Author Topic: Stein: Pierce to Clippers Possible, Not Likely  (Read 4529 times)

Stein: Pierce to Clippers Possible, Not Likely
« on: February 02, 2013, 10:00:36 AM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
http://celticfanchat.com/2013/02/02/stein-believes-pierce-to-clippers-is-possible-not-likely/

Trade deadline can't come soon enough... and I hope it finds the Captain still wearing a Celtics jersey!
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...

Re: Stein: Pierce to Clippers Possible, Not Likely
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 10:39:33 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

Marc Stein has been trying to trade PP for a long time now.  It cracks me up  ;D

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 10:42:20 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Bledsoe and expirings just isn't enough for me.

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 10:42:50 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
talk about hedging your bet, "this could happen, but probably won't" lol

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 11:07:06 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
The thing that so many experts forget is that basketball isn't baseball, where one can simply trade an aging star for a bunch of cheap minor league prospects.  If that could happen in basketball, Pierce and KG would probably have been traded long ago. 

The fact that we have to take back equal salary really diminishes most of the value of trading PP or KG.  To compound the problem, unlike say football or baseball where depth is very important, the NBA is a league of stars.  Trading PP or KG for a couple role players really doesn't do much to help our rebuilding process.

To me, most of the trade scenarios being tossed around don't do enough to justify trading away two players of KG and PP's magnitude.  It'd be like if you had to raise a million dollars (getting back to winning a title) and you had 500K already.  Then someone offers you a deal that you don't feel good about and would give you a hit in the short term, but would eventually get you from that 500K to 525K.  Sure, you eventually make a little money, but it gets you nowhere near your goal and you have to feel badly about it.  Just doesn't seem worth it. 

Now, it'd be one thing if someone was offering us the next cornerstone of the franchise for PP or KG.  But that wasn't happening 2-3 years ago, and I can't imagine that is going to happen now. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 11:14:40 AM by Jon »

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 11:31:24 AM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
Does anyone know if it's possible to trade Pierce after the playoffs (around draft time) and a team would still be able to waive his $15M for $4M? If so, DA shouldn't even consider trading PP. Let him finish his carrer here, then trade him around draft time so he can be waived, retire, and never have to suit up for a different team.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 11:59:10 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

To me, most of the trade scenarios being tossed around don't do enough to justify trading away two players of KG and PP's magnitude.  It'd be like if you had to raise a million dollars (getting back to winning a title) and you had 500K already.  Then someone offers you a deal that you don't feel good about and would give you a hit in the short term, but would eventually get you from that 500K to 525K.  Sure, you eventually make a little money, but it gets you nowhere near your goal and you have to feel badly about it.  Just doesn't seem worth it. 

I think getting a prospect like Bledsoe would be more like getting 50k or 100k, but that's just splitting hairs.

Trading for players is like trading for stocks anyway, since it's hard to assess what their value will be over time.  A guy you think might be 200k could be 20k, and a guy you think is just a throw in could end up being worth half a million bucks.

In any case, I think you discount the possibility that some people may see value in getting to watch Pierce or Garnett finish their careers on contending teams, making deep runs into the playoffs.

Most people who feel that way are probably not Celtics fans, but I am one of those people.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 12:03:07 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
what would be do with Bledsoe anyway? He's a FA this summer. We would have to either pay up to re-sign him knowing Rondo comes back in October, or let him go and basically trade Pierce for a half season rental of Bledsoe, which is useless because if we trade Pierce now, the rest of this season is over.

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 12:30:56 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
what would be do with Bledsoe anyway? He's a FA this summer. We would have to either pay up to re-sign him knowing Rondo comes back in October, or let him go and basically trade Pierce for a half season rental of Bledsoe, which is useless because if we trade Pierce now, the rest of this season is over.

And that's my point.  I'm all for trading Pierce or KG if it would actually help the rebuilding process.  But in every scenario that's presented, it doesn't seem like any of the options actually will make any sort of meaningful addition in the long term rebuilding process.

The best option may just be to keep PP and KG, keep the team at least respectable so we don't get the terrible FA reputation we had in the '90s and early 2000s, and then see what we can do with development, drafting, free agency, and other trades over the next year or two. 

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 12:42:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

The idea, I'm sure, would be to re-sign him.  I don't think he's established his value enough that we could expect him to demand a ton of money.  Maybe give him a big one year deal to prove his value, considering he'd probably play a large role with Rondo working his way back most of next season.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 01:13:26 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
The thing that so many experts forget is that basketball isn't baseball, where one can simply trade an aging star for a bunch of cheap minor league prospects.  If that could happen in basketball, Pierce and KG would probably have been traded long ago.

It used to be like that. It just took an expiring deal. Yet another way the league screwed the Celtics: Amnesty Clause.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 01:17:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

It used to be like that. It just took an expiring deal. Yet another way the league screwed the Celtics: Amnesty Clause.

Luckily that's just a short term thing.

But the amnesty clause did kind of screw over teams that had actually made a point of NOT signing players to horrible contracts for the 3-4 years prior to the CBA.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 01:18:41 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155

But the amnesty clause did kind of screw over teams that had actually made a point of NOT signing players to horrible contracts for the 3-4 years prior to the CBA.

Teams like the Celtics, that is.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 01:20:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Right.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 02:00:20 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51

Right.
Ainge shoulda signed me to a max deal of 5 yrs, amnestied me shortly after so he could use his amnesty, and I would have split the money with Him, Austin,Doc,Myself & the rest goes to Celticsblog! This way we all make out like bandits.