Author Topic: Which school will be Nat. Champions if current NBA pros play for their schools?  (Read 17490 times)

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The OP does say "school" and not conference, so UNC would have a pretty solid contribution:

1  Jerry Stackhouse - Brooklyn Nets
2  Rasheed Wallace - New York Knicks
3  Vince Carter - Dallas Mavericks
4  Antawn Jamison - Los Angeles Lakers
5  Brendan Haywood - Charlotte Bobcats
6  Raymond Felton - New York Knicks
7  Marvin Williams - Utah Jazz
8  Tyler Hansbrough - Indiana Pacers
9  Danny Green - San Antonio Spurs
10  Brandan Wright - Dallas Mavericks
11  Ty Lawson - Denver Nuggets
12  Wayne Ellington - Cleveland Cavaliers
13  Ed Davis - Memphis Grizzlies
14  Tyler Zeller - Cleveland Cavaliers
15  John Henson - Milwaukee Bucks
16  Harrison Barnes - Golden State Warriors
17  Kendall Marshall - Phoenix Suns

Will this lineup beat the other schools though? I see Kentucky's and Kansas beating this team up in the Sweet Sixteen.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
North Carolina and Kentucky would be the two teams I would pick and I hate all things ACC and SEC. 

And by the way, I thought this was going to be if there wasn't early entry and everyone stayed 4 years.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 08:50:03 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
North Carolina and Kentucky would be the two teams I would pick and I hate all things ACC and SEC. 

And by the way, I thought this was going to be if there wasn't early entry and everyone stayed 4 years.

Not like that Moranis. The idea is if the NCAA will allow the pro's tonplay for their respective schools right now, who would have the best chance.

Kentucky is certainly there, I doubt UNC will make it. Their talent pool compare to the other achools are not on par. They may have one of the most players who went pro,  but I see no star power in that lineup.

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The OP does say "school" and not conference, so UNC would have a pretty solid contribution:

They sure are deep, but there's nobody on that list that's currently a top level NBA talent.  They couldn't beat Durant and Aldridge's Texas squad or Paul and Duncan's Wake Forest team.  Kentucky would have a talented, young front line, but without their starting point guard, I don't think they could pull it off.  UCLA would be a contender with the trio of Westbrook, Holiday, and Love.

I still think that the finals would be the Internationals vs. the High Schoolers, though. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

They sure are deep, but there's nobody on that list that's currently a top level NBA talent.  They couldn't beat Durant and Aldridge's Texas squad or Paul and Duncan's Wake Forest team.  Kentucky would have a talented, young front line, but without their starting point guard, I don't think they could pull it off.  UCLA would be a contender with the trio of Westbrook, Holiday, and Love.

I still think that the finals would be the Internationals vs. the High Schoolers, though.

I think that UNC team would not beat Georgia Tech with Bosh, Favors, Jack, Shumpert.

I'm really starting to like Wake Forest here.

Paul, Duncan, Teague, Aminu, James Johnson and to some extent Josh Howard and Darius Songaila. Thats one tough team.

While I lime the idea. The internationals would be banned from NCAA since they played pros already. The high schoolers though, very intriguing. I think the HS guys are clear favorites but they did not go to college so no March Madness for them.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:59:43 AM by Yoki_IsTheName »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Yeah UNC would have won this 5 years ago, now it's more Kentucky's to lose.
do it

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Yeah UNC would have won this 5 years ago, now it's more Kentucky's to lose.
In the college game, I think UNC's depth would play in a lot more than it does in the pros.  That UNC team would be able to run up and down the floor.  They have a lot of size and a lot of speed.  Shooters, passers, etc.  They also have a very strong mix of older veterans and young up and comers.  I think they would be a very strong final four contender. 

Wake Forest and Georgia Tech have like 7 players in the league and thus would be filled with a bunch of college players.  And sure they have great starting lineups, but what happens when Duncan gets in foul trouble or gets dinged up.  Same thing with Ga Tech, I mean they are Bosh and Favors and a bunch of little guys.  To win this type of thing you have to have talent, sure, but you also have to have depth.

