Author Topic: Why blowing it up is such a terrible idea  (Read 2881 times)

Re: Why blowing it up is such a terrible idea
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 01:08:53 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I look at it like this...I think we have a higher chance to luck out and get a top pick, than win a title.

Yeah, that's pretty much true.  It's always easier to be a loser.  Why compete when you can just quit instead?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 01:09:04 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
I look at it like this...I think we have a higher chance to luck out and get a top pick, than win a title.

They've already won too many games to have any realistic chance at a top pick this year.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 01:16:16 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!

They've already won too many games to have any realistic chance at a top pick this year.

Realistic? Probably, but it's a ton more realistic than us winning a title.

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 01:17:41 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney

Yeah, that's pretty much true.  It's always easier to be a loser.  Why compete when you can just quit instead?

I don't really consider early playoff exits competing, but ok.

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 01:40:13 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45

I don't really consider early playoff exits competing, but ok.

Exactly. A first-round exit from the playoffs just sets the team up for mediocrity. There is a very great chance that KG/PP both retire at the seasons end as well, especially with this let-down kind of outcome.

Ainge should at least offer to them both, the opportunity to be traded to contending teams. How are more people not remembering what happened with Ray Allen last year? I mean, that situation was much different, in that the whole team was available (although very banged up), persisted and was a game away from the finals.

Are we really supposed to expect even this benchmark without Rondo, and now Sullinger? Pierce is nowhere near as consistent as he was last season. Green makes up for some of that lost production. Lee/Terry/Bradley make up for most of Ray Allen being gone.

I dunno, call me negative, or a ship jumper, but I would rather see the rebuilding process catalyzed by making some smart trades now, and getting future assets/picks, as well as a higher pick for 2013/14.

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 02:05:43 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
If Bledsoe and Butler plus a 2013 1st rounder is the best offer out there for Garnett, I'd rather keep KG.

DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 02:06:10 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Keep KG no matter what. Period.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 02:14:46 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Are we in contention for the title this year?   I agree, we are not, some the old guys are likely to retire.   So we blow it up.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 02:17:26 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
If we blow it up we immediately become a bad team that is difficult to watch.

The trade off is that we gain a slim chance to acquire a franchise player who could lead our franchise for the next decade and help us contend for a title (LBJ, Durant, Howard are the only I can think of recently).

I think it's terrible because I don't want to have to sit through years of watching a bad team and bad basketball. How many teams that have blown it up and been successful?
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 02:25:14 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
If we blow it up we immediately become a bad team that is difficult to watch.

The trade off is that we gain a slim chance to acquire a franchise player who could lead our franchise for the next decade and help us contend for a title (LBJ, Durant, Howard are the only I can think of recently).

I think it's terrible because I don't want to have to sit through years of watching a bad team and bad basketball. How many teams that have blown it up and been successful?

At some point we are going to have to get bad to get good again. So I don't see why anyone would want to delay it.

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 02:27:32 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I dont really get the appeal of "blowing it up" likely it means you trade players away for pennys on the dollar. likely taking on bad contracts that will cripple the team for the forseeable future in Hopes of getting a #1 pick.

if it were that simple, teams like the Bobcats, Raptors would be contendors.

I'm also not sure why everyone is under the impression that KG/Pierce will retire after this year...Obviously when KG signed that 3year deal he wasnt thinking "ya im going to retire after this season"

who is to say we cant contend next year? ad with the way we are playing right now heck we could upset a few teams and make a run

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2013, 02:38:25 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
For this current season, since I think they're beyond the point into return in regards to effective tanking, I'd like to see them ride things out and see this team go down in a fight in the playoffs.

Explore the big changes in the offseason.

Blowing it up and praying for ping ping balls is not my cup of tea right now.  Went through that nonsense in the mid 2000s and that blew,

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 02:59:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
if you mean trading PP and KG blowing up ......then yes it sinks........terrible idea.

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2013, 03:35:10 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Blowing it up is really only a good idea when one thinks about it the abstract theoretical sense. 

Trade away aging stars, acquire young building blocks, rebuild towards next dynasty.

Sounds nice. 

But it won't happen.

Only contenders want Pierce or KG, and they want them to get them over the hump, so they won't give up much to get them.  And picks from contending teams essentially mean nothing. 

All we're likely to get is overpaid role players (to make salaries work) that won't net us anything down the road and likely won't even be around a few years from now. 

It's just not worth it.