Author Topic: Greg Oden spotted in Waltham?  (Read 10175 times)

Re: Greg Oden spotted in Waltham?
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2013, 05:20:03 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
There is absolutely no down side to a deal like this. We are under the hard tax and have room. It would make us a tax payer, but when KG and Pierce retire we won't be tax payers anyway so we won't be a repeat offender.

A lot of players signed for the vet min never see the court. Iff he gets hurt he is still worth the risk, because the reward is so much greater than any other vet min you would see.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2013, 05:20:48 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If the Celtics can sign him it would be a good gamble.  Seven footers with skills are not easy to find.

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2013, 06:00:46 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
As others have said, so worth the gamble.

I think you're looking at the league's best defensive center if healthy and one of its best rebounding ones.  There's a ceiling for more as well.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2013, 06:13:05 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
greg oden is worth the risk. Saying he's always injured is ridiculous.

ok, how is this:

"he has NEVER been healthy"

he was healthy in college, so that's false

You and I seem to remember different realities about Oden's college career. He had a thumb injury half the season. :P

But I agree, Oden on a minimum contract is an objectively great move. Even if he never plays another minute in the NBA, he's worth risking the minimum for.

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2013, 06:27:48 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
I might be a little late but it's confirmed:

A. Sherrod Blakely: #Celticstalk: The rumor is true. The #Celtics did meet with Greg Oden today in Waltham. More to come on #CSNNE.com. Twitter @SherrodbCSN

The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2013, 06:33:26 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I don't know if Oden and Sully are friends, since there was a half decade of time between their Ohio State careers, but Oden and Courtney Lee are both from Indianapolis and both played together in the summers in Indy.

http://thebreakdownshow.com/the-indy-magnificent-7-their-true-hardwood-heaven-story

Oden is going to sign with an organization that can give him the nest shot to get healthy enough to have an NBA career.  Boston has had a lot of medical issues lately, and they've successfully handled them (although heart issues are a lot different than knee injuries).  It can't hurt that the Cs stood by Jeff Green when his career was in jeopardy, and then took a big leap of faith to sign him to a big contract without even seeing him play a minute after his open heart surgery. 

« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2013, 06:48:56 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

ok, how is this:

Wasn't he limited by a wrist or elbow injury in college?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2013, 07:19:18 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37

The Celtics have met with free agent Greg Oden about a contract.
"We wanted to talk to Greg to see where he is physically," Danny Ainge said. The Celtics are extremely thin in their frontcourt with the loss of Jared Sullinger (back) for the season and even Jason Collins saw 11 minutes of action. Nothing is imminent and owners should just wait and see if anything develops.

Source: Boston Herald Feb 2 - 3:44 PM
Even if signed he wouldn't play this year. Oden is still rehabbing. If signed it would be with an eye for next year, no matter the team.

« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2013, 07:26:32 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
The Celtics, reeling from season-ending injuries to two players in the last week, spent Saturday meeting with Greg Oden to find out where the oft-injured seven-footer stands in his own rehabilitation.

CSNNE.com reports Celtics president Danny Ainge’s characterization of the meeting.

“It was just a chance to get to know Greg a little better,” Ainge, president of basketball operations, told CSNNE.com on Saturday. “We meet with free agents all the time.”

“It was a good conversation,” said Ainge, who added that no contract offer was made to Oden. “When he has been healthy, he has been a good player in our league. Like I said, this was just a chance for us to get to know him better. That’s all.”

The Boston Herald adds more from Ainge.

“We wanted to talk to Greg to see where he is physically,” Ainge said.

“We’re just finding out as much as we can and letting Greg know what we have here,” said Ainge. “He’s not ready to play now, but he’s someone who’s very interesting.”

Oden, 25, is an unrestricted free agent after he was released by the Blazers last year. He is currently rehabilitating from multiple knee surgeries in February 2012, including a second microfracture surgery on his left knee and arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. The Associated Press reported recently that Oden said that his goal is to be ready for the 2013-14 season.

The No. 1 pick in the 2007 NBA Draft has not played in an NBA game since Dec. 5, 2009. Still, he’s drawn interest in recent weeks from a number of teams, including the Spurs, Hornets, Bobcats, Pacers and Mavericks, according to ESPN.com. The Heat have been linked to interest in Oden for years and Oden’s agent, Mike Conley Sr., told Fox Sports Florida recently that there is mutual interest. The Cavaliers have also been linked to Oden in a number of reports, including one by the Akron Beacon Journal this week.

Prior to his round of surgeries in April 2012, Oden also had left knee surgery in 2009 after fracturing his patella, microfracture surgery on his left knee in 2010 to address a “defect” that occurred during non-contact rehabilitation work and a microfracture surgery on his right knee in 2007. Oden also reportedly underwent Orthokine injections on both knees back in May 2012.

There are plenty of reasons to be skeptical of an Oden comeback: he was never consistently healthy during his four-plus seasons in Portland, microfracture surgeries are major surgeries, and he developed blood clots in his left ankle that were considered serious enough to delay his February 2012 surgery. Most [dang]ing, Blazers executives admitted following his latest surgeries that Oden was never cleared for full-contact, five-on-five play at any point following his 2009 fractured patella and that significant swelling and pain prevented him from advancing in his rehabilitation work.

http://nba.si.com/2013/02/02/greg-oden-celtics-boston-danny-ainge-meeting-blazers/

« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2013, 07:29:08 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
they forgot to mention his drinking problem:

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/greg_oden_admits_to_drinking_problem_plans_to_skip_next_year_of_playing_basketball/10757624

Vin Baker-esque

"When I played well, I'd drink to celebrate. And when I played poorly, I'd drink to forget. That second year in Portland I pretty much became an alcoholic."
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 07:37:59 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2013, 07:33:20 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2013, 07:34:26 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37

ok, how is this:

Wasn't he limited by a wrist or elbow injury in college?
Yes, he was a one handed player half his freshman year. I remember him shooting fts with his left hand in a game on tv back then.

« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2013, 09:29:53 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
its a waste of time.  he'll never stay on the court. 

« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2013, 10:36:49 PM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
its a waste of time.  he'll never stay on the court.

Are you a Celtic fan? Cause we all know our lesson from KG: "Anything is Possible!"
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2013, 10:39:59 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
man if he signs here and can somehow stay healthy... what a steal. key words... stay healthy