The top 4 in my mind are Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA , and North Carolina.  Texas, Florida, Duke, and Connecticut should round out the top 8 and certainly any of those 8 could realistically win this thing.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
The high schoolers though, very intriguing. I think the HS guys are clear favorites but they did not go to college so no March Madness for them.

The problem with going with the high school team, is people are using a completely different criteria to put together that team.

You can't do all high school-to-pro players, compared to one specific college team.  It should either be one specific high school compared to one specific college, or all high school players vs all college players.

So Oak Hill vs any college team.  (Could any high school team other than Oak Hill field a team?).

Or all high schoolers vs all college players.

Hey I like the odds of an all college team against the all high school team or an all foreign team (of course you can add/drop as you see fit)

PG: Paul/Rose/Irving/Rondo
SG: Wade/Harden
SF: Durant/Anthony
PF: Griffin/Duncan
C: Horford/Bogut/Lopez/Hibbert

Of course that's not exactly fair either, because since 2006 players couldn't go straight to the NBA anymore, but I still like the odds of a pre-2006 high school graduation match-up between guys who went to college vs guys who went straight to pros.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
(poster warning: long but interesting read).

Since I'm too sick to go outside, but too healthy to just lie down, I'm revamping this debate and just put all the schools in.

We will list the schools and their current NBA pros, a minimum of 5 players should be in each school. If a school doesn't have enough NBA'ers, but have FA's and players playing currently overseas, we will add them. Of course if it can't make 5 in any way, they are out (will not be listed). We will do justice for the Mid Majors as well. Since MM's dont have schools who have enough players to contend by themselves, we will do an All Conference, so they can join. (If a school inst listed, means not enough players)

This is the Parallel Univers NCAA Tourney, for all the school pride and bragging rights of the best schools to produce/conference to produce NBA pro's. Question now is, who's your #1 seeds, your Final Four, and your National Champion. NBA rules but Zone Defenses are allowed. Here we go...

A-10:
All Atlantic 10
Lavoy Allen, Camby, Jor. Crawford, G.Hayward, E.Maynor, G.Neal, J.Nelson, A.Nicholson, L.Odom, Brian Roberts, L.Sanders, David West

ACC
Duke
Battier, Boozer, Brand, Deng, Duhon, Dunleavy, G.Henderson, Grant Hill, Irving, Dahntay Jones, Maggette, McRoberts, Plumlee, Reddick, A.Rivers, Singler, Nolan Smith, Lance Thomas, Elliot Williams, Scheyer
Florida State
Toney Douglas, Bernard James, Chris Singleton, Al Thornton, Von Wafer, Solomon Alabi
Georgia Tech
Bosh, Favors, Jack, Shumpert, Morrow, Thad Young, Will Bynum
Maryland
Vasquez, Chris Wilcox, Steve Blake, Jordan Williams, Jasikevicius, DJ Starwberry
North Carolina
Barnes, V.Carter, Ed Davis, Ellington, Felton, Danny Green, T.Hansbrough, Haywood, Henson, Jamiosn, K.Marshall, Lawson, Stackhouse, Sheed, Brandan Wright, T.Zeller, Marvin Williams
Wake Forest
Paul, Duncan, Aminu, James Johnson, J. Teague, Ish Smith

BIG 12
Baylor
Udoh, Jones III, Quincy Acy, Quincy Miller, John Lucas III
Kansas
Aldrich, D. Arthur, Chalmers, Collison, Gooede, X.Henry, Hinrich, MOrris Twins, Pierce, T.Robinson, B.Rush, Selby, Tyshawn Taylor
Oklahoma State
James Anderson, Tony Allen, Terell Harris, Joey and Stephen Graham, Ivan McFarlin
Texas
Aldridge, Augustin, Avery Bradley, Durant, Daniel Gibson, Jordan Hamilton, C.Joseph, Ivey, Pittman, Tristan Thompson, PJ Tucker

