Author Topic: So Melo could be worse that Collins  (Read 9651 times)

Re: So Melo could be worse that Collins
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2013, 06:59:24 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
For the record, I'm not calling Melo a bust.  I think he was obviously nervous and it showed.  My ONLY point was to say that right now, at this moment, that Collins is better prepared to help the Celts than Melo.
I agree but still it wouldn't hurt him to get some garbage time minutes here and there, a rookie will be a rookie let him get his feet wet and make some mistakes to learn from. It's not like were super deep.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2013, 07:07:17 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
This might be one of the most unfair threads i've ever seen on CB. Then against i've seen them for every rookie for the past 5 years.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=51998.0

That's the worst.

yep. that one was pretty terrible. reliving it is a good idea for cb posters one and all. thanks for the trip down memory lane.

as for melo, after watching his red claw videos it is clear his game is NOT ready for the nba yet.

but it is also clear, to me, that he has physical abilities and can become a nba center. how good a center is the key question.

he blocks very well. he now does a decent job of boxing out. give him time and he will do that at the nba level as well.

he has developed a decent jump shot where none existed before. his hook shot will be a nice one in a few years. he is showing me that he can learn to be better.

right now, he is better than perk on offense in terms of abilities.

rebounding...he has to learn to go after those a LOT more. now, he seems to sit under the basket and wait to block shots.

i think he can learn to be a decent center. but he is a project. next year he MIGHT provide some important minutes. but i dont see it this year.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2013, 01:14:35 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
He's a raw rookie who plays like a raw rookie. There's a reason in the D League, it's so he can improve and hopefully one day improve enough to contribute.

Bad games build experience, what he does with that determines how successful he can become.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2013, 01:34:52 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Hve you EVER played basketball....??? If you did, you would realize that NEVER having played in an NBA game, then SITTING ALL game waiting...this is usual doc type.....humiliation of rookies....he is a bad coach for sure.....there was plenty of time in that game to play melo, we had it all along in the bag.....garbage time is the worse time........it shows nothing......doc has a pitifully closed , small mind.......he uses none of his experience, and only goes back to the same routines.....So many things you can do to build up a guys confidence.....play him in real time a few times....2nd, third quarter for 2-5 minutes....then START him.....versus a team with an average big man...with kg at forward to talk to him often out there...or wilcox, who is a very mobile center/forward......this is how you bring a guy about......

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2013, 02:17:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Doc doesn't trust him we were by 15-20 at times and he only put in at the end.  I think it was very telling that none of his team mates threw his the ball.

I don't think he is a bust.   It's too early but he is a project and not as NBA ready as some here present.

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2013, 02:20:45 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Bradley proved many wrong, Melo too?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2013, 02:23:32 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
remember how horrible Bradley looked playing 2-3minutes in garbage time his rookie year?? and he developed into a solid rotation player on this team.

Melo will as well...guy has the potential it is just going to take time. I see him being a rotation player next year, and by year 3 should be a solid contributer.

look how long it took for Perk to develop?

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2013, 02:25:45 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
Time will tell like bradley, but i'm willing to vet that he will be better than collins. :D

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2013, 02:26:21 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Time will tell like bradley, but i'm willing to vet that he will be better than collins. :D

Or Haddadi!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2013, 02:28:39 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Hve you EVER played basketball....??? If you did, you would realize that NEVER having played in an NBA game, then SITTING ALL game waiting...this is usual doc type.....humiliation of rookies....he is a bad coach for sure.....there was plenty of time in that game to play melo, we had it all along in the bag.....garbage time is the worse time........it shows nothing......doc has a pitifully closed , small mind.......he uses none of his experience, and only goes back to the same routines.....So many things you can do to build up a guys confidence.....play him in real time a few times....2nd, third quarter for 2-5 minutes....then START him.....versus a team with an average big man...with kg at forward to talk to him often out there...or wilcox, who is a very mobile center/forward......this is how you bring a guy about......

TP!!

Who is this guy? ;)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2013, 02:43:34 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
no he is100x.  more gifted than Collins.  Collins has like a million years experience on Fab.

you can not bring guy sitting on the bench stone cold for two hours , who has never been in NBA game in his life and expect him to,play great for the last two minutes or really tell anything about him

it took Fab a lot of games in the D league to just begin to play up to that level.......

Fab had not been playing with the Celtics either.....and he has been hurt too

just amazing how impatient fans are......

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2013, 03:09:06 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I've seen plenty of Red Claws games. Melo just needs some time. Every rookie looks pretty bad in our system except for undersized PF's it seems. Every other rookie looks awful. Doc loves the KG/undersized PF combo. He might not see time until KG finally retires..

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2013, 03:09:53 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
I've seen plenty of Red Claws games. Melo just needs some time. Every rookie looks pretty bad in our system except for undersized PF's it seems. Every other rookie looks awful. Doc loves the KG/undersized PF combo. He might not see time until KG finally retires..

Nice observation.. Lol!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2013, 03:54:02 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Doc doesn't trust him we were by 15-20 at times and he only put in at the end.  I think it was very telling that none of his team mates threw his the ball.

I don't think he is a bust.   It's too early but he is a project and not as NBA ready as some here present.
THAT is an icredibly terrible thing to say.."none of his team mayes trusted him" i have seen many posts from you, and believe you did not mean it this way..... it is the responsibility of the team to make one a member, and greats like kg and pp can bring melo in.....i watched doc kill steamers confidence...hope he doesn't do it to melo...

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2013, 04:14:16 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Nice observation.. Lol!

Greg Steimsma and Semih Erden both looked outstanding in our system