35 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at     
Los Angeles Clippers (34-14) at  Boston Celtics (23-23)
Sunday, February 3, 2013
1:00 PM ET
Regular Season Game #47,  Home Game #26
TV:  NBA-TV,  CSNNE, PRIME
Radio:  WEEI, KFWB
TD Garden

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
vs 
Avery Bradley vs Eric Bledsoe

Shooting Guard
  vs 
Courtney Lee vs Willie Green

Small Forward
  vs 
Paul Pierce vs Caron Butler 

Power Forward
vs
Brandon Bass vs Blake Griffin

Center
vs
Kevin Garnett  vs DeAndre Jordan

Celtics Reserves

Jason Terry
Jason Collins
Chris Wilcox
Jeff Green
Leandro Barbosa
Fab Melo

Injuries
Rajon Rondo (knee) out
Jared Sullinger (back) out

Reserves
Matt Barnes
Jamal Crawford
Ryan Hollins
Lamar Odom
Ronny Turiaf
Grant Hill

Injuries
Chauncey Billups (foot)  out
Chris Paul  (knee) out
Trey Thompkins (knee)  out 

Game Notes
The Celtics look to win a fourth straight game since Rondo's season-ending injury when they host the Clippers, who will be without Chris Paul for the 7th straight game.   The last time these two teams met, the Clippers handed the Celtics one of their worst losses of the season, a 106-77 blowout loss at the Staples Center.  The Celtics will be looking for some revenge in this one. 

The Celtics had lost their last 6 before Rondo's injury but they rallied as a team and have won their last 3 in a row since Rondo went out.  The Clippers have struggled since Paul injured his knee,  losing four of the last six after falling 98-73 at Toronto on Friday - which was their worst loss of the season.   The Celtics are 4-6 in their last 10 games while the Clippers are a slightly better 5-5 in their last 10.   The Celtics are 16-9 at home, but the Clippers are a good road team with a 14-9 record away from the Staples Center.  They have, however, lost 4 of their last 5 on the road. 

The Celtics are home and have had a day off, unlike their first meeting when the Celtics were on the road and adjusting to West Coast time.  This time,  the Clippers are playing the third game of an eight-game road trip.   If the Celtics continue to play as they have in their last 3 games, they have a very good chance to win their fourth straight game. 

Key Matchups
vs 
Avery Bradley vs Eric Bledsoe
This is a battle of replacement point guards.  With Chris Paul out of the game the young and talented Bledsoe will fill in and it will be up to Avery Bradley to stop him from having a big game.  The back court of Bradley and Lee have been dubbed "Pit Bulls" and they love making it tough on opposing guards. 

vs
Brandon Bass vs Blake Griffin
Griffin is a tough matchup for anyone.  Bass won't be able to handle Griffin alone so it's going to take team defense to keep Griffin from getting to the hoop at will.   

Keys to the Game
Defense - The Celtics must make defense a priority.    They have been playing great defense over their last 4 games and they need that to continue.  The defensive mindset has begun with the "pit bull" backcourt of Lee and Bradley and it has spread to the rest of the team. 

Rebound -  The Celtics need to make an effort to crash the boards.   The Clippers are capable of running on the break if the Celtics don't prevent it by keeping them from getting the rebounds.  Griffin is also very dangerous around the basket getting tip ins and second chance baskets.   With their best rebounder out,  every Celtic must step up and give extra effort to crash the boards.   

Ball Movement - The Celtics have to move the ball and look for the open man.  They have to play team ball.  With Rondo out, they have been advancing the ball with the pass and depending less on walking the ball up the court and that has given them some easy baskets as they beat the defenses up the court.   

Be Aggressive 
- The Celtics must be the more aggressive team.  They can't play passively against a team like the Clippers.  They have to be aggressive on defense, in chasing down loose balls, and in going to the hoop, especially if their jumpers aren't falling.   

X-Factors
Team Play and Focus
 The Celtics have been winning with team play.  They have been getting great contributions from every player.  They need to continue playing as a team and moving the ball.  Against the Magic the Celtics went through a slump in the game where they let Orlando get back into the game.   They have to keep their focus all game against the Clippers or they could find themselves in trouble. 

Re: Clippers (34-14) at Celtics (23-23) 2/3
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 11:58:34 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Bass looks like the weak link.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 12:02:58 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Put Garnett on Griffin and Bass on D.Jordan defensively?

Although, Garnett didn't exactly cover himself in glory in LA when he tried to defend Blake Griffin the last time around. Maybe KG is more valuable as a team defender. Might just have to live with that Bass vs Griffin matchup.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 12:05:58 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think LAC is making a mistake starting Willie Green in the backcourt alongside Bledsoe. They need more of an offensive threat there with Chris Paul out. I think they should start Jamal Crawford instead.

Especially against Boston who have two limited offensive threats in the backcourt with Courtney Lee and Avery Bradley. Nobody there who can punish Crawford's poor defensive play.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 12:33:41 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
Finally ill be able to watch a celts game in a long time

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 12:34:19 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Ugh.  Bass is starting again.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 12:37:40 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Going to be a tough game.  Our focus needs to be containing Crawford and Griffin.

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 12:38:27 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
This is a good game to be without Sully. He was brutal against the Clippers, just couldn't handle the quickness and athleticism of their bigs, and playing alongside Bass didn't do any favors to either of them.

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 12:41:52 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Going to be a tough game.  Our focus needs to be containing Crawford and Griffin.

I thought Crawford has a broken nose, will he play?

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 12:42:49 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

I thought Crawford has a broken nose, will he play?

Not sure. If he's out, I like our chances.

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 12:46:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

LoL......I was thinking the same thing........I become very attached to seeing Sully play .......the C,s are starving for a rebounder now.......I'm dreading not seeing Sully out there to battle in the paint........I get really frustrated thinking about the C,s without him, more so than Rondo.

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 12:56:38 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
This should be a good test for the Rondo-less, Sully-less celtics today.

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 01:00:06 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Put Garnett on Griffin and Bass on D.Jordan defensively?

Although, Garnett didn't exactly cover himself in glory in LA when he tried to defend Blake Griffin the last time around. Maybe KG is more valuable as a team defender. Might just have to live with that Bass vs Griffin matchup.

Not sure myself what is the correct way to go about this, considering Griffin's style, I rather keep Bass on him and let KG cover Jordan. As much as I like KG as a team defender, I really hope he doesn't over-help. It's usually unneeded, and it's in those instances where Jordan makes a living.

So give assignments, and stay solid throughout.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 01:04:57 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Regardless of who guards Griffin, force him to shoot from outside. In fact, that should be our team strategy today. With no CP3, they have a very limited perimeter offense.

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 01:05:45 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Let's go Celtics!

Regardless of who guards Griffin, force him to shoot from outside. In fact, that should be our team strategy today. With no CP3, they have a very limited perimeter offense.

Griffin has a much improved outside game.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"