BIG EAST
Cincinnati
Kenyon Martin, Maxiell, Lance Stephenson, DerMarr Johnshon, James White
Connecticut
Adrien, Ray Allen, Caron Butler, Drummond, Gay, Ben Gordon, Rip Hamilton, Jeremy Lamb, Okafor, AJ Price, Thabeet, Villanueva, Kemba Walker
Georgetown
Jeff Green, Hibbert, Monroe, Chris Wright, Austin Freeman, Pat Ewing JR.
Louisville
Earl Clark, Terrence Williams, Samardo Samuels, Jerry Smith, F.Garcia
Marquette
Wade, W.Mathews, Novak, Crowder, Jimmy Butler, Lazar Hayward, Darius Johnson-Odom
St, Johns
Harkless, World Peace, DJ Kennedy, Cedric Jackson, Omar Cook
Syracuse
C.Anthony, Melo, Jonny Flynn, Eric Devendorf, Paul Harris, Wesley Johnson, Warick, Waiters, Donte Green, Kris Joseph, Andy Rautins
Villanova
Kyle Lowry, Dante Cunningham, Scottie Reynolds, Maalik Wayns, Randy Foye, Malik Allen

BIG 10
Illinois
Deron Williams, Meyers Leonard, James Augustine, Brian Cook, Luther Head
Michigan
Jamal Crawford, Manny Harris, Darius MOrris, Juwan Howard, Chris Hunter
Michigan State
Draymond Green, Zach Randolph, Shannon Brown, Alan Anderson, Jason Richardson
Ohio State
Koufos, Mullens, Oden, Evan Turner, COnley Jr., Sullinger, Diebler
Wisconsin
Leuer, Devin Harris, Steimsma, Alando Tucker, Marcus Landry

CONFERENCE USA
Memphis
Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, Will Barton, Robert Dozier, Earl Barron, Rodney Carney, Douglas-Roberts

MOUNTAIN WEST
All MWC Team
Danny Granger, Joel Anthony, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, JaVale McGee, Greg Smith, Jason Smith, Ramon Sessions, Shawn Marion, Luke Babbit

PAC 12
Arizona
Bayless, Budinger, Frye, Jordan Hill, Iguodala, Richard Jefferson, Derrick Williams, Luke Walton
California
Kidd, Ryan Anderson, Powe, Dominic McGuire, Elson
Colorado
Billups, Alec Burks, Chris Copeland, Xavier Silas, Cory Higgins
Standford
Lopez Twins, Fields, Collins Twins, Josh Childress
UCLA
Afflalo, Matt Barnes, Ariza, Darren Collison, Jrue Holiday, Ryan Hollins, Honeycutt, Malcolm Lee, Love, Mbah a Moute, Earl Watson, Westbrook,
USC
DeRozan, Vucevic, Taj Gisbon, Nick Young, Mayo, Pruitt
Washington
Hawes, Nate Robinson, Terrence Ross, Wroten, Pondeter, Isaiah Thomas, Jon Brockman

SEC
Arkansas
Patrick Beverly, Joe Johnson, Ronnie Brewer, Steven Hill, Jannero Pargo, Sonny Weems
Florida
Beal, Bonner, Corey Brewer, Horford, Haslem, Mike Miller, David Lee, Noah, Parson, Speights, James White
Kentucky
Bledsoe, Bogans, Cousins, Anthony Davis, Chuck Hayes, Terrence Jones, Kanter, Kidd-Gilchrist, Brandon Knight, Doron Lamb, Liggins, Meeks, Mohammed, Orton, Patrick Patterson, Prince, Rondo, Marquise Teague, Wall
LSU
Bass, Marcus Thornton, Anthony Randolph, Glen Davis, Tyrus Thomas, Garret Temple
Texas A&M
DeAndre Jordan, Middleton, Acie Law, Donald Sloan, Antoine Wright
Vanderbilt
Ezeli, Jeff Taylor, Jenkins, Ogilvy, Derrick Byars

WCC
All WCC Team
Fredette, Nash, Daye, Orlando Johnson, Sacre, Turiaf, Patty Mills

So, who's the Final Four? Who can upset who?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:02:17 PM by Yoki_IsTheName »

Offline michaelgray

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
I am sure it has already been mentioned but look at what Kentucky has done in the NBA right now.

