Author Topic: LeBron James doesn’t think it’s possible to be paid his actual value under CBA  (Read 14335 times)

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
if i could make 1 percent of what he makes, i would be a happy man

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
He is right.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
All these guys are over paid and should be thankful for the money they make.  They play a kid's game for a living.   I for one think they are over compensated.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
All these guys are over paid and should be thankful for the money they make.  They play a kid's game for a living.   I for one think they are over compensated.

At the same time, though, they're the key pieces in a multi-billion dollar industry.

Sure, in a perfect world sports and entertainment figures wouldn't be the world's highest paid people.  However, when those people are generating the revenue they do, it's to be expected.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

At the same time, though, they're the key pieces in a multi-billion dollar industry.

Sure, in a perfect world sports and entertainment figures wouldn't be the world's highest paid people.  However, when those people are generating the revenue they do, it's to be expected.

Couldn't have said it better.

I find it puzzling that we take this attitude in America when we are often so against the CEOs and people at the top abusing power and taking all the profit.  The money is coming in... so if the players don't get it, they would.  Is that what we are asking for instead?

It's simple economics and the fact is these athletes are playing a game, sure, but its one of the hardest things to accomplish, having their job.  They deserve the pay.

If the money isn't there, you see lower salaries, like in hockey.  It's a business.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
if i could make 1 percent of what he makes, i would be a happy man

Not if the service you were providing your employer was possibly worth double what he's making.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
He's right but he's also playing in a structure that was collectively bargained for by his own union & the NBA.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

He's right but he's also playing in a structure that was collectively bargained for by his own union/ trade association & the NBA.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
I don't like Lebron, but Lebron is 100% correct.  The CBA has put a maximum on what a player's contract can be.  Unfortunately for Lebron, he is such an amazing player that his worth as a player is waaaayyy over that maximum that the league has set.

It isn't about making sure that you're getting paid millions of dollars.  It's about the principle - that in fact - the league is in fact underpaying him, and thus he feels like he is being stolen from/taken advantage of... which he is. 

Of course I understand that it was bargained for by the players association, but nevertheless, it doesn't take away from the facts that I have pointed out above, and that Lebron is 100% correct.  He's not being cocky, he's being realistic.

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
if there is a guy that could command a ridiculous salary its lebron. Guy is clearly the best in the league. He leads (arguably) the best team in 3 different categories

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't think he is complaining.

He and the other few true stars agreed to take a smaller piece of the pie so other guys could be overpayed.

And there are truly only a few of these type of stars.  The ones that brings fans to the TV and the store.

As of right now:

Lebron
Durrant
Kobe
Paul
Howard
Wade
Probably Blake

And if these teams are good:
Boston
LA Lakers
NY Knicks

And we are not talking the hardcore NBA fan that are there no matter what.  We are talking about the casual fan the the NBA (and other professional sports) work so hard for. 

Offline Chelm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
I don't think he was complaining about it, he was complaining about not getting credit for sacrificing his own pay for the good of the team. Still whining, but a totally different sort of whining.

How is he sacrificing his pay for the good of the team? Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't he payed the MAX?

It's one thing to not be paid what you're valued due to rules of the association, is another to leave money on the table that you could have gotten from your team in order to make the team better.
He is not paid the max.  He took less so they could sign Bosh as well (who also took sub-max).

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Lebron is right.  But, he has no one but his fellow players to blame.  It is the PLAYERS who want the max salaries, because that helps to spread the pie more evenly. 

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So, how much money will he be able to make if the league didn't exist in its current form? Yeah, I thought so.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
So, how much money will he be able to make if the league didn't exist in its current form? Yeah, I thought so.

And how much money would the league lose if all the top stars disappeared? 

Notice he is not asking for more money.  Just stating an opinion (which I think he is right about)