Author Topic: Did Doc hand Rondo the keys too soon?  (Read 1763 times)

Did Doc hand Rondo the keys too soon?
« on: February 02, 2013, 09:17:54 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
First off, I DO NOT want this to be a 'bash Rondo' thread.  This is merely an observation I'm making.

I love that Rondo is an on-court coach, but there were times when I wished Doc would start calling plays as Rondo took the ball up the court.  You know, just so we were running a set that would most likely succeed, instead of spending seven or eight seconds having Rondo get people in their spots.

I think there are also times where nobody on the floor is on the same page as Rondo.  It seems like he's running one thing, and the team is reacting to his movement, often getting in his way.

So my question is: did Doc give the offense to Rondo too soon?  Rondo is a great master controller, but every now and again he tries to do too much of what he wants, instead of what's maybe best for the team.

These past three games I've noticed that everyone has a better understanding of where to be, what's going on, AND everyone's getting a chance to create and score.  This is not to say we're better with Rondo, but maybe that having Doc call plays helps.

Thoughts?

Re: Did Doc hand Rondo the keys too soon?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 09:22:27 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
First off, I DO NOT want this to be a 'bash Rondo' thread.  This is merely an observation I'm making.

I love that Rondo is an on-court coach, but there were times when I wished Doc would start calling plays as Rondo took the ball up the court.  You know, just so we were running a set that would most likely succeed, instead of spending seven or eight seconds having Rondo get people in their spots.

I think there are also times where nobody on the floor is on the same page as Rondo.  It seems like he's running one thing, and the team is reacting to his movement, often getting in his way.

So my question is: did Doc give the offense to Rondo too soon?  Rondo is a great master controller, but every now and again he tries to do too much of what he wants, instead of what's maybe best for the team.

These past three games I've noticed that everyone has a better understanding of where to be, what's going on, AND everyone's getting a chance to create and score.  This is not to say we're better with Rondo, but maybe that having Doc call plays helps.

Thoughts?

I don't think having Doc call out the plays to Rondo would have been the answer, but yeah, some more effective coaching of his approach to both offense and defense this year would have been helpful.

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 09:37:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No but someone handed you, your blog ones too soon.

Rondo was x 10 better than Telfairy.  We won a ring shortly after he was handed the keys.

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 09:41:42 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
No but someone handed you, your blog ones too soon.

Rondo was x 10 better than Telfairy.  We won a ring shortly after he was handed the keys.

By "handing the keys," I'm talking about total control of the offense.  Rondo didn't have that until 2011 or 2012.

And yes, Telfair was horrible.  Don't remind me.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 09:52:24 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Thoughts?

We made it to game 7 of the ECF last year. Obviously it wasn't too soon.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 11:31:17 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
Doc never got control of Rondo. Rondo was over controlling the play. Worked well the 1st 2 seasons with the Big 3 because they could score big time. When Allen left Rondo was exposed. Doc always plays it safe to cover his arse. This hid his lack of capabilities. He was and is again a 500 Coach long term. Garnett made him initially look like the 2nd coming.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 11:45:16 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Doc never got control of Rondo. Rondo was over controlling the play. Worked well the 1st 2 seasons with the Big 3 because they could score big time. When Allen left Rondo was exposed.

By Rondo being "exposed" without Ray are you referring to when Bradley started over him last year and how he was putting up more assists over the last 20 or so games of that season than any active point guard ever has over the same span and the Celts having 1 of the best TS% in the league? Or did you mean this year, when Ray was in Miami, Rondo was putting up more assists than anyone currently playing in the league (aside from Rondo) ever has over the first part of the year while the Celts had a top 5 TS%? If so, I'd agree.

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 11:53:48 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
The only thing I wasn't a fan of and not sure if it affected anything one way or another was this whole "rondo is the leader of the team" thing.

They kept force feeding it to the media (and maybe the team?) and I think they put Rondo and the team under pressure in that way. It wasn't like they just said it this year, it's been for a couple years now.

If we were such a "team" do we really need to keep pointing out that Rondo is the "leader"? And if he is the leader why the need to point it out repeatably instead of letting his play and leadership do the talking?

Again I don't know if this affected anything I just didn't know why they kept beating that drum especially when it didn't necessarily seem like Rondo was embracing it exactly.

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 04:13:04 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
even if rondo has the keys and is in the driver's seat, the car will always belong to pierce and kg as long as they are celtics

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 04:20:49 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
Doc never got control of Rondo. Rondo was over controlling the play. Worked well the 1st 2 seasons with the Big 3 because they could score big time. When Allen left Rondo was exposed.

By Rondo being "exposed" without Ray are you referring to when Bradley started over him last year and how he was putting up more assists over the last 20 or so games of that season than any active point guard ever has over the same span and the Celts having 1 of the best TS% in the league? Or did you mean this year, when Ray was in Miami, Rondo was putting up more assists than anyone currently playing in the league (aside from Rondo) ever has over the first part of the year while the Celts had a top 5 TS%? If so, I'd agree.

Good points, but would you agree that there are stretches where guys are just standing around and Rondo is trying to run a set nobody knows?  It's happened at least once or twice a game.

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 04:21:06 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
even if rondo has the keys and is in the driver's seat, the car will always belong to pierce and kg as long as they are celtics

Agree,  TP.

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 04:24:13 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
the problem IMO is Doc didn't adapt to the new personnel that were brought in...the offense ran like it was the same one we had last year..

Jason Terry is not Ray allen...its no wonder he struggled running around a million screens while rondo held the ball. Look, now he is handeling the ball more and running the pick & roll like he did in dallas and he's thriving.