Author Topic: LeBron James doesn’t think it’s possible to be paid his actual value under CBA  (Read 14286 times)

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
In the news recently, Lebron discussed how he is vastly underpaid. I think he is right. If basketball was like baseball and didn't have a salary cap, how much would Lebron command a year? I'm thinking $30-40 million sounds about right...

Now, him bringing this topic up is a whole other story.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He's right.  Michael Jordan got paid $33 million, and that was like 15 years ago.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Eigild

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Of course he is underpaid if we talk actual market value. But why does he have to brack about and let us now? It lefts a bad taste and yet again doesn't leave him in the best light. It is estimated he earns around 40 mio. $ a year in sponsorships etc.
A good take on it http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/02/01/lebron-james-contract-underpaid-miami-heat-nba/1885161/

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Bron is right. .     I don't really think it is fair for the NBA to tell limit the pay the players can earn.

no one tells Tiger Woods he has a pay cap.

Paying players is how you build a team.......seems wrong to limit what they can earn.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't think he was complaining about it, he was complaining about not getting credit for sacrificing his own pay for the good of the team. Still whining, but a totally different sort of whining.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
He's right.  Michael Jordan got paid $33 million, and that was like 15 years ago.

Jordan got payed that the last two seasons he played with the Bulls. And that was after winning 4 championships. Lebron only has one, and failed two other times.

Before that he made 4 million max. So Lebron can't really say much, even with inflation Jordan got payed less, but actually earned his big pay off his last couple seasons...

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

He definitely is right...agreed.

But Michael Jordan earned that 33 million making role player money nowadays throughout most of his early career.

Just look at kgs earnings in his NBA career...well above what Lebron will ever get.

Buttttt hard to feel bad when he makes triple what he makes in the NBA in endorsements

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Bron is right. .     I don't really think it is fair for the NBA to tell limit the pay the players can earn.

no one tells Tiger Woods he has a pay cap.

Paying players is how you build a team.......seems wrong to limit what they can earn.

LeBron could always go and play golf then.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
He's vastly underpaid. Too bad he was young.

Basketball and marketing alone, what he brings to the team, very underpaid.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
The thing is with the new cap now it makes it so every team has a shot of getting a superstar and compete.

So in a couple years he will be getting his value by NBA standards in a sense.

Its also hard to say what his value is when he's playing with two other all stars that can help carry the team. If Im paying a single player 40 mill, he would need to be able to carry the team with support players and maybe a Robin type player, and never loose to the Wizards, or twice to the bucks.

Most people don't get to do what they like to in life for a job, even less have jobs they enjoy. So for him to complain about not getting value in a time when most people took pay cuts to keep their jobs, or other people who use to make 70 grand a year now make 30 is a tasteless statement to make.

He also complained that he wouldn't get to watch the Superbowl because the team plane doesn't have tv.

Well heres two options Queen James. You come to my house, and watch the game, and I'll suit up and take you place and get payed your check for the game which will be more then i make in 15-20 years, I'd miss the bowl just you can see it, it would be my sacrifice for the Queendom.

Or not take the team flight, book on on Jet Blue and watch the game on their in flight tv, and Dunkin Doughnuts so you should be all good.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I don't think he was complaining about it, he was complaining about not getting credit for sacrificing his own pay for the good of the team. Still whining, but a totally different sort of whining.

The issue isn't that he's sacrificing a million a year or whatever, the issue is that he's worth at least double what he gets. It's a huge advantage for teams that have actual franchise players. Think about it, next year Josh Smith could be making comparable money to James. Who would you rather have?

Imagine if you had the cap but eliminated the max salary. Someone would have offered James well more than the Heat did. Miami may have been able to sign him but would have lost 1 of Bosh or Wade in the process. It would be a more wide open league, with teams that had no superstars able to compete with teams that had those stars because of the quality of the rest of the roster.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
$60 million per annum

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584

Send him to the Lakers (large market team used to overpaying its stars), let him be taxed at 13.5 % by California, while paying him what he is worth.  California's budget woes solved.   ;)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
There really are some haters here. He was asked the question, he didn't brag about it.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk