Author Topic: Trade Terry, Keep Bass  (Read 1549 times)

Trade Terry, Keep Bass
« on: February 02, 2013, 04:45:21 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Now that Jared Sullinger is out for the season ( :'(), Bass and Jeff Green should both get a lot of playing time at PF.  That's not such a bad thing, because it means both players will get more opportunities to rehab their value.  Either they prove they can be a part of the team's plans moving forward, or they make themselves more palatable as trade targets for other teams.  In any case, while previously Bass was blocking Sullinger, now we need him to play.  So it makes more sense to keep him.

Jason Terry, on the other hand, is 35 and only getting older.  His value isn't going to get higher.  A playoff team might still look to give up something of minor value in order to add a veteran shooter with a history of making big shots in big games.

Any proposed Terry trade should accomplish two things:

1. Help get the Celtics under the luxury tax for this season.  This is important because the Celtics don't want to be dipping into the luxury (and thus risk the repeater penalty in future seasons) for the sake of fielding what is at this point a borderline playoff squad.  This means the incoming salary should be significantly less than the outgoing -- $1-1.5 million less, ideally.

2. Get the Celtics a young[ish] piece or two who can perhaps earn some playing time on a team suddenly desperate for healthy bodies, and perhaps make a case to be kept around in the future.  Ideally an expiring contract.

A team that will want Terry will be:

a) looking to be competitive this season. forget about teams way out of playoff contention.
b) not protecting cap space in the future. this eliminates teams like Atlanta and Dallas.
c) lacking shooters, particularly competent scoring ballhandlers off the bench.

With those things in mind, 5 Terry trade ideas:

#1: Terry to Memphis

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=atywtas

Terry + Collins

for

Tony Wroten
(Grizzlies use trade exception from Gay trade to take on Terry)

Grizzlies get a needed defensive center backup (Marc Gasol is currently the only center on their roster) and, more importantly, a veteran, ball-handling shooter to come in off the bench.  Right now Bayless is pretty much their only bench scorer with the ability to create offense for himself or others.  The Grizz can afford to take on some salary now that they've rid themselves of Gay.

The Celtics get what is essentially a late first round pick in the form of Wroten, a raw but talented combo guard prospect who could earn some significant playing time over the rest of the season.

#2: Terry to Indiana

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a7bpb47

Terry

for

D.J. Augustin

This saves the Celtics exactly $1.5 million and gives them a bit more of a pure point guard (compared to Terry) to back up Bradley.  The Pacers get a more reliable, efficient, and experienced veteran to stabilize their bench unit and give them some scoring they desperately need.

#3: Terry to Denver

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b4dkrq6

Terry

for

Timofey Mozgov
(Nuggets use trade exception from Nene)

Celtics get a (raw) backup center prospect they can use.  He's an expiring so they can keep him or let him go after the season.  Mozgov is currently buried behind Koufos and McGee in the Nuggets' rotation.

The Nuggets are (very) heavy on big wings like Brewer, Chandler, Iguodala, and Gallinari, but they don't have any competent, smaller ball-handling guards other than Lawson and Miller.  They also really lack reliable outside shooters.  Lawson is the only one of the aforementioned bunch who can shoot consistently from outside.  Terry would help their playoff push.

#4: Terry to Brooklyn

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bausbxh

Terry + Collins

for

Teletovic + Taylor + Shengelia

Celtics get a few prospects (a guard and a couple of forwards).  Teletovic is the most NBA-ready; he's a stretch big, sort of like a poor man's Ryan Anderson.

Brooklyn gets an experienced veteran bench scorer who is a more reliable shooter and scorer than Watson, Bogans, Stackhouse, or Brooks.  Collin is included because the Nets could use a backup center who can play some defense (something neither Lopez nor Blatche can do) in case they come up against a team with post scorers.

None of the players they're trading away are significant rotation contributors for them.  They're looking to win right now and the East looks pretty wide open for them.  A run to the ECF, or even the Finals if they get hot, could be in the cards.  Hence a win-now move like this makes sense.

#4. Terry to Houston

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bcsyahs

Terry

for

Cole Aldrich + 2nd round pick

This trade is a bit more of a stretch, because Houston isn't so much in "win now" mode as a super young team.  But they could use a backup SG, and they also lack veteran leaders.  They're also probably headed for the playoffs.  They have bigs to spare and cap room, too.  This doesn't seem too far fetched.

The Celtics save money and get a center prospect who is also an expiring contract.  Aldrich hasn't made a great case for himself to stick around in the league, but maybe he can make a case for a chance on the Celtics.  A second round pick from the Rockets could sweeten the deal, but it would still be a decent deal for the Cs if the Rockets weren't willing to include one.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Trade Terry, Keep Bass
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 04:46:22 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Weird double post.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:51:43 AM by PhoSita »
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 08:38:34 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Bass is expendable.   We certainly need him but if I got a worthy offer from ( and I don't we do) I would take it.  6'8" PF are always risky.   He can't rebound that well either.

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 08:43:21 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
With Sully gone, Bass is no longer expendable. Should only be traded for the right deal.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 08:55:01 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
With Sully gone, Bass is no longer expendable. Should only be traded for the right deal.

agree. we just lost our 2nd best big man in sully. bass is now our 2nd best *gulp*

we needed a big guy even if we still had sully. now we need two big guys. danny has some work to do. we need a 4 and a 5. we have nothing behind KG. wilcox looks terrible as does collins. we need help quickly. and no, keep terry. we need all our guards now with rondo out.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 11:54:37 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I think Bass is expendable.   We certainly need him but if I got a worthy offer from ( and I don't we do) I would take it.  6'8" PF are always risky.   He can't rebound that well either.

To me it's not whether he's expendable or not.  I think he's expendable just because winning no longer matters.

But now that Sullinger isn't playing, we can play Bass 30-35 minutes a night and hopefully allow him to regain some value.  After all, it's much better to sell high than to sell low.
- Mark Twain