PG: Rajon Rondo, John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, Brandon Knight, Marquis Teague

SG: Keith Bogans, Jodie Meeks, DeAndre Liggins, Doron Lamb

SF: Tayshaun Prince, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Darius Miller

PF: Patrick Patterson, Anthony Davis, Terrence Jones

C: Nazr Mohammed, Chuck Hayes, Demarcus Cousins, Daniel Orton, Enes Kanter (if you count him), Josh Harrellson

That is a pretty raw roster if you ask me, by no means no elite shooting guards, but the point guards could make up for that.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
edit:

UCONN, Texas, Kentucky and Kansas is my FInal Four here.

I'm leaning towards picking UCLA because of the talent but I think Kansas is more cohesive. I got Duke at first, but when I looked at the lineups the second time, I think UCONN takes the cake there. All MWC team will give everyone a run for their money as well.

Marquette would be my Dark Horse.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:11:56 PM by Yoki_IsTheName »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
TP, Yoki.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
SO i'm in my college ball spirit today, watching some small conferences play their way into the tournament. Since it's halftime, I wanted to come back here and put my answers to the questions I had when I started this.

I think with the lineups set. The #1's would be Kentucky, Texas, Wake Forest and UCONN.

I think those four stand out. Lineups are complete, has size and star power in case someone needs to take over. In UCONN's case, that lineup just looks tough and rugged and while they don't have a big star who can take over (unless you count Rudy Gay), they have very good players in every position possible.

Kansas, Duke, All MWC and Georgia Tech (surprise) I think are number 2's. I think it's debatable to put Syracuse in here as well. They're a sneaky one, complete lineup and star power as well. I put Georgia Tech and All MWC ahead because I believe they have better defenses.

So 'Cuse, Florida (who is my pick to win it all, changed my mind), UCLA and Ohio State are my #3's. I would have got UCLA at #1 if not for them lacking depth in the bigs. Florida is a dark horse at three, only reason I put them below others is the lack of depth at the wings. Ohio State I think is also a sneaky team I think. They have size and their bigs rebound and can shoot with range.

Then I'll round out by putting Washington, UNC, G'Town and Marquette as my #4's. Marquette to me is intriguing as because they don't have a ton of size, but their wings can shut others down. G'Town has no star power but a TON of size, I just don't see anyone from that team handling a big scoring load. Washington is too athletic, they will run and gun, but as like other teams, no scoring threat. UNC is just middle all around. Size and depth in all position but no one is really dominant. Thought about putting Arizona here as well.

I'm still sticking with the Final Four predictions of Texas, Kansas, UCONN and Kentucky. I think Texas wins the Tournament though. DUrant and Aldridge would be just too much, and then you have a defensive lock down guard in Bradley. Tucker is not bad as well on defense. They have enough size.

Texas wins it.

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Kentucky kills'em:

PG: Rondo, Wall, Bledsoe
SG:Meeks, Knight
SF: Tayshaun, MKG
PF: Anthony Davis, Patrick Patterson
C: Cousins, Kanter, Harrelson

Too much talent at Florida's weak spots.

Noah and Horford will kill this team inside. Brewer can defend either Tayshaun or Meeks. I think Rondon and Wall would be a problem.

Neither Noah nor Horford are dominant scorers, meanwhile the guard play from UK just kills'em.
Plus, Davis can play defense and Cousins has some strength inside. I don't see how the Florida bigs dominate them.

Side note - Horford starts over Lee.

Rondo, Prince and Davis is the foundation for a pretty good defense.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Kentucky kills'em:

PG: Rondo, Wall, Bledsoe
SG:Meeks, Knight
SF: Tayshaun, MKG
PF: Anthony Davis, Patrick Patterson
C: Cousins, Kanter, Harrelson

Too much talent at Florida's weak spots.

Noah and Horford will kill this team inside. Brewer can defend either Tayshaun or Meeks. I think Rondon and Wall would be a problem.

Neither Noah nor Horford are dominant scorers, meanwhile the guard play from UK just kills'em.
Plus, Davis can play defense and Cousins has some strength inside. I don't see how the Florida bigs dominate them.

Side note - Horford starts over Lee.

Rondo, Prince and Davis is the foundation for a pretty good defense.

Yeah I kind of retracted with my Florida pick already. I agree that UK kills this team all out. Hence, why I made them a 3 seed.